getting started and need help!!!

27 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

schigara

by schigara

Drilling glass is very easy. It just takes time and just hold the drill steady and let the weight of the drill do the work. Be sure to use a drill that has a torque handle because as it finally goes all the way through the drill will tend twist a cock to one side. This is when most people crack glass.

Thicker glass is safer to drill than thin and being a 120g it should have 3/8-1/2 in glass.

maritzio

by maritzio

well there is a place in brooklyn(1000 islands) they make the tanks custom to your specifications. for a 120 48x24x24 with bulkhead onstalled came out to $575.oo. dont know if that is reasonable but she said that they use thick glass and it takes about 3 weeks

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

oh..... i thought you already had a tank purchased............575 for a drilled tank is decent, not cheap, but not priced to crazy either..........if you can drill it yourself and don't mind doing the foot work for the parts and pieces i still think you can beat that price for sure......but remember like schigara says......it only takes one little "cock" at the end of the hole and you just ruined a 120 gallon tank...............its a gamble i would probably take ....cause im a friggin redneck who will try anything once....lol Boss

maritzio

by maritzio

i decided to get the custom made one. 120 gallon. what type of filter do i get. is there anything else needed ex: protein skimmer,uv sterilizer,ect

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

get the biggest tank you can fit under the display and build your filter in the sump.....i stated this above ...........a good skimmer is paramount and everyone has different opinions on them ....I am looking at... this onhttp://www.fishtanksdirect.com/index. ... rodID=551e for my next tank
UV sterilizers are ok on a well established tank...but can be damaging in a new tank.

you'll need a couple good return pumps to pump water back to the display tank, PVC pipe and fittings, hoses, GFI protected power strips, couple timers, good lights

I strongly suggest going to walmart, find the culligan dispenser and buy their water - - it's RO, and UV filtered for 33 cents a gallon ..........this will help tremedously with unwanted algaes down the road {NOTE: you will still get algae, lol just not as bad}

set up a system for prepareing and handleing premixed salt water for weekly water changes {10%} - i use a plastic container with a power head, heater and thermometer in it

it goes on and on man ....so just keep good notes and keep asking questions we will all give advise freely....Good Luck,

Snowboss

maritzio

by maritzio

you have to break it down for me alittle better. alot of what your saying doesnt make sense to me. i need a detailed breakdown. remember i am just getting started. its all new to me.

maritzio

by maritzio

example. what is the pump rate flow i need for a 120 gallon reef tank

maritzio

by maritzio

do all protein skimmers come with pumps. which one is a good one to get?

amadeo

by amadeo

i hope with this message i am not spamming . but as i am reentering the hobby i am very excited . please bare with me. to the subject at hand . i just purchased my aquael tank and i do not want to drill any holes in it. it was expensive and i dont want to ruin it.

that said cant i buy a decent ( that being expensive )aquael external mechanical filter with a uv light inside that would do the same job as the sump . i mean will i be missing out on much . + i already have a aquac protien skimmer )

with the 60 kg of live rock . and i plan later to get a chiller as our country is hot actually boiling hot .and the chiller is expensive its about the same price as the tank 800 $ but it is a necessity here.

with all that do i need a sump ?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

sumps are not a necesity at all....but more so a choice and a style of filtration that works well especially in a reef environment...........other than choice ...one of the biggest benifiets of a sump is you simply don't see any of the stuff.....it's all hidden undernieth in the cabinet..........

there are very good canister filters that are hidden as well....there are very good HOB {hang on back } style filters as well - -

with good water movement your live rock will be great biological filtration - - in which case a couple good HOB filters will be great for mechanical filtration...........does you skimmer hang on the tank? if so thats fine too....

personally I think you need more live rock in there unless your doing a FOWLR tank {fish only with live rock} as oposed to a reef {in a reef you'll want 1-2 pounds of rock per gallon} as the filtration requirements in a reef system are much more critacal.........

As far as UV sterilzers go....I don't have one and have read that they can do more damage than good on a new tank.....but when the tank is mature and the light is sized correctly they are incredable....I would push for the chiller if you need one ....before spending the cash on a uv light....just my opinion......

Welcome back to the hobby my friend!!!!!!, Snowboss

PS....i just reread your post and i wanted to add......"expensive" doesn't mean good in any way shape or form ....there a really costly pieces of crap out there and pretty cheap bullet proof systems as well . . . . I am NOT saying your aquael filter will be crap at all im just stateing the fact that lots of money doesn't always mean good stuff...you know? - - shop around there are good deals and good equipment out there .....and if your happy with your present brand and it does what you want it too....well then its a good deal ...lol

getting started and need help!!!

27 posts • Page 2 of 3