JEWEL CICHLID SPECIES PROFILE
- Hemichromis angolensis
- Hemichromis bimaculatus
- Hemichromis cerasogaster
- Hemichromis elongatus
- Hemichromis exsul
- Hemichromis fasciatus
- Hemichromis frempongi
- Hemichromis guttatus
- Hemichromis letourneuxi
- Hemichromis lifalili
- Hemichromis stellifer
- African Jewelfish (Hemichromis bimaculatus) – This species of jewel cichlid grows up to about 6 inches long and it has a red body with blue spots. These fish are native to West Africa and they require warm water and slightly acidic pH to thrive in the home aquarium. It is also important to note that this species can be very aggressive, especially during breeding, so they may not be a good choice for a community cichlid tank.
- Banded Jewelfish (Hemichromis fasciatus) – Also known as the five-spot cichlid, the banded jewelfish comes from West Africa where it can be found in the upper Zambezi River, the Nile Basin, and Lake Chad. This species grows to about 10 inches long and it has a yellow-green color with five large black patches along the side. These fish tend to do best in pairs and should be kept in a very large tank, at least 55 gallons.
- Blood-Red Jewel Cichlid (Hemichromis lifalili) – This is one of the most recognizable jewel cichlid species, known for its dark red coloration with rows of small blue spots. These fish grow up to 4 inches long and they tend to breed fairly easily in the home aquarium.
Most Recent Forum Discussions
- setting up tank - By vostric, (0 replies)
I have a 20G tank, with a nice open space in the middle of my Eco-Complete substrate, I have my heater and filtration in, I ...
- Brown algae on plants - By billy_corycat, (1 replies)
What can I do about brown algae on my plants? What causes this? And will it kill my plants?
- Black friday sales? - By billy_corycat, (0 replies)
Is there anything aquarium related that usually goes on sale for Black Friday? I'm wondering if there's anything I could save money on - this ...