New to plants - Java Fern and Algae

26 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

I put a couple of Java Ferns in my tank. I have never really tried live plants until now. I gave the ferns plenty of light to help adjust to the tank. Now the leaves have algae all over them. Is this bad for them? Am I giving too much light?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

yes, you are giving the plants way too much...I am a big supporter of growing algae in the tank, but I am completely against any algae on plants. This is where I tend to prune or take off the algae every Sunday (prune day).

The reason you do not want any algae at all on the plants or leafs is the plants need to absorb nutrients, and if the algae is directly on the leaf, not only is the competition for the nutrients greatly restricted but the pores on the leafs cannot absorb the necessary nutrients from the water column. Even algae that is around the bottom of the plant, by the gravel, need to be thoroughly taken away by hand.

So you may need to cut the lighting down to about 7-8 hours per day. Cut away ALL the algae from the plants and observe. You may find yourself, once a week pruning back the algae from other places in the tank or taking away all the algae off the plants. It's just another routine maintenance we fishkeepers must go through.

So yes, absolutely, I cannot stress enough, never ever permit algae to grow directly on the plants...now on wood, rock, gravel (not around plants), I advocate to grow algae naturally as long as it is managed.

Hope this helps

Tien6079

by Tien6079

The info really helps, thank you. I only have my lights on maybe 6 hrs a day, but the lights are intense and close to the water. The plants are in my Fluval Edge that I blogged about earlier in the week. So how do I remove algae from the plant?

kraigt

by kraigt

Depends how much of the plant is covered, if your plants are smothered then the plants may need replacing, if a little, then a simple prune.

I use shrimp personally, had a little problem a while back, added a couple of shrimp and was so happy with the job they done, I now have a second tank with ghost shrimp, bamboo shrimp, large mountain shrimp, orange shrimp and green shrimp, with just 10 Tetras to keep them happy with poop, but im still yet to have an algae problem lol

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Java fern and moss can't grow in gravel. They need to be tied to wood or something they can eventually grow onto and the roots need to be exposed to the water so they don't die.

Often Java fern's leaves have been dammaged by transport and you'll need to be patient as new leaves will grow out of the dieing ones. This can be unsightly, but just carefully tie down with thread or rubber bands the leaves that are sprouting baby leaves and eventually it will grow very well.

As Yasher said you could be using too much light or light for too long, though I have no problems with up to 12 hours per day.

I think more likely that nitrates are too high. Test for nitrates and keep them below 10-20 ppm and algae will get under control quickly.

Feed less to do this and do water changes enough to keep these nitrates down.

Water changes are a pain in the ass, but it's the key to a healthy tank. Remember that "topping off" from evaporation is not a substitute for water changes. Good luck. PK

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

One thing I thought of:

Is this "algae" easy to wipe off, or not? If it comes off with a swish of water using your hand or something it's cyano-bacteria.

Keeping nitrates low is still the remedy.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

Yes, it does easily come off with the light touch of a brush. I never have the lights on for more than 6 hrs. I think it is nitrates. The tank is brand new. I used all of the cycled water from my old tank, but it must not have been enough to completely establish this tank. I will do frequent water changes and see what happens from there. I am waiting for my LFS to get some good algae eating shrimp in as well.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Kraigt and PK offered excellent advice.

Just wanted to add: again, most experts would frown upon placing your hands directly in the tank - of course if you have fish that will treat your fingers as a meal, you should keep your hands or fingers out of the tank, and then my only advice is, like you said Tien, get some shrimp (or otos or snails) and/or take a long instrument, possibly a scraper with a long handle and try to take off the algae - whereas I say, bah to the experts...if your hands are without disease or open sores (I know that sounds awful), then by all means, place your hand(s) into the tank and literally take the algae off the plants. This is what I do every Sunday.

Plus it's kinda cute cause the fish will nip lightly at your skin thinking it may be food or something, but what I find fascinating about it is, the fish, snails and frogs are not apprehensive of the "intruder"...it's just another way of getting close to the fish.

Anyway, PK and Kraigt has good advice...probably are the nitrates considering it is a new tank. Water change and cut down on the feeding; nitrate test the water about 2-3 times a week, observe, and go from there.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

Thanks for the info. None of my LFS have algae eating shrimp in. I was told most are from florida and due to the cold there, they have not got any in a while. In the mean time I will continue with water changes and manually remove the algae. Thanks!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... catid=1086

That link is for algae eating fish...the shipping runs a little high, $34.99 overnight, but you will find, dr fosters fish are very well kept (I buy most of my new fish from them).

And that fish at their web site is in stock. (You may also want to take a look around the web site for other algae eating fish).

Hope this helps

26 posts • Page 1 of 3