New to plants - Java Fern and Algae

26 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

If he has cyano-bacteria nothing will eat it. Cyano is slimy and is hard to get under control. I got rid of mine in a few days using Phoscheck. It looks like little tiny white balls and can be put in a media bag, or wherever you put charcoal.

I also reduced nitrates to virtually zero with water changes.

I've found, and you have to be careful not to suck up any fish, that it can be sucked up with a siphon when cleaning the gravel or doing water changes.

We don't all agree on everything Yasher, but I think siamese algae eaters are too aggressive and get a bit big. I prefer Ottos (Ottocinclus catfish). These are small unobstrusive fish(1 inch max) that IMO are better than SAE's. Some people say that they olny eat algae and if you have none they will starve, but I've never had that problem.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

as far as I know, Siamese algae eaters get to about 3-4 inches which isn't too big also I beg to differ, siamese algae eaters are peaceful. I believe you are thinking of the Chinese algae eaters, these fish are semi-aggressive and get to about 1 foot long.

I do agree, the otos are pretty cool (I have oto in the tank I own), but the stability of an oto is very weak. Unless there is a huge amount of algae on an ongoing basis, an oto will literally starve to death.

Anyway, if you click the link above, you will see there is a difference between a Siamese algae eater and a Chinese algae eater...I certainly can understand the confusion, I too always mixed the two up.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... catid=1086

above link is Siamese Algae Eater 3 and a half inches adult size and peaceful)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... catid=1564

above link is a Chinese Algae Eater (10 inches adult size and semi-aggressive)

I'm glad no one placed any bets :)

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

No. That's the one. I just didn't want a fish that got 3-4 inches long that didn't fit with my community tank. It also rips around too fast for my taste.

I agree that they're supposed to be great at algae eating though.

As you can see from my new (bad quality) pics that I don't have a problem feeding my 4-5 ottos.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well your tank is very well planted, so absolutely, 4-5 otos will do fine (otos love pecking at leafs, and you have plenty of them).

I bought 5 otos months ago, and only have one hardy little fella left, he does fine in the tank...23 hours out of 24 the fish is constantly grazing the tank

Tien6079

by Tien6079

So I bought a couple blueberry shrimp to eat some algae and clean the bottom...they lasted about 2 1/2 days and now they can't be found. They either climbed out, which I doubt, or my betta killed them. He is the only fish large enough to bother them. I may look for the siamese algae eater.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

siamese algae eater is the way to go in your case

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yasher: I think you've enlightend me on the difference between these two fish.

They do get confused a lot, and i probably had a chinese algae eater.

BUT> If this stuff is not true algae, but sticky, easy to get off, cobweb looking, smelly cyano-bacteria (which is quite common) I don't think anything like to eat it.

Maybe we should determine exactly what is in this tank before we suggest ways to get rid of it.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I, and another member here have had quck sucess getting rid of cayano-bacteria by doing plenty of water changes and using Phoscheck. It went away in a few days and hasn't come back.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

It is hard for me to determine wether it is algae or cayanobacteria. I have wiped most of it off my plants with my fingers. It feels somewhat gritty to the touch. I dont mind cleaning it manually tho. I bought my edge from my lfs and when I came back I week and a half later I asked the owner if he has algae problems with his edge due to the intense lighting. He was shocked to hear that I have algae and said that if I have algae, my tank must be cycled already. I tild him that I had 2 1/2 gallons of cycled water and sand from my old tank that I put into the edge. Considering the edge is 6 gallons, I assume that the old water was enough to cycle it right away. I am still doing water changes but I do not have a current nitrates tester. Hopefully this helps in determining if this is algae or not.

New to plants - Java Fern and Algae

26 posts • Page 2 of 3