Starting tank?

26 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

bigwillcast

Starting tank?

by bigwillcast

Ok, so I just picked up this 55 gallon that's currently my cichlid tank...

What would it take to convert this thing to salt water?

Full list of parts, DIY tips, and costs associated.

Thanks guys.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

well........... ill give you the rough estimate since nobody else has posted yet, they will provide the details

first, do you want corals?

next are you going to have a sump?

Basics would be prolly like around 60 lbs live rock- avg about 5 bucks a pound
80 lbs live sand, approx, which you can get the bagged stuff from hte store and your rock will seed it, not exactly sure of the cost there
light, depending on if you want corals or not from like 80 bucks to 400 or so, also depending
skimmer, kind depending on if you are goign to have a sump or not, could be around 150- 300, some ppl say you dont need them, ill leave it to the other guys
powerheads.... eh prolly like 60 bucks
test kit- 40 or so not really sure there
filter- needs to turn over id say like 300- 400 gph, just me, im running an fx5 that turns over 900+ , at least thats what the box said haha

needless to say the conversion is easy, the 55 gal tank is practically the chevy 350 engine so parts are endless for it.

Now we wait for the real experts to post..... and correct the things i said lol

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Just a fish only with live rock.......not too bad. If you want a reef....your looking at doubling costs. easily. 55 is a good starter size, for sure. I would get a Aqua C Remora Pro and dont waste your time with a canister. I would run a sump with a filter sock.....throw it in the washer machine with a little bleach and rinse it well....cost are a LOT less with a filter sock. So a sump would be ideal.....dont go buy a pre made one...build your own. Buy a 20 gallon long throw in some baffles and live sand, BAM. You have a sump refuge and a place to hide your equipment. C siphon overflows are awesome......and they dont take up a lot of space...U tubes take up a little more space.......but *never* fail. They do if something gets stuck in them but thats the only reason. I would say setting up a 55 as a fish only....and you already have tank stand and general lighting to light your fish.......80 bucks for sand....100 for live rock.....sump and overflow 200.....protein skimmer 200 about 500 bucks. For a fish only. :) Not too bad though really.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

I would post more.........but I have class in 10 minutes. Gotta run!

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

you must know that you really should plan on spending more than you think, IMO that is the msot common mistake, for example i expected to pay about the 100 bucks that fihsboy said on the live rock but im easily at 200 right now and dont even have all that i want... haha a perk of the hobby

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

hers my 2 cents

2 aquaclear HOB 110 filters {bout 50 bucks each at the store, maybe cheaper online}

1 redsea prizm HOB skimmer {bout 100 bucks}

2 korilia 3 powerheads {50 bucks each}

might need a couple cheapo maxi jet power heads but their like 20 bucks at my LFS

3 bags arag-live sand {black, pink, white or mix em up, your choice} { thats 60 lbs and abot 30 bucks a bag}

live rock ...........it's realy endless..........i would buy a 40-50 lb box from live aquaria or drs foster and smith or something - - prolly 150 bucks

nice powercompact light set with 10,000k white light, 460 actinics and led moon lights - - - US Satilite Current - -30 inch is about 150 bucks

test kit 40-50 bucks

RO water {from the culligan dispenser at wal-mart} .33 a gallon plus the jugs on the first go round, then you just pay for the water after that - - - -or an RO/Di filter at about 200 bucks

that should get you started in a FOWLR {fish only with live rock} tank that is easily upgraded to corals down the road as she matures

not cheap but that is a good solid reasonably worry free novice set up .......sumps are nice but can be scary for newbies, canisters are great but can be tricky to service, refugiums are basically another environment to care for - - -all good and better in the long run but not the easiest to start out with

BOSS

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Yeah pretty much what boss said. My lfs doesnt charge a lot for sand.......for a 40lb bag hes charging 35 bucks. Thats arag alive primo stuff. If you do run the aqua clear hob.......dont run the bio stuff....its not needed with live sand and live rock. Run two sponges instead. I just spent 4 hours at my lfs talking prices.....one show piece of Live Rock is 175 bucks.......its 35lbs.......But still. If your looking at primo stuff.....its going to cost you like everything else in life. I couldnt even talk him down on it either. I would encourage you to buy one piece of premium rock.....and get the rest dry....It will encrust with life from the other rock in a few months...http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?Pag ... &ProdID=40 Thats a great website with decent prices. Dry rock 50lbs for 130. I would buy a few pieces live.....and the rest dry. A little cheaper for sure!

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

sell a small car, you will have heaps then.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

haha funny thing is you think hes kidding...

dram5376799

by dram5376799

Just and advice man, research a lot, and get the best possible equipment depending on your budget. I upgraded lights and filter like 3 times before getting to what I got now, and when you sell used equipment you don't get nearly what you paid for it.

Starting tank?

26 posts • Page 1 of 3