Wow

31 posts • Page 3 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

anyone with cured or uncured LR ever end up with a mantis shrimp in their tank? I'm sure this is uncommon but I couldn't help but ask..

also...what led to pieces of coral used as a new ''sprout'' or w/e being called ''frags'', and what is a coral ''plug''?

Lastly, nano-reef.com recommends nano tanks don't use a protein skimmer and rely more on weekly waterchanges and the LR and LS for filtration. Does anyone else think this is advisable for a 12gal?

Even though my dreams may not become a reality anytime soon I'd still like to learn as much as I can beforehand. =D

Until then i'll be living vicariously through Boss..

BrenLou7734

by BrenLou7734

Hey Tmercier. I had a mantis shrimp in my live rock, common i think, after all the googling I did on him. Do u suspect u have one?
Also, my tank is 12 gallon, so it would be good to find out if i should be getting a protein skimmer, Ive been looking into it as wel.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

very nice boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I would just rely on the water changes......your not going to have a large bio load. If you plan on having a few fish.......wait.....and get a nice size tank.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Bren: haha no, I don't yet have a SW tank. =D I was j/w how common it was for someone to have a mantis shrimp spring up on them. Nano-reef.com regards them as pests though I see a lot of youtube vids about mantis shrimp where people often keep them. Though, as I understand they don't play well with a lot of others..esp inverts.

Fishboy: a bigger tank would be wonderful, but my girlfriend is pretty upset just at the thought of me getting another tank, even a 12gal. lol I know larger volumes of water are easier to manage param wise but FW has given me a decent understanding on how crucial livestock ratios to your volume of water are. I'm cool with a firefish goby and a couple small banded trochus or nassarius snails, maybe an emrald crab and a fire shrimp and some corals really. Unless that's too much of a cleanup crew...? Any further recommendations are appreciated. =D

She actually gave me the go ahead on buying the nano 12gal...she just refuses to allow me to set it up unless I sell something else. lol I'm not finding new homes for all the guys I have now so...

She's right I guess. 4 Fishtanks in a 800sq ft apt is kinda pushing it..5 is a recipe for relationship disaster. lol

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Would it be possible, or even worth it...to use a 5gal as some sort of refugium for a 12gal nano? I guess if I were to go skimmerless more live sand/filtration would help?

I'm moving some fish from my 5gal to my 16 soon since I introduced some -new- kuhli's with ich to it a couple weeks ago and they all died despite treatment..so I'll have a spare ''tank'' with no real use..

I guess it would be hard to incorporate into something that has everything integrated though...

Btw, sorry giants fans. Philly showed you some football today. =D

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

dude......i think a micro nano reef would be off the hook !!!..........5 gallon display with a 2.5 sump and 2.5 fuge all drilled and mini piped and built into a little tiny stand ...............wow .................thats sick as hell ...................ut oh...........gears are turning ......lol

Boss

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

heh..so you really think the supplemental live sand and such on a 5gal would be worth the help? this is what it is...
http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marinel ... 3&mid=3227
So I'd basically be hooking two fully integrated systems together. Could be a pain in the ass since I had enough fun finding a way to get an internal filter into this stupid little 5gal.

How is it that refugiums/sumps work anyway? is there some sort of pump you have to put toward the top of the waterline on the sump to return water to the main tank so doesn't overflow?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

yes -- -in the sump or fuge there will be an area that is seperate from the sump usually on the end and theres a return pump in there to return the water coming from the over flow in the display

heres a great site that can answer any question - - but heres the sump section for ya

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Boss

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Haha..this looks like it could be complicated with a hexagon shaped tank...is the auto-top off and refugium/etc necessary? Or could I just kind've put a small piece of acrylic in across the back half and put a pump in that side to be used by switch, and then maybe some sort of seperate internal filter in the front side to keep water moving in there? Seems more trouble than its worth really in these nano circumstances. =D Thanks for all your help boss.

Wow

31 posts • Page 3 of 4