WTF IS THIS???

704 posts • Page 7 of 71

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

zambize

by zambize

Gumbii said, "keep your comments to yourself and go back to worry about your tiny planted tank stocked with tetras... and i'll worry about my thousand dollar koi, hundred dollar goldfish"

Gumbii -- I've noticed several times that you place value on a fish (or dog) based on its monatary value. I think that's where the disconnect between you and some others (and myself) stems from. Several people are speaking of animals as having value as a living being, and not based on how much it sells for, or if it's "just a fish".

Zambize

gumbii

by gumbii

hmm... well i'm pretty sure i take better care of a goldfish that i paid 350 dollars for than someone that got a goldfish for 2.99 at walmart...

i work hard for all of my pets... among all of my friends and the fish club that's what we all do... if we're going to get a snake as a pet, we would rather get something like a rare indigo snake rather than a common corn snake... you get what i'm saying...? even thought they require special attention and care...

it's like when i used to race... you get what you pay for... if you want to win or represent yo uhave to spend cash... and if you want something rewarding, and challenging you go for the exotics... lol...

i'm insane... but i think i make a little sense...

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

I see both sides... very interesting. Reminds me of the war debate. Do we sacrafice a few good men and women (soldiers) so that the rest of society can enjoy the fruits of their efforts, or do we keep them safe at home and learn to live in a subpar economy? I don't think Gumbii is meaning to place a value on a certain fish, but the economy has already done this for him (specifically fish owners!). If a koi is worth thousands, you go to greater toils to retain its value and existence. A koi's life isn't any more valuable than a tetra, but the monetary worth is much greater so the effort/risks are much higher to keep it on market. Thus is the nature of keeping animals as pets... the business end of it will displease certain people who would rather not deal with the business end of it, but that end of it must be dealt with by someone or we wouldn't enjoy them as pets.

And Zambize and that side is correct as well... maybe a towel in the trunk of a car is not the best way to transport fish... If koi's require this type of transport due to their size, then it should be done with a transportable tank. And if cost is an issue, the koi should be priced accordingly to accomodate this transport, just like any other commodity. Otherwise, this could be considered a koi mill, of sorts.

zambize

by zambize

I get you Gum, but your position isn't true for me. I really don't put extra effort into an animal based on how much it cost. I take in rescued dogs, every one has issues either psychologically or physically. For my mutt Dachshund, he cost me $85 to buy, but I've spent nearly $10,000 for his back surgeries, $500 for a new sofa, $1200 to replace a room of carpet, many hundreds in chewed up blankets, comforters, shoes...you get the picture. And this is just one of my dogs.

Your last post still maintains that you place a significant portion of an animal's "worth" based on its monatary value. But for me, it is not true that I can only expect to "get what I pay for" or that for something rewarding I need to get an exotic. There is no purebred, rare, or otherwise expensive dog that could be more rewarding than any $85 dog I've had.

Sponge --
"the business end of it (keeping animals as pets) will displease certain people who would rather not deal with the business end of it," This has absolutely nothing to do with my personal stance. I have dealt intensely, for years, with the business end of it because that is where the greatest changes can be made.

And "If a koi is worth thousands, you go to greater toils to retain its value and existence." you've reiterated my original point here. People too often base an animal's worth on how much it cost. I'm in full agreement with your statement here, but I disagree with thinking that it's acceptable.

Zambize

snowboss

by snowboss

interesting ............it brings me back to the "line" and where is it? i agree with both sides of this fence {for once in my life, lol} unfortunatley while i agree that life in and of itself is the value period............we humans are as a rule are inately driven on putting a value of some sort on everything weather it be an emotional value to the cycleist who just rode 150 miles just to do it or the real estate broker who signed that beach front property - -unfortunatley a bungalo on the beach is worth far more than a cabin in the hills - - in a market driven society, now personal value plays big in this as well.............ie. personally id rather live in the cabin than on the beach.............but i can't deny that the beach house comands more money...............that being said, it is only natural {wether we like it or not} that some species have more value than other monetarily speaking - -i have had 800 dollar labs that were friggin worthless and i had a free lab mix that was the best dog in the whole world ..............i own a pure bred boxer whose mother won the Eukanuba best in class 6 years ago and two of her litter mates sold for 3500 each - - BUT my lil Lexi is pure white and therefore completely worthless as far as the ABA {American Boxer Assoc.} is concerned - -but again this lil worthless dog with 3500 dollar blood in her is a sweetheart and a very good companion

So yes we put values on everything....Z wouldn't take a million dollars for her 85 dollar dog and Gumbii wouldn't give her 1 dollar for it - - -i don't think either of them are wrong.....just different minded - -- gotta love the checks and balances of this species we belong to eh????

Boss

gumbii

by gumbii

my favorite pet in the past was a huge bull frog i found in the river beds of the mountains... lol...

and my pigeons were 100% free... and i take great care of them, i even give them vitamins and inject them when they are sick... i didn't want to say that i will take more care of a 1,000 dollar finch than i would a wild caught finch... i'm just saying that they will be appreciated more by the owner...

like my monicle cobras... they were some of my most expensive snakes... and i built them a huge enclosure with everything they need... i totally pimped out thier tank... i have other common culubrids in racks and shoe boxes... i didn't do that to push them aside... but i did it because of the space and well... the rarity of the cobras... that, and i don't want to put them in a small space where they get a chance to bite me in the eye or something...

zambize

by zambize

Boss -- "that being said, it is only natural {wether we like it or not} that some species have more value than other monetarily speaking" ---- This I agree with. Money is our unit of exchange. My point is that too many people determine how they treat (or don't treat) an animal based on its money value, and not whether an animal should or shouldn't have money value.

Gumbii -- Aw, I see your sensitive side, rather than that abrasive, scaly side. :) I think it was the pigeon vitamins that got me. ;) I see that we do have points of this in common.....as we usually do.

Off to open another $45 bag of dog food for my $85 dog....

Zambize

snowboss

by snowboss

now that everyone has dropped their pants - -it looks like we are all human - - lol - - -ok Gumbii pull yer pants up LMAO !!!!!!

Boss

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Zambize, i do agree with you... my statement about the greater toils on the business end meant that if you were planning on selling something, you will spend more energy and money to handle it. In your case, you arent spending all that money on the dog to turn around and sell it, so thats very humane and generous of you to better its life. However, if you were to deal with selling that dog again, you won't spend that kind of money, because it wont be economically feasible to keep it up, eventually it will become too expensive as a business. I agree that the business side is where things need to change, such as prohibiting the sale of animals that require mishandling in order to reach the market at an affordable price. But don't confuse my stance, i am completely on your side... i just can't discount the business end of things when it comes to making these animals available to the public. :)

bigfish0016429

by bigfish0016429

While everyone has been sitting here crying about the poor fish did anyone realize that the caption below the picture said that it was already dead.

WTF IS THIS???

704 posts • Page 7 of 71