GUIDE FOR KEEPING ANEMONES IN A REEF TANK
- Bulb Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor) – The bulb anemone is one of the most commonly used anemones in the aquarium hobby. This species is named for the bulb-like tip at the end of each tentacle. These anemones typically have brown columns with green, brown, or bright orange tentacles. This species may reproduce asexually in the tank which makes it particularly interesting to keep.
- Adhesive Anemone (Cryptodendrum adhaesivum) – This type of anemone is sometimes sold as the “pizza anemone” because it has rounded, ridged edges that resemble a pizza crust. The adhesive anemone is very unique in appearance but it does have a potent sting – it may not do much harm to humans, but it can be dangerous for certain tank inhabitants.
- Beaded Anemone (Heteractis aurora) – The beaded anemone is named for the beadlike swellings along the length of its tentacles which may be brown, green, or purple in color. This species tends to burrow into sand or gravel instead of anchoring itself to hard substrate and it is a host for seven different anemonefishes. The beaded anemone is fairly easy to keep in the home aquarium as long as a thick bed of sand and adequate illumination are provided.
- Corkscrew Anemone (Macrodactyla doreensis) – The corkscrew anemone has a dull orange or red column with several rows of small bumps running up its length. This species tends to prefer soft substrates, burying its base in sand or mud. When provided with a suitable habitat, the corkscrew anemone is a fairly hardy species.
Most Recent Forum Discussions
- setting up tank - By vostric, (0 replies)
I have a 20G tank, with a nice open space in the middle of my Eco-Complete substrate, I have my heater and filtration in, I ...
- Brown algae on plants - By billy_corycat, (1 replies)
What can I do about brown algae on my plants? What causes this? And will it kill my plants?
- Black friday sales? - By billy_corycat, (0 replies)
Is there anything aquarium related that usually goes on sale for Black Friday? I'm wondering if there's anything I could save money on - this ...