Smelly tank

62 posts • Page 4 of 7

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Alasse

by Alasse

I good size school of just tiger barbs would look awesome...

I had a large school which was a mix of normal tigers, breen tigers and albino tigers, looked great

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

SO you can mix those barbs together. Yasher you mentioned 2 schools of fish. What other school would you suggest?

Alasse

by Alasse

Yep they can be mixed :)

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

Ok. Traded out the fish today. I picked up Kuhli Loach, (6) Tiger barbs, Red Tail shark. All really young and small. Tiger babrbs are tiny. Shark is a good size. Probably get some more fish in a few weeks when i come through with the 30 gal. Way more comunity. Kinda excited to watch eventhing grow.

I also picked up two Anuba plants. first shot at plants. Guy said they wont need and plant food. Said they will be good with what the fish make. Comments?

Ill have pictures up soon.

Alasse

by Alasse

Looking forward to pics!

Anubias should be fine with just fish waste. Many of mine dont get anything special (fertz) and are growing well. Dont plants the anubias though, tie them to wood or rocks, eventually they will grap hold of what you put them on.

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

So i came in the room to see my Bichir with the Loachs head in his mouth. Both struggle like crazy for about 3 min. Bichir went into his tube where i couldn't see and eventually the Loach came out. Had some light bleeding around the head area. Breathing heavily. But alive. Bichir is very interested in the loach now but hasn't put it in his mouth again. Hope the loach survives. I thought the loach was in for it.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Bichir is semi-aggressive that will swallow any fish or invertebrate that they can fit into their mouth. Did not know you had a bichir in with your loach. Did not picture this. And by the way, a bichir can grow up to a minimum of one foot and others up to 2 and a half feet long. And to top it all off, the khuli loach is a peaceful fish. Not a very good mix. The bichir itself needs to be alone in his own tank - minimum 50 gallons up to 90-120 gallon tank).

I recommended dwarf chain loaches which are semi-aggressive fish; the khuli loach is peaceful - maybe you can take the khuli back and trade the fish for 6 dwarf chain loaches (I realize the dwarf chain loaches are a little expensive, so you can start with a school of 4, but you must ask yourself, would you rather have a dead khuli loach or 4 healthy live dwarf chain loaches...and even with the dwarf chain loaches, the bichir may attempt to fit this fish in its mouth).

Redtail shark and the tiger barbs, because they are small, if you leave the bichir in the tank, you may wind up with the same problem. And one other thing, I can only hope you do not have a cuvier bichir, even though it grows to adult size of one foot it needs a minmum of 90 gallon tank...if I were you, because you cannot house a larger tank where you live, take the bichir back and get other semi aggressive fish like american flagfish or red minor serpae tetra (a very nice semi-aggressive fish).

You really need to take that bichir out of the tank. Please do this as soon as possible, trade it or give it away to the store for free. I realize you are just learning this, and I really just blame the salesperson because an expensive fish like a bichir needs a minimum of 50 gallons, optimally, 120 gallon tank for just 2 of these guys to live their lives to the best of their abilities.

On the other hand, - until I saw this about the bichir - I wanted to tell you guys that after all the talk about the redtail shark, I took Alasse advice (I took Alasse's advice - oh no, no way! lol) and bought one redtail shark. It's a female (underside is gray), it's already found its territory, 2 caves away from the dwarf chain loaches. And with much monitoring for the next several months, so far it's going fine. If there is any slip up, I will plop her into a tank of her own.

anyway, mzhantsche mzhantsche mzhantsche, please say bye bye to that bichir. Thanks

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

so to answer your question, get a school of 6 of the red minor serpae tetra, each run about $2.50 a piece...and after you give the khuli back, if you can afford it, get 4 to 6 dwarf chain loaches

by the way, anubias plants are awesome. I have several different types. Very slow, but if given the right lighting conditions (mdedium light), in time, they will send runners under the gravel and you'll see petals sprouting up everywhere...I have some attached to the wood, but I do have 3 anubias about 2 inches buried in the gravel, and these 3 babies have grown very nice. I never use fertilizer, like alasse said, fish poop will serve just fine. But they will grow very slow, but in about 2 years, you will have a plush amount of plant growth. Slow but awesome plants.

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

Ok hears my ignorance....i love Bichir fish. I have two at the moment. The one who had the conflict with the loach is your standard dinosaur Bichir (Pictured at my profile pic). I have other in a different tank and he is so rad....he is spotted black and tan. I could see parting ways with the Dinosaur Bichir but definitely not the spotted one.

Hears a slight challenge question......wont fish grow to the size of their tank? I know the Bichirs will become huge but...dosent the size of the tank kind of shape how fast they will grow? I have my spotted one in with Guppies in a 10gal. The guppies even had babies and i made no special accomidations for the babies. 3 of them survived and are almost at full size. As for now i dont see the Bichirs as a big problem. Maybe i will be shooting myself in the foot later. hahahahaha

I wanted the dwarf chain loachs. I love the way they look. 3 bucks for a fish is no problem for me but..... the three fish stores i checked did not have dwarf chain loachs. Their are a few more stores to check in my city and if i cant find them their im gonna go down to Huntington Beach where they have a ton more stores. So the chain loachs are gonna happen once i find them.

found a rad rock and twisted the anubias all around it. the root have been laid. Looking forward to dealing with plants in the next few months. Any other suggestions for plants that are easy to keep. I dont mind buying fertilizer. I just don't want to deal with high intensity lights right now. So anything that would work with regular bulbs?

I know its taking a risk but im going to leave the Kuhli Loach in the tank. If their is one more fight (and it not his last) ill take him back.

Alasse

by Alasse

That fish will grow to the size of their tank is a myth! What you are doing is stunting their growth which shortens their lifespan quite significantly. People get all proud when they state their goldfish has lived for 5 yrs in the bowl they have it in...they shouldnt be proud, goldfish have a life expentency of 20 yrs or so. So the little bowl gave the poor fish 1/4 of its life expectancy. Its sad.

Birchirs get massive, you are going to need a massive tank, and very soon. Both of them need tank upgrades, i know you dont want to hear it, but keeping your birchirs in too small of a tank is cruel in the long term.

Keeping the kuhli loach and guppies in with them is definately not a good idea, they are at present a wolf in sheeps clothing, and as one has already shown, the wolf will show itself.

You are fooling youself, again i know you dont want to hear this, and honestly i dont like to say it. Those birchirs are totally unsuitable to be kept with what you had and what you have now added, either you need to move the birchirs out into larger tanks (and i mean adult size suitable tanks) or you will have just added to their eventual dinner menu and destined them to a shortened stunted life!

Smelly tank

62 posts • Page 4 of 7