Something weird I found under a rock, need help identifying

55 posts • Page 2 of 6

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

gumbii

by gumbii

there's some stuff called had-a-snail that is a great way to get rid of snails... just a couple of drops and they start crawlin out of the tank themselves...

you could also get some fish that eat snail eggs and baby snails... i think the synodontis eupturus does that... but i'm not sure... or some loaches as well...

Vladdy6018

by Vladdy6018

It's probably from a snail. You know how snails have a trap-door thing that they hide inside when get stressed. Whenever they come out, it opens. If it looks like a shell but is flat with only one halve, and is almost paper thin, then it is from a snail. It could be that one of your snails died or grew.

Serial324556

by Serial324556

I would also say it's a freshwater clam. If it's still alive they are great for natural filtration. I was thinking of getting a few myself for my tank for extra filtration but I don't have much room left.

I don't know exactly but I think they filter about 5 gallons an hour. Don't quote me on this though I may be wrong but if you get a bunch of them they work good so I've heard.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

It looks like half of a clam shell. I have 2 mystery snails that had babies and they have a brown trap door thing, but it is brown and thicker than this and has no swirls or different colors blended in it.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

i am in no way trying to be a pest or change the topic here, but I can't be the first person to tell you that your 30 gallon is waaaaaaaaay overstocked. How do you keep the fish from dying, im genuinely curious?

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Wow, that is a whole lotta fish. I'm curious too...how do you keep them from stressing? Hopefully you just have a mirror for a background!

I've got a 37 gallon and I'll be at my limit around 16 fish (fairly "clean" fish) that will total around 32 inches at maturity. I'm staying with 32 inches to ensure a nice environment for them and after gravel and decor added to my tank, I probably only have about 32 gallons of water in it.

Just to add...I don't live by the "inches" rule, but it works ok as a guide with my types of fish. Then I consider any fish that seem to be exceptions or especially dirty. From there I use a simple visual inventory, as most people can kinda tell when their tank is full. (Unlike when I go to PetsMart and I see their 20 gallon tanks with 50 fish each :(

Blah, blah, blah....lol

Zamize

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Read up, he/she mentions a ''new'' 125 gal. I'm guessing the setup we see in his/her profile picture is the 30 gal, and just temporary.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Ok.....why would you, (A) load up a 30 gal, with all that implies, with plans for a new larger tank rather than (B) waiting for the new tank to be ready and then acquire and introduce fish slowly to the bigger tank?

I'm quite new but A contradicts all I've been told and read, while B is supposedly the proper method. I'm so confused?

Zambize

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Hey spongebob, did you read my update on profile? It says size of aquarium, and I put 30 gallon, but just got a 125 gallon and will post update pic of it after it gets finished cycling. The tank started out with about 40 fish, but all those livebearers took over. I didn't have anywhere to put the babies so they grew up and now they have babies. I didn't want to flush any of them down the toilet so I left them alone to do their thing, and they did. I have to do water change and filter change about once a week, but there isn't much or any food to hit the bottom, someone is always there to eat it up so nothing decays. My plan is to herd up the platies except for about 5, and all of the mollies except for about 5 out of the 43 babies and trade the rest at the pet store on something different.

I put all the that I was keeping in the 125 gallon tank Friday and it really looked nice. The 3 silver dollars darted and raced across the tank, all the different tetras immediately joined their school and had class until I felt sorry for all that were left in the 30 gallon so I herded up about 4 buckets full of the others and put them in the tank so I could clean out the 30, and now everyone swims together and there are no schools. They were all juveniles when I got them and introduced them at the same time in the small tank so I guess they aren't really sure what fish they are, they just swim and get along with everybody, no fights, chases, claiming territory, etc. Main thing that I have had to do is keep the water filter from getting plugged and constantly feed, go through a 6.35 ounce can per month of fish crispy flakes, and the 2 big pinches I put in there, there are some that probably don't get that much to eat, but that doesn't stop the rest of the herd from being the first in line waiting for me to approach their tank with some food.

I'm going to update the pic with the 125 gallon tank hopefully next week after I have traded off the herd.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Even if they are upgrading to a larger tank... there is no way those fish all made it into a 30 gallon overnight... they had to be introduced over months into the 30 gallon or they would have died... which implies that the 30 gallon must have been setup for quite some time. So I don't really buy the "temporary" concept at this point... not to mention, just because they mention a 125 gallon doesn't mean I should assume the fish in the 30 gallon will be the new inhabitants... they might have plans for new fish for that one, since it doesnt mention anything in the profile. Zambize has a good point, you don't move a shark into a fishbowl, while you are setting up your reef.

Tmercier, I am not trying to discredit you, I just don't want people thinking I didn't read up before commenting on someone's tank.

Something weird I found under a rock, need help identifying

55 posts • Page 2 of 6