getting started and need help!!!

27 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Maritzio,

sorry for throwing so much info at you all at once..........

ok ...what have you decided to do? did you buy a tank with ports drilled already ...or are you going to drill it...or are you going in another direction all together......

I'll keep the questions and responses to a minimum per post so we all stay on the same page.....Boss

amadeo

by amadeo

boss thnks for the time and advise appreciate it. your right on the expensive part . expensive doesnt always mean better . but i lv to research and i lv the brand aquael they are poland brand name and i trust them the down side is in kuwait their products are expensive . another brand name i lv and previously owned on my grave tank RIP was the aquac remora skimmer. like i said some time brand names are guaranteed and last plus quality and have spare parts... like fluval for example.

so as for sump vs filter .it wont be novice of me just to plug in a mechanical filter.filter it is . and yes i have the skimmer hanging in the back and the filter tucked in the cabinet . i am a neat person :)

finaly no it wont be a fowlr tank it will hopefully be home to corals and reefs and fish and shrimps and snails and i have to have a lion fish as well there has to be a king there to keep things in natures way .keep the fish in line. hopefully not eat anything ..i read there bad for the corals but in a shop i go to it swims peacfully so will say ...any way looooong way to go before that ever happens but its nice to dream ...thanks boss

snowboss

by snowboss

aqua remora is a very trusted name here in the states as well....so you can't go wrong there....

no hanging a filter on the tank is not a novice move at all.....just a choice

Look on the Drs. Foster and Smith web site ...they have a filter system made by Rapids....all in one sump, with overflow box {that is pump controlled so you can't have an overflow during a power outage} skimmer is integrated and you can even buy the upgrade and have an automatic top off with it.....the full blown system runs about 300 US dollars.......you might want to run 2 sytems and one top off on your tank....so your looking at ,like 500-600 for a complete tight and clean filter system that will handle 600-700 gallons of water....I'm looking at them hard for a 480 gallon project tank I'm in the planing stages of right now........I love plug-n-play equipment. Snowboss

Patsquach

by Patsquach

Wow alot of money just to get a sump under the tank. A small company out of California Call TRU-VUE Makes Over flow boxes that are fail proof, work on glass or acrillic and does not need to be primed when the power goes out. check them out . a lot less hassel and money. They also make awsome refugium sump filters. Its what I use in my systems. Over flow boxes are a dream for saltwater tanks think about it before you go crazy.

The Seaman

Patsquach

by Patsquach

Refugium sumps are must on any reef and or fish tank. It just makes it easier and more ecologically sound. I would do nothing less on any of my systems.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i agree that sumps are the way to go......but not the only way...............I'm not familure with refugiums....I've heard and read that they need to be about the same size as the display to be of much benifeit....but I could be wrong {LOL....that was the understatement of the century}..........Boss

I would almost like to see a refugium as a secondary display as they can be quiet attractive if set up properly .........

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Patsquach, I googled tru-vue and can't find anything linked to a product....if you have a link or addy I'd love to look at them ....if theres a better cheaper way to go about a safe overflow ....I want to find out about it....thanks.....Boss

getting started and need help!!!

27 posts • Page 3 of 3