Red slime algae

36 posts • Page 1 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

Red slime algae

by blueshoes2208

Ok boss, my tank is officially infected with it, how do i cure it

Ant071510085

by Ant071510085

of course im sure you looked online but i came across this and i hope it helps . keep me posted

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diatom ... ealgae.htm

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

actually i ahvent had time to research it but before boss puts his two cents into it ill take my own shot at what i shuld do and then see what everyone says. I leave my lights on for a good 14 hrs per day, so im guessing cut that down to 8 hours, i havent done water changes weekly, more like bi weekly which hasnt lead to a increase in my levels but im guessing its contributing. My nitrates have always been at least 20 ppm which is another contributor. Idk what my phosphates are so who knowz haha. Time to get this battle rollin. what do u guys propose?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i had a red slime outbreak a few weeks back along with the green shit, i have gone to 25% weekly water changes, replaced my skimmer with a new larger one but i think the one thing that did kill it in a matter of a couple days was i did one water change with a lower salinity level, like 1.015.............can't say it did it but it disapeared that week and im back up to my regular .023 -.025 level {note refractometer is the only way to get solid readings if you dont have one get one right now !!!} the only other thing im doing is ive been useing more filter floss than usual and change it out completly every week also

i think all my algae issues are a lack of sand stirrers and my deep sand bed is crashing..............the next tank will have a much more shallow bed and better cleaner crew

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

humm.....well i can tell you for sure that for the past 6 months my tank has been running no lower than 1.023 and typically runs at 1.026 so with my sps and lps idk if they would make it through a 1.015, nor would i think my nem would make it either.
I think im just going to cut my light down, more frequent water changes, siphon out the algae, add chemi pure elite to the filter, clean my skimmer and maybe add some phosguard to the filter as well.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Flow. Add more flow and pull the slime out directly. When you do your water change siphon it out directly off the sand. Has anyone here considered vodka dosing? Im doing it and it works better than anything ive used.......seariously. I had 10-20 in nitrates.......dosed 0.5ml of vodka and it jumped to zero by the next day. My sps are exploding with growth...I think it will rid just about anything from your tank. its awesome.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

humm.... the buildup started directly when i pushed my powerhead down towards the sand, it made a hole / sand bank and thats where the algae started growing lol, and idd you say vodka? as in like alcohol vodka??

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

lol - -yes he said vodka - i have an aqui-pure dosing system for the big tank, and you litterally inject vodka into it and it uses a small pump from the sump/tank pushes through this thing and drips in the tank. the theory is that the nitrates eat the sugar and they disappear rather than causeing algaes and such it is also thought to be a good Phosphate control as well BUT it is a slow long process ..............vodka works the best but plain ol sugar and water will do the same thing just the vodka is pretty much sugar in its purest form.........

you should have seen my reaction when i was at my buddies house {the guy who sold me the 120 and equipment} and i found a handle of grey goose in his fishtank stand.....i was like "dude do i need to set up an intervention here?"

here's an article and exhaustive test done by one of my favorite aquarist Meleev

http://www.melevsreef.com/vodka_dosing.html let us know how it goes

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

well. the phosguard and chemi pure will tkae a while for me to get, as far as the siphoning goes, ive never siphoned anyting out, when i had a fresh tank i did a 95% water change when i cleaned it, jus put the fish in a bowl hahaha, anyways does it not suck the water out as well? Or does it just suck the particles out? Lighting has been cut down to 7 hrs a day, do you think my corals will be okay with that?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Yeah.....you should only run your halides 8 hours a day anyways. The vodka stimulates the bacteria and the bacteria eats the wastes a lot faster because theres more bacteria. And it binds with PO4 molecules making your skimmer skim them out. My skimmer now pulls twice what it used to. its crazy how effective it is.

Red slime algae

36 posts • Page 1 of 4