Tank temp too high

31 posts • Page 2 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Ditch the glass top. It will inhibit gas exchange, and warm your tank like a green house at the same time. Your tank will be a LOT healtier without a glass top. I would take get a few computer fans and a power converter from radio shack.....hook it up and bam. Keep your heater on! Stability is key. The fan will cool and the heater will heat, but only if it dips down under what you set it to. The LFS has a main 210 that runs 86 EVERY DAY. but it doesnt move. and his corals and fish are fine. im not kidding you either. as long as your stable.......and there arent swings....no problems. Im pretty sure his corals are adapted to the high temps now...but you would be fine at 83-84 max.

jennyg49

by jennyg49

wow ok cool. BUT, will the salt water evaporating mess up my light? I included a link of my light if it helps...

GLASS COMPACT FLOURESCENT PENDANT
http://www.petsolutions.com/Solana-Aqua ... 8+C11.aspx

The booklet for the light did say "a small amunt of di-electric grease (also known as silicone paste) is recommended to be placed on teh pins of the lamp to ensure that salt water creep and moisture stays out of the connection."
Is this a common practice?
thanks!

fihsboy

by fihsboy

ive never heard that, but it sounds like it would work. thats some searious salt creep to hit a pendent. I have some salt on my lights......but I wipe it off once a week to make sure im getting all the light I can get. You evaporation shouldnt be enough to cause condensation........if your having that much, phew. lordy. now knowing you have a pendent. and its Compact flourescent....you should be able to just remove your glass lid and be fine. :) What kind of fish do you have again? watch for jumpers.

gldntrmite

by gldntrmite

I only have glass under my lights, so 50% of the tank is open. The hood stands a foot taller than the top of tank so i have room for fans and it usually keeps the jumpers at bay as they just fall back in the water after bouncing off the hood. Only had one jump through the back which is open, poor wrasse died on the lobby floor over the weekend.

I keep the glass as you'd be amazed how much build up is on them after a week. I've got mad evaporation, 5-15 gallons a week. So i clean the glass weekly and i'll be installing my RO unit this weekend along with the fans.

the evaporation has my salinity always on the high side however i'm hoping between the RO unit and regular water changes i can keep it lower and more stable.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Your not going to hook your RO unit directy to your tank are you?

gldntrmite

by gldntrmite

Oh no, into the sump.... currently i've got a 50 gallon sump with a Marineland 300 skimmer sitting in it. I've got an electric sensor for the RO with a back up mechanical float. The RO unit is a MaxPure MPRO rated at 60 gallons per day.

jennyg49

by jennyg49

Sorry, I was out of town so a little late on catching up here...

I have a clown, coral beauty, and one other fish (forget type- pink and yellow w/ spot on his top fin). My first clown jumped out when I first began tipping part of the lid off, so now there is a screen. I guess otherwise my fish aren't normally jumpers. Sucks when that happens though!

There isn't really too much buildup on the glass now, so I think it should be ok...
Fishboy- what is RO?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Reverse Osmosis. Its used in an RO/DI unit. Reverses Osmosis Dionizer, its a unit that filters out your water so when you put it in your tank its clean as a whistle. Its lab quality water. :) Its what you almost have to use in a reef, tap water will release silica among other things, and silica in particular is what makes algae grow. I often wonder why they use silica sand in pools........wouldnt that affect algae in your water?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

we dont use chlorine and shock chems in our tanks though, so thats prolly why pools dont have algaes in them

check this auto top off controll, triple redundant system, me likes ...........safe is good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OceY9uOKk4

Boss

fihsboy

by fihsboy

But as soon as the chlorine goes.......tank goes LIME green. Its happening to ours now. No one in Florida evens uses liquid chlorine anymore.......unless you do it yourself.......but EVERY company uses gas.......its a LOT more potent and you just about have to. We were dumping 10 containers of chlorine in our pool a week......200-250 bucks of chlorine......someones got to think of a better way.

Tank temp too high

31 posts • Page 2 of 4