suggestions please

25 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

acerkai640

suggestions please

by acerkai640

i finally finished my tank and well im curious on everyones opinion on what the next step i should do or what should be added to accomadate my fish but till look natural. thanks for your help

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/friendemail.php/21443

-acer-

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

A dark blue taped on backdrop, some live plants, some good lights? Tank looks nice.

acerkai640

by acerkai640

well i painted the back that color cuz im painting my wall that color and i was hoping it would look cool but now im thinking i may have been wrong ( f*ing rookie)....lol
-acer-

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Yeah, a darker background looks really good and more natural too. It would really make your fish and the light substrate stand out, and give it a more peaceful, quiet look.

I would put a lot more plants in, real or fake (green, not that sick pink stuff ugh!). The Rams LOVE to hang out under plants, more so then caves. So do Tetras, they like to hang out in them and spawn in them too. You could put it along the back and sides. It gives the fish a place to hang out and with the middle kind of open a place to swim around. Plants in a set up like yours helps them feel safe and secure. I would add more wood or rock too.

I found just looking thru the pictures on this site helps me come up with ideas.

Looks good so far!

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

You didn't say if the tank is cycled, or if it is, how long has it been cycled?

Z

acerkai640

by acerkai640

hey dizz thanks for the help, im already planning on getting more wood and some more plants but im out of money for now, luckily i get paid soon.
Z ,ive had this tank up and running for about a month and well i took all my old stuff and added to this tank to help it cycle faster and i added some stuff my LFS gave me (smells like rotten eggs) and let it run for a week straight no fish no nothing, then finally added my fish and its been running great for me
tested my water today and
nitrate:8
nitrite:0
gh:150
chlorine:0
alkalinity:~115
pH:7.6
my hardness is high just cuz i have VERY HARD water where i live
im doing 20% change tom.
so i should try moving the tank and paint behind it or scrape the paint off now and put paper background?
o just didnt want to overcroud it with plants and stuff cuz i like to see my fish out in the open and swimming but if i just a few more things you think they will be happier too? thanks again
-acer-

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

many fish appriciate hiding places....some you will see more if they have more hiding places than if they have less, because feel more confertable. But also watch your water params, especially if your tank is not fully cycled yet, Rams are very sensitive to water changes, you want to make sure that they have a established cycle, or they will become stressed.
and also is your whole setup or DIY or just the stand?

acerkai640

by acerkai640

the stand is my DIY and soon to be hood too. its going to match the stand. it will be 6' long x 4" tall x 18" deep for the lights then on top of that will be a 37" long x 5" tall x 18" deep box to make it look like the small top box and smaller part of the base is holding the tank, best i can describe it. most of the plants ar DIY too.

quick DIY:
i took some cool looking silk and plastic plants from a (store that sells fake plants fo the fake flower arramgements)- walmart/kmart- $3/each for a nice size bundles, then some aquarium sealer $5, a tiny clayflower pot $0.50 and some gravel from the tank (to blend in better).

cut the fake plants the size i want, then pull the leaves up to have a long sturdy base. oil the clay pot with olive oil (so the sealer doesnt stick). put a few rocks in the bottom then a dab of sealer put the sturdy end in the sealer and rocks. put alittle more sealer and rock. push them down to create a the base. put some more rock on top to help hold up the leaves. let sit overnight to dry. now carefully pry it out of the pot (carefully loose rocks will spill esp. top layer no sealer). thats it your done. let sit a few more days to air out and dry - no vinegar smell. so you should have plenty of leaves let over to make a few more still.
bought plants $10-$20
DIY plants $1-$3 each

thanks
-acer-

gumbii

by gumbii

um...

just make sure you pull out the metal wires inside the fake plants...

k...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Sounds like you're pretty good art making stuff. I'm a live plant guy myself. I like how they just keep on growing. I've got extra plants and I'm even mailing some off to another member when I get off my ass.

Sweet tank though.

suggestions please

25 posts • Page 1 of 3