Water testing

37 posts • Page 3 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

What were your last nitrite readings when you said they were off the chart?

splif

by splif

well I've got the amonia to nothing or as close to as i can tell with the color chart I have. The nitrates are still astronomical.

Spongebob- The chart I have goes up to 5.0 and its a dark purple magenta-ish color. The color I get is darker than that. Off the chart, literally, lol. I just tested it again and it hasn't changed. Is there something that could be producing nitrate? or maybe something I can put in that will absorb it?

This is kinda frustrating lol.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Nitrate is converted from nitrite. Your nitrite is converted from ammonia. So it is normal to constantly be producing nitrate, you just have to keep the level below 20 or it becomes harmful for the fish. Phosphates will also increase your nitrates, and the only proper thing to maintain low nitrate is water changes. You don't want to mess with products unless its critical, they only cover up the problem and cause other problems... and you usually have to perform more water changes just to dilute these products anyway.

The ammonia is from waste, pure and simple... either from something decomposing in there, or from overfeeding, or from overstocking the tank with fish without adequate filteration (i dont count non-cycled tank as a reason since you show nitrates your tank must be cycled). Ammonia will stay low with water changes, but just as importantly from cleaning the substrate thoroughly... and let me emphasize thoroughly. If you have to question whether its thorough, its not thorough enough, you'll know when its thorough. If you want to describe to us in detail your cleaning process we can critique it for you.

Lastly, how much and how often do u feed.

splif

by splif

I'm sorry I misspoke my last post. The NitrItes are high, not the NitrAtes. I mistype that to much. My Nitrates are roughly 0, while my nitrites are 5.0+. Since I only have like 5 fish in there I havent been doing much cleaning as of yet. Usually I will get a 5-10 gallon bucket with a siphon hose and mix up the gravel on one side of the tank. The next week I will do the other side of the tank.

As far as feeding I have been feeding once at night and very very little. Those lil danios are psycho when I put that food in tho. Zip Zoomin everywhere like they are starvin to death, lol.

I'm also not a big fan of using chemicals. But that Nitrite level can not be safe even viewing from my noob fish keeping eyes.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Ok I just read the whole post again... with zero nitrates you are definitely not cycled yet, especially only 3-4 weeks into your new tank. The spike in ammonia and then this nitrite spike is exactly what you should be seeing... eventually your nitrite will decrease and nitrate will show up.

Have you had any algae show up yet? This is usually a good sign that you're cycling is well on its way. Test your water every other day, until you see nitrates... then you can do plenty water changes without worrying about delaying your cycle or restarting your cycle.

splif

by splif

Ok Just did a water test.
Heres my results:

Nitrate: 10ppm
Amonia: Less than .25 ppm
Nitrite: 2-5 Hard to judge, but its a lot lighter color than it used to be.

And Sponge, I havent seen any algae growth anywhere yet, but I'm kinda excited about the nitrites coming down a lil bit. (Ya I'm a loser with no fish in his tank but gets excited about nitrite levels dropping)So it seems everything is moving in the right direction.

Also added 5 tbspns aqua salt per Roan, we'll see how that goes...

I went to P*tSm*rt today and saw some of the fishes I want. It seems most people on here avoid the chain stores, but my petsmart looks a lot cleaner and more sanitarty than my petco does. and the nearest LFS to me is about a 25-30min drive away. Makes me a lil nervous to buy $30-$40 worth of fish and drive that far with them in a plastic baggy.

As far as the powerheads goes I was thinking about getting these http://www.aquariumguys.com/penguin550.html x2. Is this website a legit retailer? Anyone done business with them before? Their price on that particular product blows away any I can find in the chain stores.

Thanks again everyone, ironically this is fun for me even with the limited fishes I have. Can't wait to get what I want :D

I'll post again when things get more correct.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Splif, I personally would recommend the 30 minute drive to the lfs for two reasons... one being the fish are more likely healthier and will live longer than the chain store fish, and two being you'll feel better supporting their business rather than the chain store, but ofcourse your choice.

As for the powerheads i have heard good things about that site... and those powerheads look great especially at that price!

Also, post some pics when u get a chance :)

oh, and yes your parameters are on their way to good, keep up what you are doing.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Nice pics splif... maybe try a black background... it doesn't get old, and hides algae and equipment extremely well, and makes for good contrast with your brown substrate. Just a suggestion :)

How are the water parameters?

splif

by splif

I tested this morning, everything seems stable...thats the problem. Nitrite hasn't come down at all. I'm guessing it could be because I have so few, and small, fish?
I'm gonna do another fair sized water change tomorrow and check the params a few hours later.

I think I'm gonna go with a plain black background. I think it would contrast well with the white flagstone I have.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Nitrite will come down with water changes.... test right after a water change and if it hasnt changed whatsoever then you have problems. However, if it does go down, then this is part of your cycle, and don't worry. You just want to keep it at a safe level through your cycle.

It won't have to do with how small your fish are... because their waste has already been converted from ammonia to nitrite. What are your nitrates at?

Water testing

37 posts • Page 3 of 4