Bown Alge

53 posts • Page 4 of 6

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

man i got some work ahead of me if i'm guna do this it sounds complicated. i'll just have to take my time an work solwly to make sure my sump is overflow proof if power loss occurs. thanks for the link i saved it to my favorites

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Its not too bad. Just get your sump. if you wanted to you could get the plans off the internet, im sure. Or you could just buy a set up off of ebay. They have sets made for 20 gallon tanks that you just silicon in the dividers where you want them to work and it should be overflow proof. I winged mine.....took me three tries. BUT if you put a check valve in your return line.....you wont have to worry about your sump overflowing. And you could add a pump to the U-tube at the top to make sure the siphon never loses prime. Or you could buy a overflow from www.marinedepot.com....and buy a tom aquatics luft pump and it will keep the siphon in the overflow. (that overflow is expensive....but its supposedly the best you can buy. it has a very low profile) pictures still arent posting on here....sorry!

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

okay i will check it out. it might be better for someone like me to just buy a set-up that works well then try to make something that doesn't work at all, lol. but i did about a 60% water change today my fish recovered for the ich an is as healthy as a horse an wanting to eat like one again so thats good. treated the water for chlorine an chlormites or whatever an other things like heavy metals etc. thanks for all your help i'm sure i will have more questions soon enough but i hope everything kinda stays smooth sailing from here on out

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

now i think i found something alittle like your sump but there calling it a wet/dry system by CPR i was looking at one for tanks up to 125 gallons it come with everything you need overflow box an everything elseis this the same thing it also comes with a protein skimmer whatever that that does an is rated at 600 gph its called th cpr sys 900 if this isn't the same thing where are the sump packages located kuz this is all i could find an looks nice but don't know if there is a spot to plant some plants an such

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

i ofund something made my berlin sump it called the, BS-2: for filtration up to 250 gallons. This sump includes two 3` x 1-1/4" tubing, two 100 micron filter sock and 1.5" bulkhead. i guess i would still have to buy a sump pump? an overflow box an protein skimmer or would i even need that??

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Yeah. The berlin method is basically what a refugium is. That would work well. You would still need the sump pump. You have no need for a protein skimmer in freshwater....it wouldnt work. Saltwater foams a lot easier than fresh. Thats rather expensive though. Its in essence a 20 gallon tank with dividers. If you buy a 20 long....30-40 bucks and the kit at the bottom of this post....It would cost you about 90 max for the refuge by itself. Then you could get a rio 1700 for a return line....and bam your cooking. You would still need an overflow though.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

heres another link on sumps as well as other stuff............its all salt water but a sump is a sump

another good word picture would be look at it like syphoning gas out of a car suck on the end of the line and keep it below the tank level and it'll keep running, then you just use a pump to put it back into the tank - - - check out "how a sump works" on the left side of this link - - -good picture

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Boss

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

so where is the best place to find a sump pump an a rio 1700 i will buy this kit for sure thanks i will post some pics when i start getting it set-up

nighthawk2207

by nighthawk2207

the one problem i'm having is right now with my 2 aquaclear 110's i might not have enough room to hang the overflow box on the back of the tank i might have to make a custom overflow box that will fit..... but i will worry about that later.

Bown Alge

53 posts • Page 4 of 6