Something weird I found under a rock, need help identifying

55 posts • Page 3 of 6

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

When I got the 30 gallon, I didn't plan on the livebearers taking over, but they did. I didn't plan on getting the 125 gallon until about 6 months ago after I realized that I was overstocked, so I had to save up and find a good deal on the 125 gallon, but in the meantime, that is how the tank got that full so quick, with the females having babies every month. I did introduce the fish slowly to the 125 gallon tank, I only put in my silver dollars first and a few minutes later the tetras and the 2 plecomostomus and the gold nugget. Everyone was schooling until later on that night, when I felt sorry for the rest of the fish and put them all in there, now I want all or anything resembling a platy or mollie to get out, but a few of each.

I'm almost done cleaning out the 30 gallon, so the mollies, guppies, and platies can all go to the 30 gallon again until next weekend so they can be traded.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Sounds good, I guess it all just wasn't clear in the profile, from the pic it just looked very crowded and it didn't seem from the description that those were the fish you were moving. My post was more of an "for your information"... there are many people who see overcrowding like that at Petco and assume this is ok for the fish... but clearly you know what you're doing. Look forward to seeing the new tank, it must look great. oh and my last post was written while you posted yours, so i didnt read it before I made that reply... i guess you posted a few minutes before mine, while i was still writing :)

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

geez im reading the posts in order and my post wasnt meant to be sandwiched between yours... i was replying to tmercier's post... and it makes me sound like an ass to you... don't take it the wrong way, that post was in reply to tmercier, before you cleared things up. Sorry again

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Oh I wasn't. I just didn't want you to think I personally introduced that many fish into that small tank. It all started with 2 male, yellow and an orange platy, and 1 female orange platy and a male and 2 female dalmation, and 2 male and 2 female guppies and BAM! Every month, some1 shooting something out, and like a dummy, I had to rescue the babies before they got eaten up because it just seemed mean to leave them to fend off the others.

The 30 gallon, that is almost clean now, is going to be like a holding tank to hold those livebearers until next weekend when I can take them back to trade for something. Hoping to get something like a couple of oscars or cichlids or something different that doesn't get along with the community in the 125 gallon.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Fishy -

Those livebearers are still going to multiply like rabbits in your 125 and the 30 so you will soon have 2 overcrowded tanks instead of the one unless you develop a solid plan/procedure for handling the fry as they appear. I'm assuming that you can't keep getting larger tanks to accommodate the offspring. My personal solution is that I don't put any combination of fish+environment in my tank that will produce offspring.

Zambize

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Thanks Vladdy, I researched the operculum/trap door of the apple/mystery snail, and it did fall off of a snail and somehow got buried under a rock. It said the operculum was a shell that grew in a circular motion for the lifespan of the snail so it can go inside and hide. That would explain not having the other half of the shell because it was only one piece. I found the other part of the snail after I stripped the tank down. His inside was gone, just his shell was left. The snails grow so fast, I thought one was him, but that was one of the babies that had gotten bigger.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Beautiful-cat-you-have-there....I'm-partial-to-black-cats,-though-your's-is-grey...Still-beautiful.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Thank you very much, he is a blue russian, just a little darker than most, but still has a silver tint with his dark smokey gray color.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

If-you're-gona-have-a-heavely-stocked-tank-I-suggest-having-an-undergravel-filter-with-at-least-3-inches-of-medium-sized-gravel-and-1-2-powerheads-as-well-as-the-biggest-primary-filter-possible.....I-know-you're-getting-a-or-have-a-bigger-tank,-and-did-say-you're-gona-sell-some-fish....It's-just-a-suggestion....A-well-maintained-UGF-with-a-good-amount-of-gravel-is-an-excelent-base-for-biological-and-particulate-filtration....I-never-have-any-problems-with-water-quality-and-with-some-of-my-tanks-I-don't-do-very-frequent-water-changes,-but-I-also-have-plants,which-use-up-the-nitrates....I-had-a-gorgous-male-black-cat-and-it-moved-out-to-a-neighbors-house-due-to-my-ex-girlfriends-constantly-screaming-and-fighting-kids.....A-big-loss.-His-name-was-Motor.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Nice 125 gallon. One day I may get one. My biggest is a 37 gallon at the moment. I also had a 27 gallon but one of my dogs broke it....a million pieces on the floor. I was heart broken...it's like seeing your favorite car wrecked. I didn't see any picture of a cat....I have six of my own. They aren't interested in the fish, but couldn't get to them if they were. But then again, I didn't think a 10 pound dog could pull a 27 gallon glass tank to the floor...

Zambize

Something weird I found under a rock, need help identifying

55 posts • Page 3 of 6