Water testing

37 posts • Page 2 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

if you have two riser tubes, you will either need to cover one up and put the powerhead on the other, or use two powerheads (as i do). As Brandon says, it will suck water up through the tube, which will pull water down through your gravel under the filter plates, making your gravel an excellent place for biological filteration. When you first place it on, it will actually pull up a heap of dirt that settled under the plates, so don't be afraid, just do some water changes each day until it clears. This method will be best for the long term, you won't ever have to worry that dirt is settled under the plate with a powerhead, just make sure its moving enough water, so double check on the gph.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yep,-like-Sponge-and-Poetic-said,-the-powerhead-is-just-a-water-pump-basically......You-remove-the-airstone-and-top-of-the-UGfilter-riser-tube-and-put-either-one-or-two-powerheads-on.(one-on-each-riser-tube,-or-as-Sponge-said,-you-can-use-one-by-blocking-the-riser-on-one-side...Remove-gravel-around-the-unwanted-riser-tube-and-stuff-with-something-so-gravel-can't-get-in-the-hole)...Personally,-I-would-use-2-PH's........Powerheads-can-create-a-lot-of-current,-so-there-are-ways-to-reduce-the-flowrate-if-there-are-fish-that-are-bothered-by-it........Danios-and-sharks-will-enjoy-a-bit-of-current-in-the-tank-and-will-usually-play-in-the-PH's-outflow.......A-heavely-planted-tank,-whether-fake-or-real,-will-also-slow-the-current-PH's-create........If-you-do-end-up-with-1-or-2-powerheads-and-there-is-too-much-current,-I-know-a-couple-tricks-that-will-allow-you-to-use-powerful-PH's-and-at-the-same-time-reduce-the-current.....One-of-these-is-to-get-a-(or2)-PH's-that-have-water-deflectors-attatched-to-the-outflow-and-you-can-deflect-the-water-toward-the-surface(make-sure-yours-can-deflect-up.....Some-only-deflect-down)......Another-useful-feature-your-PH's-should-have-is-a-little-air-tube-by-which-the-powerhead-can-also-suck-in-air-and-mix-it-with-the-water-creating-an-excelent-stream-of-bubbles-called-a-venturi.......If-you-get-2-PH's-and-everything-you-do-still-doesn't-slow-the-current-enough,-let-me-know-and-I'll-show-you-what-I-did.......Powerheads-are=pretty-cool-if-you're-a-motor/pump-nut-like-me......Keep-us-posted....PK

Roan

by Roan

I'm more than a little confused as to why the OP ran the tank for two weeks and no fish in it. Was another source of ammonia used to start the cycle?

masterjedibudt

by masterjedibudt

Until your tank is cycled...do like 25-35% water changes every like 3rd day...you will still get an Amonia reading but the fresh water helps the fish in the tank...amonia is caused by overfeeding...leaving uneaten food in your tank and the fishes waste...so cut back on the food and when your tank is finally cycled you can feed them a little more...That is what most new people do...is overfeed their fish...good luck!

splif

by splif

Ok, amonia has come down to nearly zero. Nitrates are down to ~10 but nitrites still off the charts. I'm gonna do another big water change in the am. I've also cut back the food to a single small serving every morning until I get these numbers correct. I'll test the water when I get home from work.

One more thing about the powerheads, how many gph is needed to adequately handle 55gal?

Thanks again everyone, you are all great.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

good to hear your amm and nitrates are under control... nitrites are a bit harder to bring down, but water changes will do just fine, so keep that up. Also, don't be afraid to miss a day here and there for feeding, it's difficult to starve a fish.

For the gph on the powerheads, it should be enough to push the water from underneath your filter plate. I use two aquaclear 20 powerheads, each has 126 gph, so about 250 total, which is about 12x my tank size. You could do anything from around 300 gph on up, more wont hurt if you get a powerhead that allows you to adjust the flow rate. Aquaclear allows this, and also has venturi feature and also has deflector so u can point the flow in certain directions, but other brands are also good.

Roan

by Roan

To help your fish through this, add 1 teaspoon salt -- table salt is fine -- per each 10 gallons. Nitrite toxicity is blocked by common salt, sodium chloride, NaCl. The chloride ion (Cl-) will counteract the oxygen transport blockage that is caused by nitrites.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

As-for-table-salt......It-contains-iodine-and-this-is-generally-considered-poisonous-to-fish.....I'd-go-with-sea-salt-or-aquarium-salt,-and-I've-seen-that-at-Wallmart.....

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Kosher salt has no additives I think it might work too.

Roan

by Roan

There's not enough iodine in table salt to poison fish. It's perfectly safe:

http://aquafacts.net/components/com_mam ... ated_Equal

Seriously. Save your money. And If the thought of adding iodine bothers you that much, just buy Morton's Plain salt - no iodine.

Water testing

37 posts • Page 2 of 4