New hobbyist with a few general questions (it's a long one)

23 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Natural_mama4

by Natural_mama4

My husband and I wanted to get some fish for our kids for an Easter gift. Since we don't have much space right now we decided to go with a 10 gallon and bought a kit with everything (well almost) at the pet store. We brought our tank home, got everything set up, waited about 24 hours and then added fish as the sales person suggested. The sales person recommended variatus platies (sp?) because they are bright, fun, and easy to take care of. Sounded perfect for kids and a busy mom new to fish. So we got 2 and plan to add more a couple at a time, and the sales person said 6-8 of that kind would be happy in a 10 gallon.

So there's my background, here's the questions. Does everything above that the sales person suggested sound good? She also suggested doing a partial water change (she said a couple inches) every week or two with a gravel vacuum. Today I did my first water change with the vacuum and it sucked out water faster than I thought it would. I didn't get all, o even half really, of the gravel cleaned before I had sucked out about 2 gallons. I just swirled the net around to catch what floating debris I could. I was afraid to take out any more water. I added aqua safe to water yesterday and it had been sitting out to make sure it was room temp, I only prepared 2 gallons, another reason I stopped. How should I go about the water change/gravel cleaning to be more efficient? And should I rinse my charcoal filter at all or just change every month? I've read on different sites to just rinse it during the water change, but also read to rinse in between changes, and it won't be necessary to change as frequently.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!!

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Right now, you are in the process of what is called cycling the tank. The most important filter in a person's aquarium is a couple different types of bacteria which break down ammonia into less harmful chemicals. The bacteria will not grow unless it has a supply of ammonia to feed on (as is provided by fish poop). The problem with a new tank is that there is no beneficial bacteria present, so until they grow and multiply in your tank, you will probably need to change your water more frequently than once per week. It is very important that you get a kit to test the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite in your water. If the levels become too high, up your water changes. Because the favorite place for bacteria to grow is in your filter media, it is very important that you not change it out, or rinse it in untreated tap water.

As for the platies recommendation, i think it was good advice. Beautiful, hardy fish and will not outgrow the tank.

In regards to the gravel vac, they do make smaller ones that don't the suck the water out as quickly, but no need to panic about taking "too much". As long as you dechlorinate the replacement water and match the temperature to your tank's, there is no harm in taking more than two inches. I replace 50% of the water in all my tanks every week.

And as for the charcoal, i don't use it, so i will leave that for someone else to answer.

neontank

by neontank

yea dont worry to much about taking out more than two gallons. and regarding the active charcoal if you use it dont worry about changing it that often due to the good bacteria that builds up on it

Natural_mama4

by Natural_mama4

This morning I woke up to find both fish hiding even after turning on the light. After a bit they came out and one looks pale and isn't acting like it's usual self. Both are a bit lethargic, but just one looks pale. As the day goes on his color has gotten a little better but not 100%.

Are they sick or just stressed? Did I wait too long to clean the tank? (probably!) Can I make them better? I did some googling and found if the tank was off (I dint have tests yet but will definitely get some very soon) I could do water changes (no more than 50%) daily for 3 days which will help get it cleaned without stressing the fish more. Is this a good idea? I see from natalie265 that I should be doing water changes more often than once a week right now while the tank is cycling.

Thanks for the great info so far!

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

They are probably stressed. This could be normal stress from being moved from one tank to another, or it could be stress due to high levels of nitrites/ammonia in your cycling tank. If it is the latter, then water changes should help. If you are unsure because you don't have the test kit yet, i would do a water change.

One concern i have is that, in your original post, you mentioned that when you cleaned the tank you got out as much "floating debris" as you could. a tank that's only a week or so old really shouldn't have much visible debris at all. (and neither should a well kept established tank). I'm wondering if you might be over feeding. Over feeding is especially dangerous right now because it leads to the fish pooping more which leads to more ammonia. Uneaten food also decomposes adding more ammonia to your tank.

tekneb

by tekneb

Fish do act that way when they have ammonia sickness, and also for a myriad of other reasons. Keep doing the water changes as necessary, daily if you have to (I wouldn't worry about it stressing out the fish much). Once you get the test kits, you will definitely get a better idea of how frequent your water changes need to be.

Btw there are ways to speed up the cycle. If you have a friend who already has an established tank ask if you can get a piece of his/her filter media or a handful of their gravel for your tank. You could probably ask your pet store as well and I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige. Their filter/gravel will already have the beneficial bacteria growing on it so you it won't have to grow from scratch. This process is called "seeding" and it can cut your cycle time by weeks.

Natural_mama4

by Natural_mama4

The tank is closer to 2 weeks old now. I wasn't in a rush to clean it because the pet store sales person said every 1-2 wks & it didn't look dirty and the fish looked and acted fine. I know now to do more frequent water changes. And it seems we may be over feeding. There has never been food left floating around but some does fall to the floor or get caught in plants because it starts to sink once the fish start nibbling on it. I feed twice a day, is this too much? I'll get a test for the water and get it right for the fish.

To condition the water before re-filling the tank I use aquasafe by tetra, it came with the kit. It's just a trial size so I'll need to buy more soon. Is this a good brand/product or do you recommend something else? And it calls for 1 tsp per 10 gallon. Where I'm just treating 2 or 3 gallons at a time I'm estimating using the smallest medicine dropper I have which only goes down to .625 mL. Does this measurement have to be exact or would a little more solution to water be ok?

I will also feed them less. Should I stick with twice a day and less at each feeding or go with once a day?

I really appreciate everyones help!

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Honestly, if flake food is making it all the way to the bottom of the tank, you are probably over feeding. My fish get every last scrap before it has a chance to sink. There's nothing wrong with feeding twice daily, but it is easier to over feed if you do. I would cut back to once per day at least until you get your tank cycled. Fish need much less food than most beginners think. When feeding, keep in mind that the fish's stomach is about the size of his eyeball. This visualization has helped me to avoid over feeding.

I tend to not be exact in my measuring of water conditioner and i've never had any problems. I'm sure there's a point if you put too little or too much when problems would arise, but i think as long as you are in the ballpark it's probably ok. I have used several brands and don't really have a favorite, however, API makes a water conditioner that is more concentrated, so you only have to use one drop per gallon versus 1 tsp.

Natural_mama4

by Natural_mama4

Thank you fir everyone's help!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

very first thing the salesperson should recommend are liquid test kits...you need to get a test kit for ammonia, nitrite. nitrate and ph (low and high end) and a temperature stick on...then you get the tank, other items for the tank and the 2 fish to cycle with

once you get the liquid test kits, do readings of your tap water and the fish tank water...let us know the results

23 posts • Page 1 of 3