General Newbie Questions?

176 posts • Page 12 of 18

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

miami754

by miami754

I pay $1.20 or something like that here in Colorado. I know another store in town charges like $2.50.I would try a rock yard if yuo think the LFS prices are too high. I have hard you can get the rock for quite a bit cheaper.

I'm not sure about the black porous lava rock stuff. I would just go and check out whether or not you like the look. You could also google lace rock and see what other names it goes by.

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

picked up the 55 gallon today. real sharp tank, really like the stand and everything. happy with it. got a bullshit speeding ticket on the way to get it.. but ya know, whatever. will post up pics when I get a chance.

also got 50 lbs of sand and another 600 powerhead and a biofilter. The tank only came with a 150 heater, so I went and picked up a 300

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

and the best price I can find on lace rock (only two places have it) is 2 bucks a lb.

This fish tank stuff is an expensive journey

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

lol..............my new lfs in my area got one of the last loads of Tonga branch live rock and he's selling show pieces {which are usually over 30 lbs each} for 15.99 a pound

price a good 400 watt metal halide light fixture too........................make you wanna sleep with guppies after that............lol

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

well, kinda got jewed on the tank.. the lights don't work and the hood is messed up (she told me about the hood) anybody got one laying around for a perfecto 55 gallon? oak? it's got the center brace.

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

picked up 20 lbs of lace rock, a really sweet piece of drift, and a new hood today (only 32 bucks.. bonus). here's a shitty picture of the tank from my cell phone.
4fb98-Fish tank new.jpeg

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

that window might wreak havoc on you with algae

very nice looking tank !!!!!

Boss

miami754

by miami754

Very nice looking! Good work. I'd love to see some closer pics to see the actual layout. It looks like you did a really nice job.

If you do see some algae build up from the window, just buy a non-sheer, thicker curtain up there that will block the sunlight.

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

lol I knew I should've commented on the window. I actually used a window sealing kit thats like cling wrap for winter, so that blocks out a lot of the heat and light and stuff. For some reason in that picture it looks like the sun is really bright but it isn't ussually that bright.

http://cichlaholic.com/gallery/v/gcca20 ... s.jpg.html

That thing is amazing! where do I get one? it looks HUGE. anybody know anything about this species?

one problem: Since I got my electric blue ahli, he isn't very active. He just basically chills in his lil cave and if he does come out he stays in the general area and doesn't really swim. Is this typical for this breed? cuz its starting to worry me. He also has like a piece of skin hanging off his bottom lip (I assume this is from fighting with another fish)

miami754

by miami754

You can't get that species. It is a CA (Central American) cichlid and you can't generally mix African and CA cichlids because their require such different things. Sorry, man.

In terms of the Electric Blues, yes they do hang out in caves more than some of the other African species. Mine generally just sits in his big cave and then swims out to shoo others away. However, mine is the dominant one in my tank so he gets to sit where he wants. Yours sounds like it might be showing signs of damage and is hiding. Is this correct? Have you seen anyone chasing him or circling? What is the dominant fish in your tank?

General Newbie Questions?

176 posts • Page 12 of 18