Why large waterchanges are a must.

28 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

auto top off will hold you through a week. :)

Gldntrmite8894

by Gldntrmite8894

I've got pretty much everything i need, just have to tap into the water line on other side of the wall and then get the reserve tank. So hopefully, by vaca time i'll have it all in place and will only need one visit from the LFS to make sure everything is fed and still kicking.

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Well I will fuck a pig in the middle of a pub.
THE PIMP STILL ALIVE

Any way
I do weekly water changes, and change 200ltrs of NSW
My Parameters are perfect always, and dont have the need to dose anything except Ca and KH just to accelerate Coraline algae.

If any one is wondering on the conversion, I have 200 Gallon tank and 52 gallon water changes 25%
Its easy. Got myself a pond pump - 6500ltrs per hour, siphon water from my sump into the shower. Then switch on my pump and refill. all this is done with a garden hose. I don't heat the water cause its about 20 degrees and the tanks 25 so the difference only drops it about a degree or so.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i know everyones prolly aware of it but i havn't seen it mentioned in this post - but topping off your tanks is not a water change, its only a dilution replacment of straight water lost due to eveporation. it doesnt replace trace and all the goodies in the water.

on a side note i agree and do 25% changes every Sunday usually at 7am before the "Car-toons" come on . . . lol

i am in the process of building a 120gal in the wall witha tank room in the basement, so water changes will be simplified to turning valves and flipping switches then ..............for now the ol bucket is my friend

i pulled my old tom aquatics wet/dry filter yesterday and salvaged the return pump out of it, put a 10gl tank under the stand and ran the overflow into a filter sock, put the skimmer, heater, some rock and the return pump in there and set up a good ol sump.

it increased my water volume from 1 1/2 gallons in the filter to 6 gallons in the sump - looking to get a small light and maybe some calupra [sp}] and see if that helps with the algae issues some

Boss

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'm about to do another on my big tank.

I have a 30 foot hose with attatchments for my plumbing now, so it's a LOT easier.

Gldntrmite8894

by Gldntrmite8894

Good point Boss, being new to the hobby i just added the evap water into my figures when doing water changes.. I'm doing a 50gal change this week and will let you know if it helps out with the algea..

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Are you using old lights? That grows algae regardless of low nitrates.

Gldntrmite8894

by Gldntrmite8894

They are 8 months old, brand new when i installed the tank.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

time for new ones, rule of thimb is 6 months, if your running them more than say 8 hrs a day id cut back to 4-6 months

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok guys new problem, i got rid of my red slime algae, and now ive got this brown algae that is really stringy, it just kinda popped up after the red algae and it was just stringy on some rocks and then it stated growin on the glass,,, not i really have to do something about it because its getting caught on my xenia and preventing them from opening up, kind of like a cob web. Thoughts...

Why large waterchanges are a must.

28 posts • Page 2 of 3