Bown Alge

53 posts • Page 1 of 6

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

nighthawk2207

Bown Alge

by nighthawk2207

I see i'm starting to get brown alge well thats what it looks like i thot it was suppode to be green? i have done some reading how do i know if i'm getting the proper lighting for green alge to grow or i do i know my silicates are to high the ph is dead on 7 an temp is 75 amonia an nitrites an nitrates are good so whats next....I have only noticed this brown alge for about 2 days an i would say that when it first appeared kuz i look at my tank everyday

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Just ask us. :P What kinda lights do you have? how many hours a day? silicates.....i know you have a freshwater tank......but they should still be 0. Thats a BIG culprate of algae. Im going to go out on a limb and say you use city water with a bottle of dechlorinator. If possible try to use Reverse Osmosis water...your tank will be a LOT more healthy.

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

yeah i used tap water with cycle, an i'm not sure what type of light it is it says 32 watt HG an gives off a purplish tint an its usually on from 9 in the morining to about midnight or 1

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

WWWWAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY to much light - - -2-3 hours in the morning 2-3 hours at evening viewing times...........the purplish hue light sounds like a grow light in which case it is doing exaclty what its supossed to be doing ..........lol not what you want it to be doing

i would suggest a 6500K bulb or higher {whiter light} for one, cut your lighting time way back, definatley use RO water {i get mine from walmart in a culigan dispense for 33 cents a gallon} treating tap water with cycle isn't treating the contaminents or chlorine in thewater, it ust adds bactiera for the fish in the tank {i don't like it because its a fake fix for a natural process} also, make sure the tank isn't sitting in direct sunlight too

not bad for a salt guy eh? ..........lol good luck man

Boss

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

ph is dead on 7..raise it to 8.2, wait do you have a saltwater tank ?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Tap water is your main problem......as far as lighting.....you should probably change that too. Your in the LOW spectrum....i mean probably close to red....which is grow lights like boss said. VERY bad for algae problems. Your going to have an algae farm soon. higher kelvin bulb and some RO water.......your tank will have FAR less problems. :)

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

okay i will try do a 50% water change an use ro water until it eventually is gone, the people at the fish store said to wait a month before getting a alge eater but the tank is starting to stink so what do i do??? i just did a 25% water change an its stinking again in 5 days i'm lost

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

i have a 90 gallon with a aquaclear 110 w/ 3 oscars an a jack dempsey, i'm going to buy another aquaclear 110 this week is the reason its stinking not enough filtrtation???

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

An its a freshwater tank saltwaterpimp

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Brown algae is common in freshwater tanks. I have some all the time. Some people swear by algae eaters, but I have 2 and still get the brown crud all the time.

They are right way too much light! I give mine a max of 8 hours a day, and its a planted tank. 15-16 hours is way too long to keep the lights on. If I turn mine on at 9am I make sure to turn it off by 6-7 pm.

More filtration may help. I added a filter in my tank that is made for a tank twice the size I have and it cleared up some problems I was having.

Bown Alge

53 posts • Page 1 of 6