What kind of set up should I get for my office?

56 posts • Page 1 of 6

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

newbie916

by newbie916

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out what kind of set up I should get for my office. I'm a partner in a financial services firm and I'm moving into a new office. You guys have been helping me out tremendously in the last few months. As you know I have a 100 gallon reef set up at home and 12 gallon quarantine tank, but my current set up would be too loud for my office. The powerheads and sump make a lot of noise, which would be very distracting in appointments. However, a reef system will be an excellent art piece for my new office. My LFS guy told me to get 150 gallon coral only system, but I'm thinking it's a little overboard. I want my clients to pay attention to me rather than look at my tank the whole time:) I'm thinking between a 40 gallon to 80 gallon. Do you guys have any suggestions of products and systems. I'm thinking about an overall cost between $2500-$3500. I will probably look at craigslist because I noticed a lot of people having to sell their systems, coral, live rock, etc. cheap due to this dragging economy, but I could use your help at identifying what I'm looking for.

Thanks again,
newbie916

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Go with a biocube. They are f'ing awesome. They are made by oceanic and are setup to run for reef systems. They come in 8, 14, and 29 gallon. They already have the coolest filtration and lighting built in. They lights are like double what is needed. Straight from the store it's a sure bet for an easy setup reef tank. The tank also has a hood on it that covers up the noise from filtration and also prevents too evaporation. I would say the 29 gallon would be fine for an office.

gumbii

by gumbii

get a 34g red sea max...

that would be kicking rad...

or hold on... there are some other cubes on drsfostersmith site...

gumbii

by gumbii

newbie916

by newbie916

Sounds good. That's what my initial thinking was, but my LFS guy wants me to buy a bigger setup. Of course, more money for him. I didn't want too big of a tank for my office because I was dreading water changes. I know there are several brands that provide Nano tanks. You think the Oceanic's are the best? I've got a cheap 12 gallon Salt water Eclipse system and it's very quiet, but very limited in the livestock I could keep. I was initially against having a salt water system. My wife actually talked me into getting it for our son. Boy does she regret it now:) That's the reason why I bought a 100 gallon was so that I could have corals. I could probably trick out a 29 gallon pretty nicely and keep the costs well under my budget.

gumbii

by gumbii

no... get the red sea max...

i allready said it... so it shall be done...

34g is so FTMFW!!!...

gumbii

by gumbii

this 25g is pretty FTW too...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=18993

it's pretty stylish... and i've seen one in action at an LFS... pretty quiet...

newbie916

by newbie916

The Red Sea Max reef kit look pretty nice and I could upgrade the bulbs. Definitely fits within my budget. I think that's the set up I will go with.

Thanks

jweb1369

by jweb1369

The red sea max is $799.99?? screw that... The biocube is way less expensive.

gumbii

by gumbii

shut your freaken face JEWb1369...

anyways newbie... i think the red sea kit looks the best and more presentable than the other ones... if it was in my office i would love it... but... in my office i'm going to put a 80g reef... in my boss' office, he's getting a 125g SPS tank...

56 posts • Page 1 of 6