Alright, ya’ll convinced me, cichlids is the way to go!!!!

33 posts • Page 3 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

That setup is almost the exact same as mine :-) Probably because all these fish are so common in stores. My Rainbow Shark definitely holds its own with the wild Mbuna!

I have never had my Yellow Labs and Red Zebra's hybridizing. The males are just too protective of their females for the other male to but in. The only time I had a hybrid spawn was my OB Zebra female (who I bought for my Red) spawned with my Ice Blue Metriaclima greshakei. It might have been because the Red Male is too intimidated by the big Blue and the Blue's females were both in a holding tank. I stripped the eggs a day later and let the fish have caviar. If it happens again she will go to the lfs for a trade.

With Acei, its very hard to tell males and females when young. You really can't tell until they hit about 4 inches. Thank goodness they all get along. I ended up with 3 females, one of whom I was positive was a male because she is very dominant and displays a lot. Discovered otherwise when I found her holding one day. All 3 females spawned with each other and hold infertile eggs. Just got one a few weeks ago and fingers crossed its a male. They also shoal, which is real cool to watch!

Red Zebra males start to develop a blue sheen to their fins and sometimes their bodies as they mature. Don't go by egg spots on any Mbuna, because females will get them too. My female Reds have just as many as the male. Look at my profile and see how a male will look. Females may have a tiny bit of blue in the anal fin, but not the others. Mostly their fins are bright orange. One of mine does, and I was unsure till they spawned. She's the mom of all my red fry.

With Yellow Labs, males tend to have more black in their fins. Females will have black in the underside fins, just not as strong and solid as males.

The best way to set up a new Mbuna tank is to get your groups as juveniles. They will grow up together and you are more likely to have them get along better.

Oh yeah, I have heard stories of Mbuna eating the eyes of common pleco. Many stories. But this seems not to be the case of the bristle nose kind. Wonder if its the bristles around the eyes? Hmm.

So, Jos, do Peacocks work in an ornery Mbuna tank? I have heard both sides and have been hesitant to get one. I hear its fine, then I read no because Mbuna are too active and will stress them out?? I really would love to get a big red one, but have hesitated.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Oh man, I don't know what I would do without my Python! Buckets are OK for my 10 and 20 fry tanks, but refilling a big 55 would be a total pain without one!

I have two power filters. They are Topfin 60's, made for 60 gallon tanks that move water at 300 gallons per hour. So, in all its 600 GPH and enough filtration for a 120. Mbuna are messy, not so much that they poop more than the average fish, but because they dig so much and send it all frying everywhere all the time! Make sure to keep your filter intake at least 8" off the floor if you use sand. A fish will dig, sending sand in the filter and jamming it. *sigh* Especially annoying when they swim over and actually drop a mouthful next to the intake! Next thing you know you hear this horrible grinding noise! Yes fish, you know who you are LOL. Not such a worry when they are small, but the bigger they get the higher the sand flies! My Ice Blue does huge mouthfuls, my Acei do whole body digs! All part of their entertainment value.

I make my own filter media. I buy a bag of the sponge stuff and just cut a new piece as needed. I also buy the loose carbon and fill a stocking up and drop it in the filter. Its way cheaper that way.

This is the sponge stuff I mean, it lasts forever! You just cut the size you need when you need a new one.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2752363

One more thing, you may need to get some cichlid buffer to up your pH levels and hardness, depending on how your tap water is. Mine is very soft so I add Malawi cichlid buffer to the tank with each change. Keeps the pH at a steady 8.4.

josmoloco

by josmoloco

peacocks, it depends, Mine have never had any problems, but they are in a six foot tank. Check out my new thread. I will be making an update.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

I use some kind of filter pad that is similar to this
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2754125
and I cut the size that I need to fit my filter holder. I also use the "rock in the bag" thingie with the filter pad. It's really overkill for my 30 gal but, it stays clean!!!!

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Here is a little video I compiled before. It shows all the fish you have chosen as adults, just hanging out. As you can tell, my Ice Blue male is very ornery!

http://s530.photobucket.com/albums/dd35 ... 02e19b.pbr

tchavera

by tchavera

Buy fish online.. you have soooo much more to choose from. Average is $30 for shipping and it's unlimited fish for that shipping fee. I know a lot of people freak out that the fish could be sick and stuff but they always give a 2week guarantee for the fish to stay alive or your money back. Just check it out, you will have so many more Cichlids to choose from.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

I really can't afford online buying. I'm gonna start of slow. w/my chiclid tank. I'm actually getting ready to set-up the 55 gallon this weekend (waiting on some house renavations) It's really exciting! I can't wait to start!!!!!

josmoloco

by josmoloco

Did you decide what species yet?

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Aceis, Zebras and Electric Yellows are about the only ones I can find that I like at the lfs. They also had (at the lfs) some jewel cichlids. would they get along with the ones mentioned above?

DameMagnifique9373

by DameMagnifique9373

once i had a jeweled cichlid, and he was so agressive that i had to keep him by himself because he killed everything!

Alright, ya’ll convinced me, cichlids is the way to go!!!!

33 posts • Page 3 of 4