Wow

31 posts • Page 1 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Tmercier834747

Wow

by Tmercier834747

I really have to admire you guys for keeping SW aquariums. I dip my head in here once and awhile to get the feel of it, and even the thought of getting a nano 10 gallon reef or smaller aquarium or something (With everything integrated) scares me.

I've spent a lot of time dabbling in freshwater but the price and all the stuff that goes into SW is kinda intimidating.

Maybe its just an other side of the fence deal but damn.

I was thinking possibly soon if the economy doesn't collapse of getting a nano setup with a few inverts and possibly a goby or something. Money would drastically limit me from getting anything crazier than 10 gallons. Would this be a good way to get a feel of saltwater or should I just scratch the idea. I'm looking at marinedepot.com and they want like $30 for 'small' sun corals, zoanthids and mushrooms which look like the only thing I'd really be able to house in anything less than 10gal..

nicholas542

by nicholas542

You could get a allglass 10 gallon for $20.00 or less. There's a skimmer made By Fission it's for up to 30 gallon for $40.00. Probably less than $60.00 for live rock. Sand is cheap, lightfixture less than $100.00. So you're probably looking at $150.00 - $200.00 dollars to set up a 10 gallon nano.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

You could even get a current skimmer made for there nano tank for around 20 bucks. I didnt like the fission skimmer....I used it and It didnt tickle my pickle. And I used it on a 2.5. I wouldnt recommend going that low by the way....2.5 is ridiculously small. If you can.....I would get a 20. That would give you a tad more room.....and none of your equipment is going to be that much different....not much of a price difference. It is intimidating....but once you get the saltwater bug....you have caught it.....These fish have there own personalities..and the corals are amazing to look at and watch grow. Your in for a treat when you get your new tank. Its certainly worth the money.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

There's an LFS I visit once in a very great while and they have a lot of nano tanks around their petshop. One looks like its between 5-10 gallons and has everything integrated. I'm not impressed at all with the only FW tank I have (marineland) that came with everything integrated, but the LFS owner has an awesome little reef in one of his nano tanks in particular. I keep meaning to ask the owner about it but I never get around to it.

It looks like its got a refugium, skimmer, filtration, heater and good lighting built in, this is sort of what I'm looking for with only the additional costs of sand, live rock, and livestock.

I can't find anything on the internet that even resembles the one that really caught my eye.

Maybe I'll go out there next week and see if I can find out what brand it is. I'm sure whatever it is he'll have to special order it. It doesn't look like any of the nanos I've found on drsfoster&smith or anywhere else google brought me..

What are your thoughts on livestock though? Are the corals I mentioned ok for a tank <10gals? marinedepot did clarify that the sun coral would need to be ''manually'' fed or something...
Their description of what would fit in 1-20gals was kind've a broad number.

Thanks for the replies. =D

fihsboy

by fihsboy

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~ ... QNCNT.html

You wont be able to build anything for less than that. Not with everything built in like it has. with a tank that small....your going to have to feed very very little. Your goby should be okay....but it will need a little supplemental feeding. check out www.nano-reef.com Theres everything in the world there that would help you out.

snowboss

by snowboss

when i started out i had a 20 gallon long tank {still do} its 12x12x30 - - i have a prizm HOB skimmer {might sell} and a big aquaclear 110 HOB filter {might sell} and thats what i stated with..................i got a stand from walmart {29 gallon tank has the same foot print as the 20 long} for 60 bucks, and then upgraded to a current PC light set up with moon light led, actinic and 10K whites, for like 150 bucks.............live sand and live rocks along the way and bam...........theres my tank

i have since upgraded the filter to a rapids pro wet dry and built a DIY hood for the light fixture

i think the long tank would be perfect to start with and has plenty of room for growth into corals and such..........after i get into my big tank the 20 long will become a nano coral tank ....Mr DickHeaders has given me "nano fever" - - - but seriously 200-300 bucks will get you a very stable set up, salt test kits and off you go

WARNING !!! with in 3-6 months you'll be ready to sell a kidney to feed this habit though

LOL

Boss

this is the hood i built
56e46-100_0769.JPG

snowboss

by snowboss

lol don't look in the tank - - -but this will give you an idea of what 250 bucks can get you

like i said ....theres a new stand, live sand and rock, no fake decor anymore and the wet dry under cabinet filtration ..............

this pic is from the first month ................its now a little over a year later and looks totally different ..............but this is the sart
138e5-009.JPG

snowboss

by snowboss

heres another old one but with the new stand.......

point being, you can see where i started and where i went .............you don't have to buy a 1500 dollar set up to get started

Boss
ae7c5-dump 9.12.08 038.JPG

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

I am glad to see you moved those wires from under the tank!! are they on the floor now? ...hehe

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

no.......... theres 3 power strips hanging on the sides inside the stand.............i don't like to be shocked ................lol

i cleaned the tank and filter tonight, scrubed some algae off a piece of live rock and put a small wood airstone in the back for a little O2 gen and it looks cool as hell

Wow

31 posts • Page 1 of 4