New to plants - Java Fern and Algae

26 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

The water does not contain much of the bacteria needed for cycling. The bacteria live on all the surfaces including gravel, plants, filter media, etc.

Doing those water changes will reduce nitrates (or ammonia, and nitrite), so this is the most important thing. Cyano-bacteria stinks like rotten seaweed. Also keep food restricted.

Good luck. It'll work out with time as I think you have a handle on this.

keep us posted.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

Yeah, it seems to be less of a problem already. I found out what happened to at least one of my blueberry shrimps...stupid thing got caught in the grate of the filter intake. He was alive when i pulled him out but he didnt last more than 24 more hours. Makes me mad...he was $4! I shouldn't be too mad tho, I have lost $100 salt water fish lol. Live and learn...or rather kill and learn lol!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Sponge filters come in all sizes and shapes and many are designed to slip over a filter intake, and they're cheap.

This not only improves biological filtration, but keeps small fish and 'shrimp' from getting caught or sucked up.

And yes, it's happened to me when filter intake fell off for a period a couple times. Poor otto. Poor ghost shrimp. Poor coolie loach. RIP!

Tien6079

by Tien6079

I may have to do that as I wot be able to keep any shrimp. I want a khuli loach as well but he wld get caught up in my filter too.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

So, I may not have the issue under control. I think it might be cyano bacteria. It is showing up everywhere now. It is primarily on my java ferns but I find it on the sand and decor. It is fibrous, slimy, and looks like frayed green thread. It is a royal pain in the butt!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Find out what you ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are, and post them.

www.plantgeek.com has pics of algae. Look at the different ones and see if any match.

New to plants - Java Fern and Algae

26 posts • Page 3 of 3