Something weird I found under a rock, need help identifying

55 posts • Page 4 of 6

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Thanx Zambi. I don't see the 125 pic yet and clicked the delete button for the cat when I was trying to make the 125 main profile pic. I'll add it back as additional tank pic. The big herd of fish at the top on the 125 pic are not in there now. I just put a little 10 gallon in the bedroom with 2 female mollies and 4 babies mollies, 6 male guppies and 6 smaller mickey mouse platies. Most of the platies, mollies and about 6 female guppies are in the 30 gallon in the kitchen until I can get rid of them. I want to get something different, tired of seeing all those orange fish. We had about 6 dogs and moved here so had to give them all away, but they were big dogs and would've already broke the tanks in here if they were here due to them getting all excited, rippin and runnin, etc., and that would be a mess. I wouldn't know where to start cleaning up a broken aquarium, glass all over the floor, dead fish and all the water. I would probably start with what broke the aquarium and then clean up the mess. lol This cat does his running at night, bouncing off countertops, tables, etc., but I think the tanks are too heavy for him to knock over. He does have this habit I need to break that he just started. He likes to stand up on his back feet and put his 2 front feet on the 125 bottom brace and scratch and claw at it and try to get the fish, gonna have to sneak up on him and get him!

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Fishy

I forgot to mention that the tank was empty when Tucker pulled it to the floor. I have 4 dogs, I had 5 but the 14-year-old Golden died. I can't imagine getting rid of any of them, even the brat that broke the tank. I rescued them all and promised them that this is their forever home and that they will never lose their home again, for any reason. The same for my 6 cats...

Since they are all rescues (and I pick only the most emotionally damaged) they come with their quirks, usually, but I come with baggage too.

Zambize

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

lol We all have some baggage. I would've loved to take my dogs with me, but the landlord would've had a fit. I did foster to psycho cats who were feral, but after a month of listening to the cats growl worse than dogs, hissing, and trying to scratch and bite me, I called the lady to come and get them. She brought me a sweet cat that I had for 2 years until she escaped during a blizzard here on President's day, then I got this blue russian from adoption who his previous owner moved out and left him and another cat locked in a kennel in a wet basement. I guess if the tank was empty, this cat could probably knock an aquarium over.

I have one question. I see mostly bettas in your profile. Do your bettas ever get their fins sucked into the power/water filter? I have had 4 bettas in the past 2 years. The first betta got sucked against the filter. I walked in the kitchen and seen him wrapped around the pipe that pulls up the garbage and he was already drowned. I got another one and I caught him against the pipe too, but I got a net and rescued him, but then he did it again, but was too late. I then got 2 bettas a week apart because the first betta picked up my 6 inch pleco at the time by the tail and swung him backwards upside a seashell and kept abusing the pleco, so I got him a playmate, another betta, and I had both in the tank, and they didn't fight, they just stayed on the opposite end of the tank away from each other. It wasn't but a couple of days that ick spread through the tank, and when I went back to wal-mart, all of their bettas were gone and they had a lot of buckets of them along with a lot of fish in the aquariums, and when I asked about them, a lady said they all got sick and they were not going to carry anymore at that wal-mart. A lot of fish died from the ick because I didn't have enough ick treatment, and the 2 bettas died. I am wanting to get another betta this week to sleep in the leaves at the top, but was wondering is there anything special you do for the pipe to the filter to prevent them from getting sucked against it and drowning?

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Fishy -
For my Bettas I use very small, gentle filters, there's barely a disturbance at the surface. My Betta tanks are 5 gallons and 6.6 gallons and I use the smallest filters possible. I believe they are for 3-5 gallon tanks. There is hardly a ripple at the surface. I doubt there is much suction at the filter base. Stop putting Bettas in that tank. And Bettas don't like to share their space, even though they will, it isn't optimal for them and it is a risk to them and their tank mate. I've had a good experience with a female Betta in a community tank, but I would never have tried it if I didn't know Bettas real well.

I really wouldn't put two Bettas together. You took a huge chance that they wouldn't fight, and that would be horrible especially when it's known that they can't be together. Also, just because they were living together doesn't mean that they were happy with the arrangement. I would imagine that it was very stressful for them, and that may have contributed to their ick vulnerability, even though they were already exposed.

Anyway, it sounds like your filter is too strong, get one for a 3-5 gallon tank. Also, how big is your Betta tank? Bettas are pretty smart and would stay away from perceived danger, but if the tank is small and he can't keep himself away from the filter that may contribute to him getting stuck. That's a really terrible way to go. These little finned ones trust us with their lives. I can't imagine suffocating to death. Gives me chills...

Zambize

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Oh, Fishy, I am into my Bettas but that's all I have pictures of because they pose and my other fish won't be still.

Zambize

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

I had my betta in the 30 gallon tank. He would hang out at the top swimming back and forth, but then would drift lower to check things out in the middle and bottom of tank. He would always be next to the glass where the pipe was swimming back and forth and got his fins sucked in by the intake tube. Can they survive without a filter like a goldfish or should I get a small filter for a 3-5 gallon tank? I want to keep the betta in a tank by himself. I would like to get a male and female if they will get along and put that setup in the bathroom. Maybe that isn't such a good idea, I know the cat would get after them then. I know, I have the 10 gallon in the bedroom with some platies, guppies and mollies, how about betta in there? I can get rid of the other fish in there. I think the other betta actually thought my fancy tail guppies were another betta and kept swimming with them at the top showing their fins and blowing up back at the guppies. I am going to get one or two this week and put 1 in the 10 and take out the guppies and 1 in the 125 and watch him for a while to make sure he isn't upset or gets trapped on the intake tube.

gumbii

by gumbii

so did it die or what...???

way to stay on topic guys...

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

sorry, did what die?

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Fishy -

Personally, I would get a 5-ish gallon tank, no bigger than 10 gallons, for the Betta. You keep wanting to put him in a tank with mates, but I'm not sure why. He will likely be happiest in his own place. That will also allow you to get a small filter. A small filter on a 30 gallon probably wouldn't do much. A Betta may very well nip or fight with your Guppies because their fins make them look like another Betta -- and you don't want that for the Betta or the Guppies.

Also, don't put a female Betta with the male. When they are not mating they are not compatible and are inclined to fight to the death. And sometimes the female wins the battle.

There are good 5 gallon tanks and I have a 6.6 bookcase tank that is very nice. It is short it height and long, like a bookcase shelf. This is a great tank (I'll give you a link if you want) because Bettas prefer shallow water with a long distance to swim back and forth to stretch their big fins. Remember, they come from rice paddies....shallow and long.

Repeat after me --- "Male Bettas like to live alone, Male Bettas like to live alone..." :) Do the right thing for the fish.

Zambize

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

My girlfriend has owned the same two bettas for over a year now in 1gal fishbowls at opposite sides of our entertainment center. They have no filtration (obviously) but are given a complete water change at a bare minimum of once a week. Ping and Pong are still both very healthy and strong. Ping will even leap about 3" out of the bowl to grab my finger, and totally ignore the food I just gave him. Nasty little guy. Shortly after my dive into real aquariums we tried keeping an albino or white or w/e (it was a very nice looking fish) betta in my 16gal community tank. It survived all of 4 days.
It seems that bettas are just all too cool with the whole living in a puddle idea, but I think the two we currently own would probably be happier as Zambize says in a 5 gallon setup.

The little marineland hexagon tank I currently have my dwarf puffer in may become Ping's home once I move Blimpie out. The filtration is so freaking weak it may be perfect for a betta.

Something weird I found under a rock, need help identifying

55 posts • Page 4 of 6