money making addiction????? is it possable???

68 posts • Page 1 of 7

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

I just me a couple who need some excavation done to put in a green house ........in the process of giving them a bid they tell me they are going to be putting up 4 more green houses this year and are actually looking for people to put green houses on their own property ...................so ok i start asking questions..............

Turns out that they are raseing vegies hydroponically .......ok thats cool right ? now it gets better ..............on the end of each green house is a 25X25 foot garage with a 2000- 2500 gallon tank, in there they raise tilapia and use the green house as basically a biological filter/refugium - a 30x60 foot green house produces approx. 10,000 lbs of vegitation monthly and 2-300 lbs of high quality tilapia - a self sustaining "green" farming process......i think im going to have a meeting with them and the investers and see what the long term feasablity of this is....hell i might be selling all the construction equipment and going hydro....................lol

thoughts?????

Boss

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Thats insane! I was able to visit FSU's marine biology department once with my mom when she was going for her bachelors in marine biology and she let me see their tanks they had set up. They were like actual above ground swimming pools in this locked up room. They had all kinds of saltwater fish. It was really neat.

So let me get this straight... The water from the tank runs through the green house and back into the tank filtered? If so that sounds plausible and very natural and healthy I would believe. Not sure if the water would be pristine clear but the water quality should be awesome. Sounds like a self sustaining ecosystem that you could live off of for quite some time especially if they are doing a hatchery. If they get a permit to sell them as a business they could also make some good money on the side. Sounds like a good investment if you have the time because it also seems like a job.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

yeah it would be a job...............i don't know all the ins and outs as far as the filtration goes, i think it goes from the tilapia tanks to the green house and then runs through a gravity filter to remove solids, other than that it looks like a pretty clean system...the tanks are for raiseing fish not display tanks ...the guy told me that other than complete set up and complete tear down one person can take care of 2 30x60 green houses easily .but like i said i need to compile a lot more information - -check out www.nevadanaturals.com and tivolinaturals.com - - the tivoli naturals people are right here in the next town and want me to do the excavation stuff for them

im gonna meet with them and see if a couple smaller green houses would work in place of one large one {i don't have the room for a big one on my personal property} but could squeeze a couple small ones in here and there

jweb1369

by jweb1369

thats cool, if you do get it going make sure you take pics to show us!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Way cool idea. When I eventually buy land I'm going to try this idea. I love plants and grew up with huge gardens, and I also seem to have a thing for tilapia. They breed like crazy, are super tough, and eat more food than any fish I've ever seen. This probably explains their ideal use as a food fish as they also grow very rapidly. They're really cool aquarium fish too. I have about 4 generations of tilapia from 1 cm long fry to 6 inch adults. I have one female holding eggs in her mouth and I just returned about 7 adults to the lake I origonally aquired them from. Really smart buggers too.

snowboss

by snowboss

yeah im stoked to talk more in depth with these people and see what the deal is.......if its a hobby type thing then great but im really interested in the posability of making it a business............i would love nothing more than to get up and put my boots on to walk to my rainforest temperature green houses as opposed to climbing into a plow truck next January......lol

gumbii

by gumbii

¿¿¿grow weed...???

snowboss

by snowboss

lol . . . i was waitin to see who would bring that up ..........you listen to micheal Frantii too eh................................rock on Gum

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I used to have some big halide lights and grew some mighty fine bud. I also worked at Cornell University's plant breeding dept in the greenhouses during the winter. I was working with polenating broccoli plants and processing the seeds as well as tomatoes.

My stepmother also has a big greenhouse in Ithaca where she runs her orchid busniss. That is real nice in the winter.

gumbii

by gumbii

i don't do drugs... never have, never will... but i know kid slang homeslice...

68 posts • Page 1 of 7