Tank temp too high

31 posts • Page 1 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gldntrmite

Tank temp too high

by gldntrmite

Ok,

I've got a 200 gallon tank and the temp has been consistantly 80-84 degrees. I've lost my Colt and had to move the Anthillia to another tank as it was dieing out. Since moving the Anthillia it has come back and looks great as the temp in the other tank stays steady at 76.

Question is: What is the easiest way to bring the temp down and keep it down?

I've unplugged the heater, blinds and drapes are over the only window in the room. Besides investing in a cooler is there anything else i can try?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

go to wally world, point a fan on your sump. Dont have a sump......point it at your water on your tank. Your going to get evaporation.....but it will work. and My tank stays at 80-81, as long as your stable there, no problems. Were you getting temp swings?

gldntrmite

by gldntrmite

Nothing huge, running around 84 durring the day and hitting 80 at night. Is that too much change? I do have a nice sump, and i've already got evaporation, add 5-10 gallons a week to the tank. I've got an RO unit, just haven't hooked it up yet. Thought about a couple small fans, i've got openings in the hood and thought i could draw out some heat there and then never thought about the sump, i'll try both and let you know how it turns out.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

in an emergency, freeze some of your top off water and drop some nice cool RO cubes in there - - -would work in the sump as well

seach for "redkneck chiller" on this site - -i designed one on paper but havent built it yet, feel free to use the idea if you want to - - - just post results, lol

Boss

gldntrmite

by gldntrmite

LOL, i actually thought about doing that!! I'll start with the fans and see how that helps out. I think the hood is trapping a lot of hot air from the lights. The cooling fans on the lights actually dump out on the side however the hood is very tight on the sides however open on top. Might modify the hood with some skilled router work and put a screen on it so as not to look bad so the lights actually vent out of the hood.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i think air blowing across the top of the water works just as good as it blowing directly on the water and it saves A LOT on evaporation.........you'll still have quit a bit but not as bad - - - - put a couple computer fans in one end and screen the other and remove the hot air off the top of the tank and let it do its thing............might try re timeing your lights to early morning and later evening, so the tank is quiet during the heat of the day too

Ill build that chiller one of these days just to see if it can be done - - - i hate spending money if i don't have to ........lol

Boss

gldntrmite

by gldntrmite

I'll let you know how it works out..

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Snowboss is dead set right, you will be amazed on the drop in temp with a small fan. And its better for the long term operation of your lights making them last longer and not over heating. try and up the temp, it sounds strange but you say temps of 80-84 range, if you up temp on heater a degree or two, the difference between day and night temps is much less, and better for the fish. they hate change.
no matter what you will get a high temp of 84, which is hard to regulate true...
but you can easily regulate your cold temps by increasing the temp on the heater....
less change less stress..... and 84 is not that high.

gldntrmite

by gldntrmite

I've currently got the heater unplugged, never kicked on due to the higher temps. I'll be getting a fan tomorrow and should have it installed later this week or weekend. I'll keep you guys posted on the results and thanks for the help..

jennyg49

by jennyg49

When you say run the fan over the top, does the top need to be off?

My aquarium has a glass top that covers the entire system and the light hangs over. I've been placing the lid off to the side to open it up (and keep the temp under 85) but it doesn't look great. Will just running the fan over the glass top help, or are you saying to run the fan over the open tank? thank you! sorry for the dumb question!

Tank temp too high

31 posts • Page 1 of 4