General Newbie Questions?

176 posts • Page 14 of 18

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

usually loss of color is a sighn of stress, the brighter colered the fish the happier and less stressed they are, this is one of the eaysiest indacators if your fish is happy or not that and clamped fins

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

what are your current water readings?

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

just noticed something from one of your pictures, dont store your food on top of your light fixture the heat is not good on it

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

my water readings are all 0. This tank is no where near cycling yet, it's only been set up for 3-4 days.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

what is the PH?

miami754

by miami754

What are the symptoms of the Ahli at the moment? Still eating? White feces? Sluggish?

Clout is not something you can just dose once and be done with. There is a very strict regimen to go through in order for it to cure Bloat (if that is what your fish has - hence, the reason I asked the questions above).

A1 is right, loss of color is a sign of stress. What temp are you running your tank? Did you move anything over from your old tank to seed the bacteria? PH?

Is the OB being pseverely icked on? You don't have a lot of rock for the fish to hide so that is why I am asking.

Once we know more, we can help you out.

bigwillcast

by bigwillcast

The PH is high, it's always high, that's how the water is up here, somewhere between 7.8 and 8.4.

The temperature is a steady 76 degrees.

Nitrites and nitrates are at 0.

all the rock that was stacked and the fake plant, as well as the sponge filter and powerhead from the previous tank are in this tank.(as well as an additional new 600 powerhead and sponge filter) And the bubble bar.

yes, miami that is his symptoms. and the OB is one of the more agressive fish in the tank, he is def not picked on.

I think I'm just going to take the blue ahli back and it's such a shame cuz he's such a damn pretty fish. (unless you guys can come up with a way to make him quite being such a puss? He is the BIGGEST fish in the tank and from what I hear, they're supposed to be agressive. What's this guys problem?!) BUT, he is so scared and stressed in this tank that he just hides in the corner. And if he comes out, the OB makes sure he quickly goes back. Also, the OB and the ruti island seem to want to square off, stare at each other, look like they're gonna strike, then they back off. (kinda weird)

What about the following species for my tank (for the future, not now):

-Bumble Bee
-Red Top Zebra (by far a favorite of mine)
-Red Zebra
-Aulonocara Fire Fish
-Lemon Jake
-Convict
-Lawanda

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i belive that convicts are new world ciclids, but o could be wrong here i am sure maiam knows better than me but if it is that is a def no. i really dont quite know about the others though. unless you are talking about a bumblee bee gobie then that is a def no..... it will just become a tasty treat for the fish.
On the ph..... from 7.8 to 8.4 is a huge difference i know that it seems small that is almost 10x more alaki( or 10x more acidic, how ever you want to think about it) than eachother, so i would suggest also trying to find a way to stabllize your Ph this could be the cause of that stress in the OB bigs swings in PH can cause stress or even death

miami754

by miami754

Is the Ahli eating? If not and you want to keep him then I can give you the curing process.

It sounds (and looks) to me like you simply don't have enough hiding places in your tank. You have to break the line of sight in your tank and provide places for the others to hide. There will always be a dominant one in your tank and the others need places to hide or they will become stressed.

In terms of your fish:

-Bumble Bee - nope, too freakin mean
-Red Top Zebra (by far a favorite of mine) - yeah these would be fine
-Red Zebra - yep, these would work. The males are some of my favorite. It is hard to tell online, but if you get a male in a nice environment, he will get thie amazing blue in his fins. It is amazing.
-Aulonocara Fire Fish - I think these are peacocks. Peacocks are much less aggressive than mbunas so you generally shouldn't mix them.
-Lemon Jake - Again, I think this is a peacock so no
-Convict - This is a new world cichlid. Can't mix Africans and New Worlds
-Lawanda - I don't know anything about this guy

miami754

by miami754

The pH swings are brutal on fish like A1 said. Having a somewhat constant pH is much more important than a particular value. That could very well be your problem for the OB. I also think they need more rock.

General Newbie Questions?

176 posts • Page 14 of 18