Why large waterchanges are a must.

28 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I kept saying I had a chart with numbers to back why I do 1 large water change every 2-3 weeks........well heres my backing that i went off of. Overall.....it leads to a more stable system if your doing your waterchanges right...

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/t_ ... ll_wc.html

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

waterchanges are such a pain in the ass...

Gldntrmite8894

by Gldntrmite8894

Between evaporation replacement and water change in my 200 i do 25-40 gallons a week......

And Blue, you hit it on the head....... they SUCK!!

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ohhh ya, salt creep is a pain in the ass too........... i think im headed to my lfs to see if they have any sps out, most likely not so ill prolly be wasting approx 10 bucks in gas but o well...

Gldntrmite8894

by Gldntrmite8894

Must be the day for it, ran out at lunch and grabbed a small mushroom frag and small purple and green brain. Not sure why other than i needed something new to take my eyes off the algea!!

fihsboy

by fihsboy

You guys arent kidding. I just went out today and bought an encrusting montipora. Sweet stuff. Heres what I do to make waterchanges easier.......I use two brute trash cans on wheels..one is full of new water and one is empty....I use a Eheim 1260 to pump the water from the trash can to the tank after I have siphoned out the old water into the empty trash can. it works really really well. Eventually......im going to just buy a really long hose so I dont even have to roll the trash cans. It takes me about 10 minutes to do a full 20 gallon water change. Thats putting everything back and away. It is seariously worth buying the trash cans...it used to be a really big mess......water all over the place and lifting buckets.......PHEW, no more! Make it easy on yourselves guys. :)

Gldntrmite8894

by Gldntrmite8894

I have unlimited access to powerheads so i use them to move the water from buckets to the tank and back. I have my MaxPro Mpro reverse osmosis unit just haven't had the time to hook it up which would really simplify things!!

Thinking about having it fill a large holding tank that i can then pump water from it to a tank or trashcan, mix the reef crystals / buffer etc then pump into the tank.

Also looking at having it auto top-off for evaporation.... work in progress!! LOL

fihsboy

by fihsboy

autotopoff.com they have awesome kits and its all premade and works great! Cheap too! :) Well worth the cash.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

Im not going to read that Link but i do agree with large frequent water changes, and have preached this theory to half the world.lol.. I actualy like doing them, as odd as that sounds to some of you. Tank maintenance is KEY..If your a person that slacks on WC, you probably slack on many other very important things, Like cleaning salt creep from lights, monthly maintenance on pumps, cleaning the skimmer cup atleast 2x a week, and the list goes on...=) Im a clean freak what can i say...

Gldntrmite8894

by Gldntrmite8894

I've found with each passing week i spend more and more time with the tank. Fiddling with everything from the pumps, skimmer, lights etc.. It's addicting, I absolutely dread vacation time as I have no idea what i'm going to do with the tank. I just don't trust anybody with it and not willing to pay the LFS for daily visits!

28 posts • Page 1 of 3