Bown Alge

53 posts • Page 5 of 6

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

what is a good sump thats not to pricey i seen a rio 1700 on ebay for 50 bucks shipped thats not to bad but don't know what brand of sump to buy

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

i was just wondering if the first pump can pull water from the tank above can you use the intake pump instead of a overflow box kinda like a canister filter only has 2 hoses in an out

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

to many variables...........a canister is a sealed unit {water in, water out} no where else for it to go - - - -if your pumping water to the sump and then pumping water back to the tank, you run the risk of one pump pumping more than the other one or the return pump fails and you pump your tank into the sump then onto the floor or the tank pump fails and you pump the whole sump into the tank {i don't think it'll all fit there either} and waaallaaaa another flood - - -thats why canisters don't hold 20-30 gallons of water like a sump

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

You can go with any kind of pump you would like.......BUT a rio in my opinion will pull very well. :) It would do for your application. Your talking around 250-300gph pulling 17 watts. Thats not a bad ratio. Im running a Mag drive now.......BUT its pulling 53 watts and pushing 350-400 gph. Freshwater your not that concerned with high flow........ the slower the flow the easier it is for those plants. I divert my flow in my refuge to try to slow it down so the mangroves can get everything. Doesnt always work. Keep up your research and you will get it down. :)

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

okay thanks alot i hope i can find an overflow box that will fit in my small area that will pull enough water to feed my sump. the rio is the sump or the return? or can you use it for both?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

The rio is just the return pump....its (actually) a power head designed for pushing water around. But works GREAT as a return as it only pulls 17 watts. you could always check craigs list for a wet dry syster....they convert nicely into a refuge. They already have baffles and everything. Just plug in some sand some plants....and bam. Beautiful part is you could really make an interesting filter this way. Put some moss in there and a spray bar on top. Sorry if im confusing you.......i like tinkering with stuff to try new things. :)

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

defintly confused me lol. so whats a good sump pump to look at any brand thats got a good name?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I would say rio...magdrive.....eheim makes some good ones...For a freshwater....you honestly dont want a LOT of flow...saltwater is ideal for a ton of flow....But you would be better off with just a rio 1700 or so. 300 gph would be plenty. I like the rio because it pulls so little energy...I would either go with a kit or a prebuilt sump.......i spent a ton of money doing it three times.......do it right the first time. :)

crucisis

by crucisis

i had a similar problem with my oscar tank. I had almost given up hopes of getting the water balance right. But it works out well.. You need to enhance the water changes and try rubbing the glass with a few teaspoonful of rock salt every other day for a week. This may help. Check the results. But make sure that you don't scratch your glass.

gumbii

by gumbii

rock salt has alot of contaminants...

don't do what he just said...

Bown Alge

53 posts • Page 5 of 6