Tank shuffle

172 posts • Page 13 of 18

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Alasse

by Alasse

I wont get everything ready before my operation unfortunately, so am doing the rounds of my tanks to get WC and filter cleans done before Wednesday

Today i got

the adult apple snail tank done (50% WC and new wool and carbon)
the goldie tank done (70% WC & full clean of filter, sponge, spraybar tubes, impeller, new carbon)

Alasse

by Alasse

Yesterday the 5ft got done, plants and wood removed, water change and front half deep gravel clean, back half only surface clean.

Wood replaced (different scape), plants cleaned up (removal of any damaged leaves), topped back up. Canister pulled down, fully rinsed and fine wool replaced.

Surgery now postponed til Thursday, so will do remaining tanks tomorrow, then all should be good for the next 8 weeks. I will be checking stats, if any are showing signs of trouble, i'll ask on another forum i'm on if anyone can give me a hand, or worst comes to worst, i'll get my youngest son to do some changes (with supervision of course)

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Wow I can't believe I seen this forum popup lol. I'm glad to see the progress. Just thought I'd tell you thanks for all the tips on accidental breeding. I now have 2 fry growing up fast and suddenly found another holding eggs. Funny story about the current breeders is that I bought the lot of them from a guy at my LFS. He was trying to get them to breed and they never did so he wanted to switch to EB JD. He hates to hear how big they are getting. Close to sale size. Then, to my surprise, my girlfriend and I were tearing apart my 125 to seperate some fish temporarily only to find seven surviving baby's of an unknown couple. How this one slipped by me I'll never know since we stare at our tank at night instead of a TV. I just love the fact that we now have a baby making factory going here and can't wait for my first fry sale. May just frame the first dollar made lol. My girlfriend just loves this hobby lol. Told her I may need a fish room myself to raise these dang babies. Her reply, "Any tank that will fit out the window will fit out the window". Hahaaa! I just love going tank to tank and seeing all the action. Now if I can just get everything in order in the plant department:( I will find harmony with plants and ciclids! I'll have to work on getting some pics of the babies. My other problem will now be solved in the never finding females department since I'll be raising my own! Wtg on the progress Alasse always a pleasure watching your growth in the hobby!
44312-Video 144 0 00 11-16 - Copy.jpg

Alasse

by Alasse

Thanx d2r...

All tank business for has come to a stop while i recover. And going by the pain i am in at presnt it could be a little while :(

Alasse

by Alasse

A pic of the 5fts stop gap scape
a11ba-5ft 9th Mar 2011.jpg

Alasse

by Alasse

The goldies have moved into the pond (freezer).

Not much else happening. Im hanging to get into the changes i want to do, but sadly i just cant at present.

I have 11 staples in my elbow, and have VERY limited movement. Hopefully with physio that will soon change...oh well i'll just have to be patient *sigh*

Alasse

by Alasse

I dropped by my LFS and its still there!!! I soooo want this fish, but really not ready for it yet, due to my arm. Problem being there are very few of its type around *sigh*

If it is still there at my next visit, i will be buying it, and it will come home to temporary digs until the 5ft is ready. Its not happy at the LFS, the tank is way to small, at leat what it temp will be in at home will be at least twice the size of what its got.

I'm already picking out names *LOL* I'm sorta hoping its still there, and will be heartbroken if it isnt, but figure its either fated to be mine or not :D

And nope still not telling, other than its approx 30cm long and gorgeous :D:D

Alasse

by Alasse

I have removed most of the plants from the 5ft and got the 3ft roughly scaped/planted. Considering i cant see into it more than a few cm, its a bit of a pot luck *L* Thats what i get for moving some of the planted substrate out of the 5ft and just dropping it into a partially filled 3ft *L* Oh well it'll clear. The fish are all still in the 5ft for now, and mighty peeved cause i took their hidey places away. Took me nearly all day to do it, one handed and all, but the withdrawals of not being able to play in my tanks was killing me!!! Tomorrow i'll drop a heater in to it, bring it up to temp and depending how clear it is, i may move the fish over.

Just had a wee peek on my way past, the substrate dump is settling quite quickly, reckon it will be pretty much clear by the morning. Will then clean out the filter and run it for a bit longer. It has an airstone in there at present, that will be removed tomorrow, as i'm thinking of doing a DIY CO2 on this tank and adding carbon (and fertz once i order them)

The 5ft will get it face lift as soon as the fish move out (the loaches will go to temp digs while i do that) I've decided to keep the same gravel in the tank, but i will need to remove the dino dung, and boy is that gonna be messy *sigh*

I'll be grabbing the log outta the 4ft to add into the 5ft, the fake ferns (from the 3ft) will move into here and the log will be used to help hold them in place (the hopeful new fish is a big redecorator *L*)

Should be cool, will just take a bit longer for me to do is all :)

Alasse

by Alasse

Thanx Heidi!

Today........

....I finally finished planting the 3ft, it now has 2 internals running on it. The heater isnt really big enough for it so i'll have to get another when i get the chance. It is clearing and is warming, so alls good for now. I've also added another 2ft light until i can get a 3ft T5 unit for it

I spent the last hour looking for a powerboard , cause the 2 in the tank corner are full and i wanted to add 2 more things lol. So had to run another cord from a different place for the powerboard i finally found *L* Anyway the extra internal and light are now working.

Soooooooooo one tank done *L* Fish will move over shortly and then i can start the 5ft

I dropped my bottle of liquid calcium, the plastic split and i lost nearly half.....argggggggggggg

Alasse

by Alasse

Fish have now moved over, except the clown loaches (they're staying in the 5ft). Done a rough layout of decor and ferns. Gotta dog the log outta the 4ft, then alls good. Plenty of hidong spots for the loaches to get away from big fishie *L*

Log now out, 5ft setup and just gotta clear. I didnt end up pullling planted substrate out, i'll prolly pay for that decision, but oh well *L* So the 2 clown loaches have the 5ft to themselves at this stage. Ya dont think i'm overstocked do ya???? *LOL*

Pulled everything out of the 4ft to give it a good clean (i needed the log that was smack bang in the middle of rock and terrocotta pile *L*, noticed some dead spots (crap masses), so a change around of the rocks and such to happen, just letting the filter clean up a bit of it, then will do a sand clean before rescaping

Tank shuffle

172 posts • Page 13 of 18