Bown Alge

53 posts • Page 3 of 6

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

That my friend is the best filter on the earth....no chemicals no money after the initial costs and it has nearly NO maintence. Sounds solid to me.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

If you think about it.......how are streams and rivers cleaned...we sure as hell dont help. Plants and algae clean rivers. You could even incorporate mangroves........they grow in ANY water. There are certain plants that you can buy to put in a refuge.........that will draw HUGE amounts of nitrates and wastes out of the water. as well as phosphates. Thats what plants live on.....so the more plants you put in a refuge.........the more wastes your system could handle.....I have seen people run hydroponics in there back yards.....hook up there fish tanks to the water in the hydroponics....and then all you have to do is aerate the water in the hydropoincs tanks........and circulate it back to the aquarium.....insane set ups. The fish feed the plants.....and the plants keep the fish tank from getting ANY algae. awesomeness!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

theres a couple right here in my town that does that..................they have 2 20x60 foot green houses with a 2 car garage at the end of them with probably 10 large poly tanks with tilapia in them................they float the plants from one end to the other on styrofoam trays and when they get to the ens they are harvested and the tray comes beck to the front and is replanted................they also cycle the tilapia in nd when they are mature sell them to local resturants ----friggin crazy awsome set up

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

damn.......filter the water.....grow some plants......sell them for money...that sounds sick.

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

so a 30 gallon tank with a pump to pull water from the tank above, then plant some sand an plants, then another pump to push it back to the top is that all you need kuz i might be able to do that. doesn't sound to difficult right now but then again i don't know what i need right now thats just a guess.

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

how much to get a 30 gallon sump running anyways don't want to spend to to much......cheap ass..... lol might be ables to come across a 40 gallon long but don't know just yet tell me what i need an i'll buy an you can set it up for me lol

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

okay so ive been doing some searching for a diy on a 30 gallon sump found some but with no pics its for a tank housing 3 oscars an a jack dempsey, what would you recomend i use?? anybody??

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Well......my lfs uses a 20 gallon long on a 125 gallon reef tank full of sps corals. So 30 gallon will suffice for sure! To get your water from your main tank to your sump....you will need to use an overflow....not a pump. An overflow is a siphon based system that if set up properly.....will not fail. This is coming from someone who has flooded his house several times. You CAN bullet proof them...most people dont. When the pic posting gets back up on here....I will post pics. A simple U tube overflow will work perfecty....make sure nothing can get in your overflow such as snails. (they block that U tube very nicely) You will then house your return pump and heater in your sump. Keeps your actual show tank nice and clean looking. In your sump/refuge you could house your plants to clean your water. Java works well for freshwater tanks like chaeto works well for saltwater. Mangroves will work in your tank no matter what the parameters are. They grow in fresh, brakish, salt, poopy, and clean. They do tend to pull in nutrients slower than algaes or java though. Check out my profile....there are some pics of my sump in there. It has changed since then.....I moved from the sponge filter to a filter sock....Which will work wonders for your tank. Check all this out and research research research. total start up for a fuge.....after plants sand lighting tank pump filter sock overflow. Probably close to 300. plus or minus

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

wow thats alittle bit more than i have at the time i could possilby do it over time so i guess thats what i will have to do. you said you top tank is 29 gallons? so how big is the sump tank? what you have explained to me sounds pretty complicated an as soon as i get my bearings on how exactly the set-up is done i will start constructing it, it sounds pretty cool though ,can you trim back the plants so they don't get overgrown? an mangroves are the plants correct? i already have the tank an sand i can just use what i used to have in my tank but how does the overflow work just one pump that over flows the water in the upper tank to spill into a contrusted tube to go down to the bottom tank i'm a little cornfused....

fihsboy

by fihsboy

yeah.... basically......hmm....haha. Im trying to think how I should explain the overflow. I put a link at the bottom that will explain in HIGH detail how it works. But basically....water goes into a box in your aquarium.....the box has a U-tube in it...goes from the box in your aquarium to the box outside the aquarium.....when the pump is on the water will move readily through the tube from your aquarium to your overflow box to the U-tube to the outside overflow box....then its transported to a hose that takes it to your sump where the water can be filtered massivly and efficently. You could get a rio 1700 for cheap.....as a return pump. and that would push the water back up to the tank and start the process over again....Here I suck at this....these guys explain it better.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/overflow.htm

Bown Alge

53 posts • Page 3 of 6