Snail problem

23 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

miami754

by miami754

Yoyo loaches also get to around 6" although mine never reached this size. I only kept mine for a while so they could get rid of the snails and then I returned them to the fish store. They are certainly playful things though - they really add a lot to a tank and I really enjoyed it when I had them. I just couldn't keep them for an extended period of time because my 58 gallon was already fully stocked. They, like the clown loaches, prefer to be kept in groups of at least three.

Some people have had problems with loach aggression in general, but this seems to be somewhat rare. For the most part, it seems like they get along with a wide variety of fish. I know mine never bothered anything else in the tank. That is just my experience though. I have never kept clown loaches so I can't comment on which is better. I just know yoyo loaches freaking knocked my snail population to zero in no time flat.

Darkruby5088

by Darkruby5088

I thank you all for your awsome replys, no more info is needed and thanks!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

puffers PK .....at least in salt water tanks.....they have been known to take chunks out of tank mates and completely desimate , invertabrates in mere moments....snails as well ........they'll flip em over and suck em right out.....

I can't speak fro clown loches ..........wouldn't know one if i tripped over it...lol

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Do the puffers puff up Boss?

angus4481

by angus4481

you might have to dry the tank out if you have an extreme case of them. its the only way to kill off the eggs all at once, otherwise they will take your tank over every week

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

are you messin with me PK? .......typed words don't reflect conotation [sp] - -but I'll go ahead and answer.............

yes they puff up.......light softballs with eyes poppin out of em, lol it lookes funny as hell, but ....and i stress to those who are new to puffs or are thinking about getting one just to see it...........................it is NOT good for them to do this, it's a survival tactic ...and if they are made to do it to often it can kill them.............how many times could you swallow enough air to make your body blow up 5 -10 times it's size before you pulled something....lol

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I wish I was messin with ya Boss!!! I've got permanent noticeable veins in my eyes from taking bong hits standing on my head when I was a kid and coughing my guts out. It's a good thing I now have the threat of a urine test hanging over my head or I'd probably be smoking that crap now, which means I would be eating myself sick and staring at my fish even more than I already do.

I know the salt variety puffs up because I've seen them in the tropics. My stepmom is a marine biologist and we were checking the nets the fishermen pulled in. Yea, they sure did puff!!!

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I for one can't imagine why they'd call a puffer a puffer...I mean its not like one would expect a puffer to puff? zomgwtfchknbbq! O.o

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

i have found that the fresh water puffers, the dp's or pea puffers are the best way to do this, i often go to the local pet store a week or so after they get their plant shipment in and clean the snails out of their tanks, i bring them home and put them in my planted tank the puffers with in a matter of an hour or so will decimate 50 snails, although i do happen to have 10 pea puffers in my tank, they also keep the mystery snails which i love at the back in the plants where they can clean away, the puffers are too small to do much harm to a larger sized mystery snail, and the puffers wont get too big to where they can eat the mystery snails, the puffers also eat the mystery snail egg clusters, and to answer the question "do the puffers puff up" lmfao yes they do, i had one of my more friendly puffers come to the glass when my niece had her nose on the tank and then she tapped the glass, the little thing puffed up and floated on it's side until it got near the bottom of the tank then swam back into the safety of the plants. funny funny funny stuff, although i don't recomend scaring them often as this stresses them out.

rsbadger15

by rsbadger15

guys....i keep hearing dwarf puffers puff...but mine NEVER do :S
and ive scared them a few times quite shockingly lol (never ever intentionally, i love the little guys too much)
and ive NEVER seen any proof of dwarf puffers puffing up, my ones puff their necks a little bit when they eat, but i assume thats juts normal eating movements!
can somebody direct me to a picture or video of a dwarf puffer puffing?
lol

Snail problem

23 posts • Page 2 of 3