money making addiction????? is it possable???

68 posts • Page 4 of 7

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

You seem like a sensitive guy inside with a rough exterior Gumbii. It's Ok about missing the chance to show my kid your palace of scientific wonder. Maybe on another visit you'll be open to it. I wouldn't have any guests at my place right now because I've really let it get messy. At least there are no roaches! I have some cool stuff to play with like my extensive n-scale train layout with trains 60 cars long and 4 engines in the front and 2 half way back, garden plants and fountain with fish and oh ya, lots of aquariums, but I hate doing dishes and vacuuming, and folding clothes. My clothes are piled up in 2 piles. One is for clean and one is for dirty. I do keep my bed clean and sweet, and the bathroom gets scrubbed pretty often. I live in my bedroom and use the rest of the apt for storage mostly.

Boss: There's this lfs that just closed and there are lots of aquariums left over that the owner would probably almost give away. They would be perfect for raising fish but probably way too expensive to ship to NY.

I just got around to looking at the site this post is about. It looks pretty cool, but it's taking a while to load as there is something wrong with my computer. I'll let you know what I think when I read and look at everything.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

not a prob man ....hope your feeling better - - - -

lmao....i have the same 2 piles at my house, makes sense right? one clean, one dirty...................i don't understand what she's mad at, hehehe

gumbii

by gumbii

i also have 2 piles in my house... lol... i have tons of closet space and such... but i just hate putting clothes away...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Hey. My son like NEVER got sick when he was with me. It was always when he was at his mom/and her mom's house that he's come down with croup, the flue, ear infections, etc. He did get sick once this summer with me for the first time, but it only lasted a day. I think having the confidence in being healthy and him having a strong immune system is a very powerfull prevention measure. His mom always worries too much and he gets sick with her. Go figure?

Anyway, that site doesn't have anything on the fish part. I would think the folks who use tilapia would have it all worked out. I just think it would be much easier to have a bunch of graduating tanks than to have them all in one. the adults would either eat the fry, the males would beat up on the females, or the juviniles would start having babies before you had fish big enough to eat. Also, there would be a much more stable and constant supply of fertiliser if you had a constantly producing operation rather that one where you had to start over after each harvest.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'm not sure I get why there has to be different injection points. It seems to me that the water flow would end up mixing it all together making this process irrelevant. It seems to be a lot of extra hassel for nothing to me. I like the idea of relatively thin foam boards where almost all the roots are free dangling in the water.

I don't see why with the fish you couldn't have one filtration system for particulates, and then I can immagine with the rotating meathod of plant units there would be time for benneficial bacteria to develope on the more maturing ones and you wouldn't have to start the "cycle" over with each batch of plants.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

the main thing they are into is the plant production . . .the guy i met in my area is into the fish side of it as a dual sytem.........so yeah they really don't have alot of info on it............hence the reason im talking to you and gumbii and others that have put thoughts into it - - -question . . .is tilapia the best fish for the project? i only brought them up because he is looking at them ........what about trout or other popular types of fresh fish.....even bass {i think they are slow growing though, and not as popular as main stream fish for resturants} thoughts????

Boss

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

might have to set up a few breeder tanks with green house water and grow tanks with green house water and then have fry tanks set up as regular aquariums.................then move them into gro tanks....maybe even a few in size ranges - -to keep competition for food and space down - - - - -would i need to aquascape these tanks, they really aren't for "pets" so to speak

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I think tilapia would be the best for this as they grow very quickly and are extreamly hardy fish. Trout need cold water and I would guess cleaner water than tilapia.

I don't see why you couldn't just have a bunch of tanks next to each other and have water flow from one into the other via upside down U tubes. For breeding tilapia like to dig holes, so if you want them happy I'd put in about 4-5 inches of gravel for that tank. I'd have only one pair of mating kept in one tank by themselves. Move the male after a few days since you've noticed the female holding. I'm not sure how to graduate the tanks and how to get fish up to maybe 6-8 inches but people must be doing it right for food production tilapia. Maybe Google it?

Tilapia are easy to sex at about 2-4 inches so maybe you could seperate the males from the females and this may cut down on agression as well producton of unwanted fry.

snowboss

by snowboss

very interesting - - now you have to get to Gumbii's zoo for a trip on the west coast and by this time next year, you'll haver to come the Hydroponics green house at The Boss's house on the eastcoast......we'll get Pimp down over here too and really do it up, BBQ, Beer, Boats, Fish, and "water ever" happens to be growing in the green house, heheheheh - - -you can come to Gumbii, BUT NO "mansekts" LMAO
'
Boss

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Sounds good Boss. I'm still sick damn it! I hope I don't have West Nile virus. I haven't had body and head aches, and a sore throat this bad in as long as I can remember. I just checked my temp and it's over 100, so if it doesen't get better by today I'm going to see my doctor. This sucks.

money making addiction????? is it possable???

68 posts • Page 4 of 7