Starting tank?

26 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

I have had both types of filters (HOB / Canister) and then I switched to a sump with refugium. By far I would recommend a sump with a refugium. It would cost less in the long run (filter pads & Charcoal for filters) and you water parameters will be so much better. Before I build my sump (20 gal long tank with partitions) I always had a problem with Nitrates being a little high. After 2 days with a sump and no filters my Nitrates were 0 and all my other parameters were spot on. A sump will also add water volume to your tank which is always a good thing (bigger the tank the less swings in temp & water quality). I will agree with fishboy about the filter sock in the sump I just added one last week and put some activated carbon in it and my water is crystal clear also any excess food gets caught in it and reduces the amount of skim mate in you protein filter. I have a picture of my sump in my profile and I built it myself for all of $25.00 ($20 for the tank at Petco and $5.00 for the plexiglass and silicon at Lowes). One word of advice about lighting, if you ever think you will have corals buy Metal Hal. Lights or large amounts of T5 lights with Actinic light bulbs and 10,000K - 20,000K bulbs.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

qdeeber is correct........BUY METAL HALIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have had pc/vho/T5/NO bulbs......I am FINALLY moving to metal halide. Nothing will shimmer like a halide will. You can get a decent set up with a magnetic ballast at hellolights.com for a fair price. I will be running a 250 metal halide.....two T5's.....and one power compact...... Sounds crazy but my lfs has it on his tank and it looks AWESOME. It will be great for dawn dusk. sumps are intimidating........thats for sure. I had a HOB for 4 months because I was afraid to go to a sump.... Now that I have a sump....HOLY CRAP. I havent done a water change in two months.......and everything is at 0. :) Im loving it. (will be doing a water change sunday) :) My buddy has a 125 with a 20 gallon long sump.....NO partitions a skimmer and a filter sock...and its GORGEOUS. Thats all you really need. An occasional bag of carbon is good too....

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

the good news is projects don't really intimidate me. So when I do decide to make a saltwater tank. A sump will be built.

Any websites to look at building your own sump?

gdeeber

by gdeeber

This site will give you some great ideas about sumps and you can construct them out of fish tanks or acrylic.

http://www.melevsreef.com/29g/sump/design.html

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

ok, I'm pretty confident I can build one of these refugium's... I'll either build one out of acrylic or use a 20 gallon long.

But what goes inside? I'm totally new to all this stuff and I'm sure I sound like an idiot.

ok, let me rephrase the original question.

I want a REEF tank. 55 gallons. With a refugium and a sump. Tell me exactly what to buy and I'll start piecing it together.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

You have the 55 gal main tank so by a 20 gal long for a sump and divide that 20 gal long into three sections your largest section being your refugium. then the middle section will be for your equipment like skimmer, phosban reactor, heater, etc. and the last section will be to house your pump for returning your water to your main tank.
As far as what equipment you should get I would look at the list of equipment people post under thier profiles. Some people like skimmers some say if you have a refugium you do not need one. someone my not find a need for a phosban reactor and some people swear by them.
Money is always a factor no matter how wealthy you are. I suggest you go the sump route and then make provisions in your sump for a skimmer, see if you need one and if so you can add it at a later date. The one thing you can not change at a later date without wasting money are lights. I know I said this earlier but if you ever plan on having corals go with Metal Halide lights.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Yeah for sure. Halides. I cant wait to hook mine up. If you can get a nice prebuilt coralife or aquamedic hood.....24/7 lighting. Which is optimal.... Run a filter sock....These things are like an AC in your car. You dont have to have it......but it sure makes things a HELL of a lot easier. When you buy the socks....buy 4-5 so you can dirty up 4 before you throw them in the washer machine. Check out some of our sumps....I have pics up....Personally I just go the all natural way of filtering... Its FREE and easy. Berlin sump....I have 60lbs of live sand in my 20 gallon sump.....its a lot..I have live rocks and my filter socks a skimmer and a return.......no chemicals at all. And everything reads out nicely in the main tank. With a reef you want to think about adding calcium...Three ways Kalkwasser(this SUCKS) two part(okay but a pain in the ass to dose everyday) or a calcium reactor(pain in the ass to set up.....but no headaches after that....ever) I use a 2 part solution because im not made of money. cost me about 50 bucks per 2-3 months. I use Oceans Blend and im getting INSANE amounts of coralline algae growth. I cant stop it from growing in my front panes....I scrape it once a week its growing so fast. Theres a shit ton more information.....GREAT BOOK....*The consctious marine aquarioust* poor spelling sorry.

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

humm might look into that book...... does it take long to do the daily dosing or is it jus one of those things you just put a few drops in or whatever

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

books are good but personal experience is better. thats why this site is so good. every bodies experience all in one. books are good for pic ref but

fihsboy

by fihsboy

That book kicks A@# for sure. I have read it at least 4 or 5 times. I agree with puff.....experience beats all.....like right now im getting red slime....joy.....so its cutting back with dosing siphon it out tomorrow....and let it go away. daily dosing is like brushing your teeth after a while.....yes its that routine. You get used to it. And when you go on vacation...ehh w/e your tank will be fine. :) haha.

Starting tank?

26 posts • Page 2 of 3