Snail problem

23 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Darkruby5088

Snail problem

by Darkruby5088

I bought a blue mystery snail a while back ago and with it came a little hitch hiker that didnt look like a mystery snail. I decided to leave it inside my tank (big mistake), It populated itself so badly that my tank is over run by them. I am not sure what type of snail this is for it seems to stay about the size of half a dime and it lays eggs on the glass in little gel like forms. What is this?

Serial324556

by Serial324556

Not sure what it is. Got any pics? When I was a little kid we had a 55 gallon built into the wall in my basement at my old house. My parents took me to a community beach with a huge pond and I brought a couple home in a small pale. I secretly put them in there when I got home. My dad was pissed lol in about a week there was about a thousand snails in there. It took a while to get them all out because every time he took them out he would miss a couple and boom all over again.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

There's ramhorn snails, Malaysian trumpet snails, other larger trumpet snails, and common pond snails. Most have similar egg clumps. Clown loaches are supposed to be good snail eaters, but they may grow quite large. Some people say you can place a peice of meat on the bottom of your tank and the snails will cover it in a number of hours making it easier to get at them. Some kinds of fish will eat them if you crush them too.

I'd give you a tilapia if you lived near me because they eat them till they're gone.

miami754

by miami754

Yoyo loaches wiped out hundreds of snails in my tank in a matter of days back when I had an infestation several years ago. I'm not sure how big your tank is or anything, but it is an option.

Darkruby5088

by Darkruby5088

Well, I like the idea of the yoyo loach and the clown loach but which one grows larger for my tank is 55 gallons.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

All I know is it's best to keep clown loaches in groups of at least 3. They'll be inseparable.

The clown loaches I had stopped growing at about 2.5 inches and I had them for a couple years in a 100 gallon tank. I know they can get 6 inches or so though.

Darkruby5088

by Darkruby5088

one last question, should I buy The clown loaches first or last because I dont have any fish inside the tank and I dont want them to grow to fast.

snowboss

by snowboss

what about fresh water puffers...i hear their nasty lil critters......might have a problem with other fish down the road though .........justa thought, Boss

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

So it's just a tank full of snails right now plus your Mystery snail?

Clown loaches are native to fast moving streams in the Philippines or Indonesia or somewhere close to there. They should have plenty of oxygenation, clean well filtered water, and like a moderate current.

I don't know why mine stayd small. I gave mine plenty of food and room, lots of hiding places with rocks, wood, and plants. Other loaches such as Dojo loaches will do well with them and match size wise, and most other community fish would be OK too. I know they are very active and will swim together in a very playful colorful way. I would lean toward the smaller finned fish as opposed to say angels, diskus, female bettas, or large finned guppies, though they would probably do fine with anything.

They're not aggressive in my experience, but mine never got very large either. You could probably return them to the store if they got too large too.
Are you going to have live plants in this tank? Some of the easiest to find plants don't need a whole lot of light or special care and they help a lot with the cycle of waste/fertiliser. They cant be beat for their beauty and fish love them.

One thing about Clown Loaches is that they often lie on their sides, and this is normal healthy behavior for them. They'll eat pretty much anything though I fed mine Tetra tropical flakes.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

What are nasty little critters Boss? Clown loaches or puffers?

Snail problem

23 posts • Page 1 of 3