Starting tank?

26 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

Hey fishboy. If you your red slime is cyno bacteria than I have a solution to your problem. I have been fighting the red slime since my tank was established and I tried everything. What worked for me was a phosban reactor and after it is installed keep the lights on your refugium on 24/7 and only turn your tank lights on for 1-2 hours per day for 2-3 days. What that does is have the cyno release the phosphates and then your phosban reactor will absorb the excess phosphates and keeping your refugium lights on all the time will have your micro algae absorb any excess nutrients. Those two things together will end the cyno cycle for good.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

hmmm muchas gracias! I will try that out for sure. I did a water change today....so that should help as well.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

2 part is contributing imo, do you have corals fish boy ?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

yup sure enough. right now just zoas and some xenia....both are VERY healthy...

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

first off 2 part i love but one thing the trace elements get high imo, or chloride ions, 1 of the 2 i am not sure, when i use just the 2 part for extended periods of time i get a slight outbreak, i now use powders inbetween the 2 part + do more water changes, never see the red stuff..so mabie it the 2 part... also i would do more waterchanges,corals produce toxins....do you have fish ?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

haha yup two clowns a scooter blenny and a six line wrasse. I know all hell is going to break loose when I get my 70 up and running and everything switches over to it......so im not tremendously worried yet. I just sucked 90% of it out with a siphon during my water change. I got lazy......and didnt do my water changes....everything was reading out okay.....so no biggie. Jan or Feb I will be moving to the 70.....and possibly buy 4 blue green chromis and a small foxface or tang. Money is something I dont have a lot of........(routine) maintence on my car today cost me 350 and my car payment is tomorrow.....so im poor till febuary.....basically.

Starting tank?

26 posts • Page 3 of 3