Advice:Anything in living room needs the wife approval so I would recommend the book "The Inspired Aquarium" by Jeff Senske and Mike Senske.
- The Tropical Marine Fish Survival Manual by Gordon kay
- Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael
- 500 Ways to be a better saltwater fishkeeper
- The Conscientious Marine Aquarist
- Aquariums for Dummies
MY BOTTOM LINE ADVICE:
0. MOST IMPORTANT: This hobby is expensive. This setup is $2500 with a used tank and used live rock. This setup new would be $4000. Add $400 for dead fish... I lost half the livestock in the first 6 months while the tank is getting stabilized. Annual costs $300 for salt, electric, bulbs, replace broken equipment, frozen food.
2. Maintain the best water quality (get a Reef Octopus BH2000 protein skimmer with external pump to minimize heat. Don't buy the useless AquaC Remora protein skimmer because it's noisy, has ugly pump inside your tank, adds heat to your water, and I've only seen it work with the water as dirty yellow instead of clear water)
4. Butterfly fish (even heniochus so I gave up after the 4th one died due to aggression from emperor angel, coral beauty, singapore angel and yellow tang) are very very fragile so don't waste your money.
5. Use Selcon food additive to prevent HLLE disease.
Description:wide 100 gallons tank with Emperor, tangs, angels.
Corals/Plants:1 gorgonian, green star polyps, purple star polyps, cactus coral, green and purple candy cane, fiji cup coral, purple and red mushroom anemones, colt coral, kenya trees, green zoas, birdsnest, and frogspawn
Fish Kept:2-mandarin dragonettes 1 scooter blenny ,1-yellow tang, 2-blue damsels 1-yellowtail damsel,1-lawnmower blenny,1-bengi cardinal,1 chocolate triggerfish,1-clarks clown, 1-true percula clown,2- coral banded mated pair,1 purple lobster,5 peppermint shrimp 2pistol shrimp mated pair astrea snails pincushion urchin starfish cerith snails nassarius snails star astreas green wart sea slug green lettus sea slug sexy anemone shrimpemerald crabs pom pom crabs blue knuckle hermit electric blue hermit dwarf blue leg hermits tube worms coco worms feather dusters copepods amphipods rotifers phyto-and zooplankton 1-condy anemone derassa clam
Corals/Plants:acropora sp 5 specie torch coral frog spawn kenya tree pom pom xenia ricordea red mushrooms zoanthids palythoas button polyps rainbow acan ausi lord neon green maze brain maroon brain toadstool leather elephant ear mushroom candycane coral green and pink star polyps platinum torch dendrophyllia sun coral duncans pagoda coral yellow sea sponge caulerpa chaetomorpha red titan macro algae and ton ton more too much to name
Corals/Plants:Purple Tip Frogs Pawn, Green Closed Brain Coral, Blue Mushrooms, Fluorescent Green Mushrooms, Toadstool, Palm Trees, Green Bay Packer Zooanthids, Orange Skirt Polyps, Electric Crocea Clams,Bright Green Montipora Digitata,Bright Yellow Polyps
Advice:1. Lots of live rock, crabs, and snails.
2. Pick your friends wisely.
3. Keep your water clean 20% a week.
4. Run your Magnet cleaner once a day.
5. Feed your fish 3 times a day small amounts. They will love you...
Description:I wanted to feel I was right there in my tank. Some of my dreams start off right here. I will have the most fantastic dream sometimes. A Mermaid appears...Oh Ya..
About Yourself:I was planning my house and decided a aquarium room divider was a good idea, after a few quotes i decided building the tank would be cheaper and more rewarding so with the help of my father in-law we built the tank, Electrician by trade with no real aquarium experience, knowledge from books/internet.
Corals/Plants:minimal at the moment waiting for more rock for fathers day.
Quote: Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.
About Yourself:My father had a 55 gallon plexi-glass tank I used to watch it and the fish smiled at me, he passed away in 09, I am trying my hardest to carry on his hobby and honestly am learning a lot about the passion he had for the ocean and the hobby. I am a Supervisor at H&D.