General Newbie Questions?

176 posts • Page 15 of 18

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

the OBs color is slowing coming back. Could it be the clout? I know that clout removes the oxygen from the water, but i have a bubble bar in there. I did a 30% water change today and he seems to be doing MUCH better now.

the blue ahli is def going to have to go back. The ruti island, OB, and the white top afra are all picking on him.

miami754

by miami754

Clout is powerful stuff so it could be stressing him. That's why I wanted to be 100% sure of what your Ahli had before I told you to use it.

It is fine to take the ahli back, but just know that you may find similar problems with whatever else you put in there unless you make more hiding spaces.

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

Miami, there is a LOT of little places for them to hide. Pictures don't do justice, I bet there's atleast twenty hiding spots for 7 fish.

miami754

by miami754

No, cichlids don't work that way. You can't line the bottom of your tank with twenty caves and then say there is plenty of space for them. It's not like each fish picks out a home and just lives there. The other fish can still see them. What you have to do is break their line of sight so the other fish in the tank cannot see from one side of the tank to the other. That is what I am talking about. There needs to be stacks in the corners or on one side of the tank or something where fish can get in behind them and hide. Cichlids do not generally just sit in one cave the whole time. They need areas that are blocked off from the sight of the other fish when they are hanging out. Cichlids require a lot of rock for this reason. They also prefer it because that is how they eat in nature (and they will do so in your tank after you establish a nice bed of algae on the rock. Trust me. I'm not being rude. I'm just telling it how it is. As long as you don't supply adequate rock, there will be aggression issues in the tank. If you can live with these issues then fine, but don't expect them to go away until you follow my advice.

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

it'll have to wait until next week when I can afford more rock. I can't find this stuff for cheaper then 2.00 a lb, therefore, it needs to come slowly.

This lace rock stuff is reallyyyyyy irritating me. I know these places probably buy it for .40 a lb. I just can't find out where.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

So..are you planning on getting yet another tank to house the cichlids you've invested all of 2 weeks and 70 odd posts on, or just bringing them all back to your LFS...?
Didn't take very long to get bored with them and look to greener pastures eh..?

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

lol no, what I plan on doing, long run.. is getting a bigger tank for the cichlids and converting the 55 gallon to saltwater.. or vice versa. who knows. All I know, is the cichlids are here to stay for a while.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

ever thin about making you rock??.................

http://www.garf.org/

look in the how to section on makeing arapcrete rocks ...........pretty interesting, i'm gonna make a bunch of base rock and arches for my new 200 gallon then get small pieces of premium tonga from my lfs to "seed" it with - - - his tonga rock goes for 15.00 bucks a pound and his show pieces start at 100.00 and go to 500.00....but man their beautiful

just a thought ...................

Boss

jweb1369

by jweb1369

boss, i believe that stuff has to cure for months and months before you can place it into a tank.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

well sorry for my indirect accusations then...just thought you were kinda limited budget wise.

General Newbie Questions?

176 posts • Page 15 of 18