Red slime algae

36 posts • Page 2 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok well i highly doubt i will be able to obtain vodka since im not a partier, and im only 19, will sugar water achieve the same goal

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

sugar water will do the exact same thing, only i don't know what the ratio of sugar to water is for the solution, im sure reefcentral has a post on it some where

fihsboy

by fihsboy

blue I started with sugar and got my mom to buy me vodka. I would start off with one ml of sugar....in your water. Its about a pinch. Add a pinch every other day. Dont over do it.....you will know if you overshoot it. Your corals will hate you. Less is more when adding this stuff. Try the pinch.....and you have to work your way up.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok well is pure cane sugar or powdered sugar any better than just normal suger?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I dont know....to be honest. I just did regular table sugar. And it worked great. You can also use vinegar. It works well too.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ill try the sugar, ive noticed a dramatic increase in it in the past 2 days... i added pure RO water as a top off and i think it helped it... so in theory would a higher salinity hinder it?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

just got to be careful with your corals and verts --they dont like big changes in paramiters, i only have clowns so i did some drastic shit with my salinity and to be quiet honest it did make fast changes but nothing long lasting, as soon as i came back to normal levels it started growing again - - -i have been thinking about setting up a tub with something in the 2.000 or higher level and bathing the rocks for like a week and see if i can "steralize" them but that would be like buying dead rock after i was done - - -havent done it yet but im getting there - - -im gonna mess with the sand bed this week and if that dont work im gonna get real extreme

Boss

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

what is the oceans cure for the algae? Its gotta be in the food chain somewhere

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Theres a few hermits that will eat it.........but what you have to realize is that red slime is actually a bacteria. Im not sure if the sugar would help or hinder now that I think about it. Most of the time the red slime grows in anerobic areas where water flow is low and lighting is poor. (in the wild that is)

snowboss

by snowboss

i would think its in the food chain but as far as large growths of algae go..........in the ocean the reefs aren't where the algae is.....unfortunatley we don't have the luxery of moveing our reefs 50 miles to the north or south of a bad algae area................google algae fields, the largests one is off the west coast of africa like 300-400 miles wide and the entire length north and south {1000's of miles} if it were to disapear the worlds entire ecosystem would crash...........so in a sense algae's are a needed part of this cycle we call life

Boss

Red slime algae

36 posts • Page 2 of 4