HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN SPONGE FILTER
Advantages of a Sponge Filter
- Filter sponge
- Sharp knife
- Hard plastic tubing
- Hammer and small nail
- Air pump
- Aquarium airline tubing
- Cut a piece of filter sponge to the desired shape and size using a sharp knife. For corner placement, the ideal shape for the sponge is a triangle. To cut your filter sponge into a triangle, cut a square of it in half diagonally from one corner to the opposite corner. A circular, square, or rectangular shape is sufficient for other placements within the tank.
- Make holes in the piece of hard plastic tubing by driving a small nail all the way through both sides of the tube with a hammer. First measure the tube against the height of the piece of filter sponge you cut to determine how much of the tube will be inside the sponge. Mark the height of the sponge on the tube and make approximately 8 to 10 holes per inch of tubing that will be inside the sponge.
- Plug the end of the hard plastic tube with a piece of Styrofoam and insert it into the center of the sponge by first making a depression in the sponge with your finger then press the tube into the hole and all the way through the sponge.
- Attach the intake valve of the air pump to the top of the hard plastic tube.
- Cut a piece of aquarium airline tubing to a length of 3 to 4 inches and attach it to the outtake valve of the air pump.
- Place your sponge filter in the desired location in your aquarium. Secure the air pump to the wall of the aquarium with suction cups, if desired, and position the output tube so that water is released near the surface.
Most Recent Forum Discussions
- Aquaclear 50 power filter - By billy_corycat, 09/11/18 02:41:38 am (1 replies)
Is this too powerful for a 20 gallon? I'm thinking about switching my filter over to this, but I'm not really sure if it's meant ...
- Purple fish? - By clownfishgirl, 09/03/18 01:28:40 am (1 replies)
I want at least one purple fish for my aquarium, I'm trying to think of some. There was one in particular I had in mind ...
- An interesting fish, suggestions please! - By reefer171, 08/28/18 11:36:43 am (1 replies)
I'm considering a large fish for my aquarium - well, not really large, but center piece sized. What do you reckon would be a good ...