THE TOP CHOICES FOR STOCKING A 10-GALLON TANK
- Neon Tetras – One of the most popular beginner species, Neon Tetras are an excellent choice for the smaller home aquarium. These fish generally reach a maximum size under 2 inches and they have bright silver bodies with an iridescent blue stripe and a bright red bar. If you are looking for a species to add color to your 10-gallon aquarium, consider a school of neon tetras.
- Dwarf Corydoras – Corydoras catfish make excellent bottom feeders for the community tank and dwarf corydoras are ideal for 10-gallon tanks. These fish grow to a maximum length around 1 to 1 ½ inches and they are very peaceful. Keep dwarf corydoras in schools of 6 or more.
- Pencilfish – These fish are named for the long, narrow shape of their bodies. Pencilfish generally grow no more than 2 inches in length and they are very peaceful by nature. These fish prefer warm temperatures and slightly acidic water, though they are fairly adaptable. Keep these fish in schools of 8 to 10 or more.
- Dwarf Lamprologus – One of the smaller, shell-dwelling species of cichlids, the dwarf lamprologus is a good choice for the 10-gallon tank. This species can be a little territorial but they generally do well if they are the only bottom-dwelling species in the tank. This fish grows to a maximum length around 1 ½ inches and they have pink-brown bodies with electric blue markings.
- Cardinal Tetras – Very similar in size and color to the neon tetra, cardinal tetras are a very peaceful species that tends to do well in community tanks. Cardinal tetras are omnivorous fish that will accept a wide variety of foods and they enjoy densely planted aquariums. This species has the same blue and red coloration as the neon tetra but they have a little more red to them. Feeding these fish a high-quality diet will help to bring out their color.
- Zebra Danios – These fish are named for their striped appearance and they make excellent additions to the community tank. Zebra danios are a schooling species best kept with 6 or more of their own kind and they are very peaceful. These fish come with short fins or long, flowing fins - there is also a leopard-spotted variety.
- Sparkling Gouramis – While many gouramis grow fairly large, the sparkling gourami is an exception – it only grows to a maximum length around 1 ½ inches. These peaceful fish have gold-colored bodies with brown, green, and red iridescent speckles – they are a great showcase fish for a 10-gallon tank. Speckled gouramis are omnivorous fish so they should be fed a varied diet and, to avoid timidity, they should be kept with other peaceful fish.
- White Cloud Mountain Minnows – The white cloud is an excellent beginner species because these fish are very small and they are adaptable to various water conditions. White clouds grow no larger than 2 inches in length and they enjoy a planted tank. These fish are omnivorous and they are best kept in groups with 8 or more of their own species.
- Harlequin Rasbora – If you are looking for a colorful fish that will bring your 10-gallon tank to life, consider the harlequin rasbora. These fish grow to a maximum length of 2 inches and they have bright copper-colored bodies with a black patch near the tail. These fish love planted tanks and they are generally happiest when kept in schools of 8 to 10.
- Dwarf Gouramis – Like the speckled gourami, the dwarf gourami is an excellent choice for a showcase fish because they are brightly colored but still remain small. This species features bright red and blue coloration and they are peaceful fish that generally do well in community tanks.
If you have your heart set on a smaller aquarium, a 10-gallon tank certainly can work but you will need to be very careful about choosing your fish and be mindful about maintaining high water quality. It may take some extra time and maintenance but it is definitely a goal that can be accomplished.
Most Recent Forum Discussions
- Starlinks - Web Design Agency New Zealand - By johnbright, 07/20/17 09:21:23 pm (0 replies)
John Bright is a professional web designer and is experienced in offering high quality solutions to his clientele in everything related to web designing. He ...
- Biocube? - By xxluckxx, 07/19/17 02:23:51 am (0 replies)
Who uses a Biocube as a marine aquarium? Anything I should know?
- Fitness tracker - By blenny, 07/09/17 07:09:36 pm (0 replies)
I'd like to start walking more and wanted a fitness tracker to see how many steps (or miles) I have walked etc. I don't know ...