WTF IS THIS???

704 posts • Page 5 of 71

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

gumbii

by gumbii

kjal;sdjf;lkasdjf;lsafjksladfjskldfjl;sjdflas...

zambize

by zambize

And about PETA. Don't be so quick to judge. There are many good reasons to preserve the wild nature of wild animals. For example, people like to erradicate feral cat colonies, but when they do they are often overrun by mice, rats, snakes, gophers, etc. because they upset the natural balance. PETA is not always just hugging puppies, they base their mission on what is fair, natural, and humane for all living creatures, including us (and even the assholes).

And as far as a fish having a better life span in a fish tank...I would have a longer life span in an environmentally perfect bubble, but I'd rather die young.

Zambize

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

lol

gumbii

by gumbii

okay... i see our point zambize... but... did the world get over run by grains and rice when we started domesticating the wild chicken...??? or grass when we took the cows home..??? those psycho's at peta want us to stop feeding and breeding ALL domestic animals... including chickens, dogs, fish, corals, turtles, and ferrets... even if that means that they will go extincts in the process...

all of thoe animals... well... besides for the dogs and most fish, will rapidly just get wiped off of the face of the planet... like the caristrophes and other fish i'm breeding my in house... if 2 other guys and I wouldn't breed them, they would of been extinct allready...

and as for the life span thing... i've seen videos of my friends in south america filming whole colonies of young wild discuss getting eaten by pirhana's... i know if alot of fish people were to see that, you guy's would trip... but eh... you know...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'd-like-it-if-the-tallest-trees-in-the-world-would-be-better-protected.......I've-seen-how-the-lumber-companies-cut-all-the-timber-on-the-slopes-leaving-a-few-groves-of-the-biggest-trees-at-the-valley-floor.......Problem-is,-now-there-are-huge-floods-because-the-rain-isn't-being-soaked-up-on-the-hillsides,-and-the-floods-take-away-all-the-deep-loam-and-rotting-fallen-trees-which-the-remaining-trees-need-as-fertiliser.......I-bet-the-trees-left-end-up-dying-because-of-this.

I'd-also-like-it-if-the-Blue-whales-and-Great-White-sharks-didn't-become-extinct-either.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i'm gonna be the devils advocate here ............so please don't attack me...lol it's just a thought ...............................

as i was talking about where the line is as it relates to protecting a species until it becomes inconvienient to us {humans} ----- some of the most detrimental damge to the forests is done because one of the natural progression of forests is stopped by us......FIRE...........without fire forests become congested and overgrown, un healthy, shallow rootstructures, thin tall weak trees ...etc etc etc ...and then we have mud slides wind destruction, bad building matierals and other catastophies...............then when we do have a fire it is so destructive because we have been storeing up fuel with the overgrowth that it destroys everything rather than a "brush burn off"

if you go to the redwoods....you can see evidence of fires in the trees......they survive and continue to grow.............they actually grow better.........my point being....we don't see the green people picketing the firemen out on the west coast....why? because it might burn some bodies house down....so thats acceptable? I hate double standards...............i hate it when people jump on some bandwagon until it affects their life and becomes a hinderance to them ...............sorry about the rant....it wasn't directed at anyone in here......it's just a thought like i said..................love to all.....Snowboss

and i agree with not wipeing out the whale or the shark....................a chain is only as strong as it's links so....if we remove one link ....we no longer have a chain ...................................even snakes .....ew ew ew ew ew ew LMAO

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

You're-absolutely-right-about-the-fire-situation,-and-to-add,-some-tree-seeds-can't-grow-unless-burned-by-fire......and-fires-do-put-minerals-into-the-soil.

I-just-looked-at-the-ground-at-the-bottom-of-the-valleys-and-there's-like-less-than-6-inches-of-loam.

I-think-there's-(1)a-problem-with-people-taking-out-too-much-biomass-in-the-clearcut-areas,(2)-there-being-clear-cut-areas-that-promote-flooding-and-the-washing-away-of-loam,-and(3)-that-fires-aren't-allowed-to-periodically-burn-back-the-brush-and-enrich-the--soil-with-nutrients.

I'm-not-against-logging-altogether,-I-just-wish-so-much-of-our-wood-didn't-get-shipped-overseas-and-I'd-like-to-be-able-to-show-my-son-these-huge-trees-before-they-all-die.......I-grew-up-on-50-acres-of-mostly-woodlot-and-my-dad-and-I-carefully-selected-trees-to-cut,-either-because-they-needed-thinning,-or-because-they-were-dead.......The-lumber-companies-in-the-area-I-grew-up-also-managed-the-forests-so-that-only-a-small-percent-of-the-trees-were-logged-at-any-one-time.

An-areal-veiw-of-some-areas-away-from-the-main-roads-in-the-north-west-US-shows-completely-layed-bare-mountians-completely-clearcut.....It's-hidden-from-the-general-public-because-logging-companies-leave-a-strip-of-forrest-along-major-roads-so-you-don't-see-it.....I-think-it's-done-better-in-the-East,-but-then-again-you-have-to-look-pretty-hard-to-find-old-growth-as-it's-the-biggest,-nicest-trees-that-are-selected-by-loggers-unless-it's-in-a-national-park-and-logging-isn't-allowed.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

I agree 100%.....so much that I'm researching an attachment for my skidsteer that allows me to "mulch" up to an 8 inch tree and simply turn into biomass....DEC compliant, doesn't rip out the root structure and allow water errosion and with in a 7 foot swath i can pick and choose what tree to remove and what tree to leave....it's very desirable for high end deveolpments....why rip out a 100 year old tree during standard lot clearing and then turn around and pay upwards of 5000 dollars for a tree half its size at the end of the project? ....of course my complaint with being environmentally correct is the cost ......this attachmment is in the 35,000 dollar range, very high maintinence and very dangerous, 60 carbide teeth spinning at extreamely high RPM ............ just to do a specific type of work

when i lived out in Kansas they burn off the fields every spring, to replenish the nutrients and save costs of rewoking the ground as much......talk about beautiful.................take a nice spring nights drive out into the country and see nothing but controlled fire lines for miles and miles and miles....very beautiful...........and on a side note....of the thousands and thousnads of acres burned off every single year....i have yet to see an out of controll brush fire on the 6 o'clock news from the midwest....interesting

................................Boss

thisfish884485

by thisfish884485

It says right on it that the fish is dead.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

edit
Last edited by ChristinaBug2890 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WTF IS THIS???

704 posts • Page 5 of 71