getting started and need help!!!

27 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

maritzio

by maritzio

just getting started and need some professional help with this tank. i am doing it little by little. i just bought a 120 gallon atnk and want to make it a reef and fish tank. first thing i need is the filter what type of filter would you use for this. please i ask for help and just about every other day i will have another question to ask i see alot ofd nice tanks so i`m sure i can rely on you for ggod advice

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

not knowing your finacial abilty.....i would strongly suggest haveing the tank drilled and go with a very simple, but absolutely bullet proof sump system for filtration - - -new tanks are exciting......your in for a roller coaster ride bud....WELCOME !!!!! it's the most rewarding hobby I've ever had {and I've spent A LOT of money in other hobbies, lol}

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

get a good protien shimmer and alot of live rock for your main filtration oh yea plus sand. if you have money you could get your tank drilled and have a sump setup.imo its the best way.if its in the budget.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

lmao we posted at the same time. same advice...

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

great minds man great minds.....lol

maritzio

by maritzio

wet/dry with live rock for filtration instead of bio/balls? what size hole do you drill the tank? hole on each side?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

2 on the back and i think they are 1 1/2 .

snowboss

by snowboss

2 holes ...skimer box in the tank.........2 pipes down to the sump [mainly in case one plugs, could happen] big filter sock over the ends of the pipes inthe sump with mechanical media, carbon, chemi-pure, etc in it then you can put the protien skimmer, the heater, live rock if you like and return pump in the sump as well and a return line back to the tank...........

now in the event of a power outage the tank will only drain to the skimmer box level into the sump...[no spill] and when the power comes back on the system just starts back up......no syphon break {which would cause a flood in the tank when the return pump over fills it.............like i said....very simple and almost bullet proof

Snowboss

maritzio

by maritzio

being that there is no holes i need to get drilled.1. whats size are the holes. 2. there is no bulkhead so i am going to put one in correct? if so do they sell them or you have to make one. is the bulkhead split in 2 one for each hole. also explain the 2 holes. sorry very new at this i wish there was a diagram for it.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzpOtssB9mA

theres a link on how to drill the holes, if you want to attemptit yourself {i don't think i would try for myself though,lol at 20-30 bucks a hole for someone else to do it.

before you start, you will need your skimmer box, which will dictate the size of the holes that will fit in there....the bulkheads...then find someone who will drill it for ya...and i would put it all together in the shop where its drilled , in case something doesn't fit ......so you won't have to move the tank 50 times....lol

i would say safly everything could run 100-150 bucks....but then its all done and done correctly, you know?

let us know how you handle it ....Boss

27 posts • Page 1 of 3