New hobbyist with a few general questions (it's a long one)

23 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Alasse

by Alasse

I change my carbon in my fry tanks every 2 weeks. Other tanks i change monthly.

I would change the carbon in your tank. 1 because you have had deaths in there and 2 The carbon will be depleted and no longer doing its job. I see no point to using carbon for longer than its proper application. If you want to have a different media in there, then use noodles or something specific for bacteria.

Natural_mama4

by Natural_mama4

Ok so I'll get a heater, probably another filter, & another fish. I'm afraid of killing this one too though! Should I do partial water changes every couple of days still til the tank finishes cycling? And should I treat the water with anything special since the 2nd one had white stuff on it?

And one other sort of unrelated question. When you do partial water changes, do you take out all of the fake plants & decorations or leave them be?

Alasse

by Alasse

With fish in cycling you will need to do small frequent waterchanges. I would do a 1/4 of the tanks water every 3 days. I do not remove anything the do gravel cleans.

I wouldnt worry about treating the water, especially if the tank has been empty for a few days.

New hobbyist with a few general questions (it's a long one)

23 posts • Page 3 of 3