Are Lunar Lights waterproof?

34 posts • Page 1 of 4

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

zambize

by zambize

I just got some of these cool lights and it looks like you're supposed to affix the unit containing the two blue LEDs to the underside of the cover using a couple of screws. However, this is really close to the water, and definitely in splash territory, but the product info says nothing about this thing being waterproof.

Some of the instructions may cover this ---- "Just plug into a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) power outlet and plug Lunar Link into the receptacle. Then simply attach the Lunar Link to your aquarium canopy or internal hood reflector using the supplied mounting screw."

I don't know what a GFCI is...perhaps it takes care of the zap-you-gotcha issue?

The whole page is: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=12760

Also, it says to use one light (containing two LEDs) every 24 inches. I don't find that to be anywhere near enough coverage, although I've read that many other people do. I dunno.... Any experience out there? Or opinions about the waterproof issue?

Thanks Guys!
Zambize

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

unless the fixture specifically says water "proof" it is not..............water "resistant" means it will handle a little splashing and such...big difference

a GFCI receptical is designed to ground out when a fault is introduced and trips {you'll see a reset and test button on the outlet of a GFCI} the other option is you get to be the ground if it is not a GFCI protected circut - - -not a plesant expierience I promise

as far as looks at 24inch incriments...........i think thats completely up to you, LED lights aren't going to generate heat or anything bad like that ---- i have one white LED moon phase light built into my fixture and when the lights in the room are off that is more than plenty of light and looks very cool shimmering in the tank and doesn't keep the fish in an active state ..............so they rest

please be careful electricity and water are nothing to mess around with ...good luck . . iwas an electronics technician/electrical engineer for 15 yrs designing, installing and maintaining fuel facilities, so please feel free to ask questions ...no such thing as a dumb one ..... i would hate see anyone get hurt

Boss

zambize

by zambize

Hmmm...can I get zapped bad with just the typical wall outlets and the typical power cords from all the fish stuff? Probably a stupid question...but I thought about it before and I really thought it would be an "ouch" and not much more....

I've got a messy pile of cords....

Z

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i have been zapped by both 220 and 110 mind you the 220 was much worse but 110 was not that much fun either. it is weird you can feel it travel all through your body....until it finds the quickest way out. mind you it all happens in a split second but feels like slow motion, the 220 seemed like it was super slow motion.. and i had trouble letting go of what was shocking me......yay for HS welding class

gumbii

by gumbii

i've seen some waterproof ones at fosters and my LFS... they look like neon tubes with LED's in they...

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Hmmm...I'm always standing in water when I unplug my filter at feeding time.... In fact, I'm always standing in water.

Zambize

(Thanks Gum, I'll check into that.)

snowboss

by snowboss

get some drip loops put in them cords girl and yes 110 VAC will grab ahold of you and hang on ...............not to be grusom but it will kill you...............

GFCI power strips, or outlets and drip loops will protect a lot

drip loop is simply useing a bred tie of something like that to hang the cords in such a fashion as they don't lay in the water if theres a spill and if water runs down the cord it will drip off before it get to the power source

and electrician can change a standard outlet to a GFCI for as little as 10-20 bucks if you know one to 100 bucks for a full service call..................pretty cheap insurance if you ask me

Boss

jweb1369

by jweb1369

When I was in high school I stuck a paper clip in an outlet and it felt like someone just haymakered my back. I turned around and was about to fight someone but no one was behind me.

gumbii

by gumbii

um... idiot...???¿¿

lol... that has to be the most retarded thing i....
jklasdfjl;kasdfjkl;sadffjkld;sdfjkl;dfsajkl;dfsaljkdsajkljkdsfalfdjkasfjdk;slfadsjkfdkj

holy smokes.. and you were in high school...

lol...

oh man that was a good laugh... freaken jewb...

jweb1369

by jweb1369

yea it was an experience haha. when i was in elementary i blew out the power by putting an amp meter in a socket and the school lost all the test grades for our comprehensive test and everyone had to retake them. i got in a little bit of trouble, haha.

34 posts • Page 1 of 4