No Water Change In Six Months

65 posts • Page 4 of 7

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yasherkoach

Re: No Water Change In Six Months

by yasherkoach

Okiimiru wrote:
> "The other reason the tank's liquid testing is in neutral parameters
> is because I make a point of having over 100 trumpet snails (only to be
> kept somewhat depopulated by the loaches), olive nerite snails and ramshorn
> snails. The snails naturally clean the tank of all leftover food
> debris."
>
> Snails don't clean aquariums, not when you look at the big picture. They
> eat fish food (which would have if uneaten rotted to become ammonia) and
> convert it into poop, which degrades into ammonia. They just add a one or
> two day delay to the decay of the food. When their bodies decay when they
> die in your tank all that nitrogen they used to grow their tissues returns
> to the tank. No net nitrogen is removed from the aquarium. With plants,
> you actually do cut the plant tissue out of the tank when you trim the
> plant. Thus some nitrogen is removed from the system. Plants clean your
> tank. Snails don't.
>
> The total net nitrogen into your tank comes from the protein in the fish
> food you add. The total net nitrogen out of the tank comes from either
> water changes or plant trimmings. Snails do not change the net nitrogen
> balance on the tank.
>
> Accumulation = In - Out + Generation - Consumption
> Nitrogen in your tank = Fish food in + Plants taken out

I completely disagree with you with respect for I know you've been around for some time in this hobby. Nevertheless Okiimiru, snails, especially the malaysian ones I have, well over 100, possibly up to 500, for at night, the snails come out (when the room is completely dark, I sometimes shine a small flashlight into the tank, and there are literally hundreds of small to large snails roaming the walls of the tank, the rocks, the plants etc, cleaning every nook and cranny - they even leave behind their "cleaned" trails as proof)...snails are scavengers - outside of shrimp - the best around.

Snails eat algae and decomposing flesh can be of great benefit to the aquarium keeper. Snails are very thorough cleaners of glass and rocks and can get into the nooks and crannies.

Now I do agree aquarium snails, of all kinds, excrete ammonia into the water column. But the ammonia is so minute, that the levels of ammonia never peak above 0 (as all my liquid tests show).

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Okiimiru wrote:

> Not feeding the fish is kinda the cruelest of the above mentioned
> techniques because the animals suffer from hunger.

Fish in the wild sometimes go without food for days. Fish in the wild receive in sporadic times.

I never feed the fish, for one thing, at any set time. I try to mimic their natural habitats. I feed on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. I feed every other day. I test for ammonia and nitrite on Sunday plus any pruning of algae.

Fish without food for seven days is fine considering the odds if I continued to feed the fish, the ammonia level would have risen. The last time I fasted the fish was back in December 2011 (I keep a log book of everything that goes on in the tank since I started this hobby): from Sunday December 25, 2011 thru December 28, 2011 I fasted the fish for the ammonia read 1.5 ppm on Sunday; on Thursday December 29th, the ammonia read 0.25 ppm, and then on Sunday January 1, 2012 ammonia read: 0 ppm.

So if the fish are fasted, there is no reason for water changes. As for the fish have lived cruelly, this is a bit prosperous, for the fish did not get ill, they behaved within their normal behaviors, they fed off any organism in the tank and the tank itself naturally progressed back to a normal state.

Now you may say, at the beginning, I was experimenting, this is true - but I must tell you, I never harmed any fish for these fish are like my dogs, they mean much to me - though I am a fish eater (I like sardines, shrimp, etc - I know, how ironic, right, as I know most of us eat fish from the market), I would never ever subject the aquarium fish to any cruelty. And since January 1, 2012, the ammonia levels have read 0 each time I tested it plus the nitrite is always 0 and nitrate is 30, oxygen 8.2 and temperature 76-80 F with ph 8.2 (faucet water is tested at 8.2).

Again, we all have our varied different perspectives on this hobby - and I truly respect your position on the snails even though I do disagree for I know you know the hobby very well, you are more chemically experienced and/or educated, but I know the tank I have very well, and other than the redtail shark stressing out the platys, the tank I have is as near as a natural environment one will find in this hobby (except for a few that have tried this type of habitat as quoted from other members on this site including yourself).

In ending, yes, snails do clean, and though they excrete ammonia, it is of such a small amount, that the liquid tests do in hand prove this, the ammonia from snails does not wreck havoc with the ecosystem in the tank.

Whew!

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

Please let me try again to explain the concept of a mass balance. There was a typo with a + sign being where a minus sign should be in my previous post but I seem to have lost the ability to edit it. *shrugs* I'll try again here.

Let us assume that your aquarium is a closed system. The nitrogen in the tank water stays in the water and the nitrogen in the air stays in the air. The only way that nitrogen enters the tank is when you add fish food, as protein in the fish food. The only way nitrogen leaves the tank is either through
1. Removing water during a water change
2. Removing plant trimmings
3. Removing fish and snail bodies

Now, assuming that there is minimal exchange of nitrogen between air and water (which is a valid assumption), these three ways above are the only way nitrogen is getting in or out of your aquarium. If we're not doing water changes or removing fish or snails, the only way left to remove nitrogen is #2, removing plant trimmings. This is the method that I do in my tanks. I frequently trim the plants and remove plant tissue. Because I am not removing fish, snails, or performing water changes, logically the plant tissue that I am removing is equal to the fish food that I am adding to the tank because there is no accumulation of nitrogen in the water column.

The nitrogen mass balance is:
Accumulation = In - Out + Generation - Consumption
Water concentration + Substrate poop buildup = Fish food added - Water changes - Plant tissue removed - Snail/Fish bodies removed + Fish/Snail bodies decaying - Fish/Snail bodies growing - Plant growth

So with a net balance on nitrogen, you see that unless you are removing snails from the tank there is no change to the nitrogen in the tank because of the snails. If they live out their whole life there and live and die in the tank, there's no net change. That's why I said that snails do not clean your tank. Yes I understand that they do lick algae off of the glass and make the tank more aesthetically pleasing. In that manner they do clean the tank. In a way we are both right.

As to the feeding of fish, not every fish eats every other day. Vegetarians graze constantly. Top chain carnivores eat infrequently when they catch prey. Scavengers and omnivores eat nearly as often as vegetarians. How they eat in the wild depends on the type of fish you have. I understand that your not-feeding-the-fish-for-a-week technique was necessary to reduce the ammonia concentration and save their lives. They probably didn't enjoy it, though. There are alternative techniques you can use to lower ammonia concentration if that ever happens again, such as water changes and growing plants.

Alasse

by Alasse

As i've stated. nitrogen is only 1 of many things hat build up in a tank. Fish secrete hormones and the ONLY way to remove them is with a water change.

While i am not an advocate of the MUST do weekly water changes, I've been known to leave then 4-6 weeks myself, but i find 6+ months to be just plain lazy. Doesn't kill you to pull a bit of water out and add some fresh stuff in.

As for the fish in the wild go without, these are domesticated fish, not wild, and making them go 7 days without food just because you dont want to do a water change is cruel & completely uncalled for.

Sorry Yasher i just cannot agree with what you are doing, and due to my feelings will no longer be following this thread nor responding.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Alasse - that one week of fasting was back last year, and the fish may have "felt" better with a full stomach, so to speak but the fish were feeding off the tank organisms - it was only for a week out of six months...odds are in my favor

As for being lazy...actually I kinda miss water changing - I used to water change twice a week, 8 gallons on Thursday and 8 gallons on Sunday, I did that for over three years. It is not at all about laziness, it is about not disturbing the tank as much as I can plus the tank's chemicals are balanced, so there is no need to water change...............but Alasse gave up on my thread, so I'll just, well - whatever (((smiles))) - though for Alasse to give up on an argument is not like her...is it really you Alasse......just kidding

As for Okiimiru - I do trim plants sometimes, mainly if the plants are yellowing, but this isn't very often...I thoroughly understand the nitrogen cycle - thanks for breaking it down for me - so let me ask you a question: beings my liquid test results are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 30 for a little over three months...are you saying, those test results cannot be relied upon? And though no fish have died (except for four platys due to stress from the redtail shark), the plants are flourishing and the water is clear, are you further stating that beings there is nitrogen in the tank, the tank is really on a destructive path and all the liquid test results and/or visual observations cannot be relied upon?

Please clarify your position

I would like to share with you what got me started with no water changing. I met a marine biologist, and we started talking about fish in general - he prefers salt water but he was well aware of freshwater aquariums as well (the guy was from Germany, I never met him again after this one time...anyhow) - I explained to him that I water change twice a week, 16 gallons a week, and he said that water changing actually causes the fish to stress because the chemicals being put into the tank all of a sudden wrecks more havoc on their systems than if there are no water changes at all...he did say, that there will be some evaporation and that will give me reason to supplement the water - and he was right - I put about 2 gallons of water a week into the tank. He even said, because I asked him, wouldn't the chemicals like ammonia, nitrite go crazy...and he said, in time, there chemicals via the nitro bacteria will ease or stabilize, and you'll, meaning, I'll be fine.

The reason I bring this up is, I got the idea from him - no water changing. And to my utter surprise, I found that the only reason the ammonia or nitrite goes up is because I fed too much - reason for the fasting - and once I figured out how to feed without having the ammonia or nitrite go up in the slightest, then I realized that German guy was 100% correct.

So who's right - the tank I have with proven chemical results; a marine biologist who knows fish better than most of us including myself; and/or those that are astonished by what I am doing.

Nevertheless, I would be interested in if you would answer those questions regarding nitrogen.

Thanks much

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

It's NOT like Alasse to back away from a fight! That's no fun!

One thing that bothers me about this whole thing, and i think i've made this arguement before, is that in nature, water is continually renewing itself. Rivers flow into lakes and oceans, rain falls, water evaporates etc. And even our most lightly stocked tanks have way more fish per gallon than any natural body of water. So, i don't see leaving fish swimming in the same water for months at a time as being natural at all.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Natalie - I understand, and when I used water change, and when anyone on this forum would say they didn't water change, I'd always defend the argument FOR water changing...I was a huge water change freak, sometimes I'd, at the beginning of the hobby, a few months in, I'd take out 50% of the water, by bucket - I never used, for a little over three years, a siphon hose, I always used a bucket (I'd siphon water into the 5 gallon bucket, carry it to the tub, dump, repeat it a few times, then fill the bucket up in the tub under the faucet, then lift the bucket to the rim of the tank and slowly pour it in - I did that for 41 months to be exact).........but after listening to the marine biologist, and attempting no water change, I found it does work

now I completely understand rivers/oceans/creeks/even lakes continuously changing or re-shifting its waters - that too used to be my argument - if you ever peer over all my earlier threads in 2008-2011, that was my argument: water changes mimic constantly changing water in creeks, rivers etc...so I don't fault that argument

But I will say this much in defense of my new position: first I top off the tank with 2 gallons of water every week (sometimes 3 gallons, but usually just 2 gallons) and beings there is a high amount of current in the tank (even a couple pictures I just took of the tank show this), the current shifts the water about in the tank, even the plant leaves move or sway slightly due to this current...so there is constant movement in the tank except for the far right side of the tank, the water is calm (I wanted it this way for some fish prefer not too much current (the stillness is where the rocks are) plus the added 2 gallons of water in the tank each week amounts to a shifting of waters in the tank - and though I will agree with you, water changing 25% of the tank water per week is much more beneficial or creates a greater shifting of waters, the 2 gallons I do add is about 5% "water change".

But you know something, after debating the subject matter with Okiimiru (and Alasse etc) I started thinking: even when I was performing all those water changes, the fish and snails were in the same position as they are in now; that is, liquid test kits are the same, their behaviors are the same, the water is clear, there is a constant flow of current, the sunlight provides the lighting (this way even before no water changing), no filtration (even before no water changing) and no breakouts of disease such as ich occurred before no water change and after no water change...so if I never told anyone I have not water changed in six months, fish keepers and/or people in general would assume I was actually water changing because that is the thing to do as a fish keeper.

Of course you know me, I can text forever, so I'll leave it at this - I understand the water change position - I too defended that position - but if there is a current, no illnesses in the tank, chemicals are within their normal parameters, the fish are behaving normally, and the fish love eating every other day either frozen bloodworms or human foods like peas, chicken, liver, etc...what is so bad with no water change?

Once again, I welcome all comments regardless if they are negative or positive...I sure do hope Alasse would participate, for even though she is a tough girl, I truly respect her positions (one can tell simply by the pictures she posts in this hobby).

Thanks much

DanDman18

by DanDman18

I think I’ll jump in and offer my $.02. First off, let me say I personally am against
Yasher on this, and am siding with Alasse and others.

-"But I will say this much in defense of my new position: first I top off the tank with 2 gallons of water every week..."

-I feel you state this as a way of falsely justifying your actions as though this is akin to doing slight water changes, let me say that it is not doing anything, ammonia and other harmful chemicals do not simply evaporate out of a tank with the water, so whenever your tank loses water, your ammonia levels will raise, due to an imbalance in the Ammonia to Water ratio, by "topping off your tank" you are simply re-diluting the ammonia, but not removing any of it. As in salt water tanks, when you "top it off" you have to use plain unsalted water, because what evaporated was only pure water, no salt. Now if this was stated as a way of exemplifying how you provide similar current as in a stream or lake, this is also flawed, in that rivers, lakes, etc., all have major water movements, where large amounts of water are gradually changed usually in massive quantities, simply adding two or three gallons a week and relying on bubblers to do the same thing in your tanks is not even comparable, because all your water is still mostly the same thing as it has been, not much new water and is not identical to water shifts in nature. The closest thing to that would be an automatic water changing system.

- You state your fish “seem happy”, how do you KNOW, or ASSUME your fish are happy, can you talk to them and get a feel for how they’re doing, probability says you can’t. Therefore, I feel it is unwise to make assumptions about “how your fish feel” and rather, think of it logically. Would you want to swim around in your own urine if all the harmful parts were filtered out? Probably not, why, because it is still urine. Heck, most people feel disgusted when one child urinates into a pool. Therefore, I cannot fathom your reason to leave your fish in their urine/water combination for such extended periods, without sufficient “pure” water being added to your tank.

To sum up my thoughts, I feel your method, goes along with society’s downfall. The theory that: we can get something to “work”, regardless of how illogical or immoral it may be. Example:

Person 1-“I bet we can put this pig’s head on this man’s body.”

Person 2- “Why, it serves no purpose, and seems highly immoral, so why would we do it?”

Person 1 “Because we can.”

But I digress, I’ll end this philosophical ranting and relate this to your tank, just because your tank seems to work, doesn’t mean it is working well, nor is it natural, and you cannot truly tell how it is to “be a fish in your tank,” you rely solely on test stripes to tell how well your tank is struggling to maintain itself; all the while, the simple solution has been knocking at your door; water changes.

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

So, uh, not sure how clear I was on this, so I'll say it flat out. I don't change my tank water but once in a blue moon. My tanks go months in between water changes. Ammonia is 0 ppm, nitrite is 0 ppm, and nitrate is constantly in the lowest ppm category on the test strip, 0-20 ppm. My plants absorb the nitrogen and any toxins the water has. My fish are healthy and breeding.
Current picture of my 55 gallon Elassoma gilberti tank: http://gallery.nanfa.org/v/members/Eric ... 3.jpg.html My fish are one inch long maximum length in that four foot long tank, so it's hard to see them without zooming in. There are like 50 of them in there though.

Establishing a water-change-free tank is not unethical and is not unhealthy for the fish. Diana Walstad thoroughly explains the concept in Ecology of the Planted Aquarium. There is a lot of data published in the book about the mechanisms behind how plants absorb nitrogen and metallo toxins.

On the flip side, water changes are not unethical either. As long as the water coming in is dechlorinated and the same temperature, pH, DH, and KH as the water in the tank, there's no reason not to do water changes. I do water changes about once a month or three months for two reasons: tannin buildup (I don't like yellow water) and as was mentioned before hormone buildup (but by the plants, not the fish. Some plants commit chemical warfare against other species. I used to have Myriophyllum aquaticum and I did some research and found out it secretes a phenolic compound that inhibits the growth of other plants. I switched to other, less aggressive plants and make sure to do water changes just to make sure all the plants play nice with one another.).

I'm currently designing a water-change-free saltwater tank. Link if you're interested: http://forum.aquatic-gardeners.org/view ... =29&t=1429

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

DanDman - for one thing, I do not use test strips, I use liquid test kits (for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphorus, oxygen, iron, high & low ph, even calcium plus a temperature gauge...when things go haywire with ammonia or nitrite, I will test for those other chemicals...still my question is left unanswered:

suppose I never told anyone I haven't water changed in six months, that the ammonia, nitrite are reading at 0 and nitrate at 30 and temperature is steady at 76-80, there are live plants, the water is clear, I have a current in the tank and a heater...and also suppose, I had a filter at 700 gph (for a 55 gallon tank) and overhead lighting and a water pump, and I siphoned the tank once a month (or skimmed the gravel for debris) and that the tank was not in direct sunlight...suppose all the proper procedures in the fish hobby were followed.............would you say I am doing something wrong? would you say I am cruelly treating the fish? could you say the tank is healthy?

honestly answer those questions?

the simple answer is: well the tank is doing fine because you are water changing, ammonia and nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 30 and temperature is steady at 76-80, and that's all because of filtration, lighting overhead and water changing..............or is it?

this is the contradiction you guys are failing to admit to

in other words, fish keepers test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and temperature....why? to make sure the tank is healthy...right?

I do all those tests...but because I do not water change, I have no overhead lighting instead direct sunlight and no filtration, all of a sudden I am doing something wrong...right?

another sign: no fish dying, no ich or other diseases in the tank, outside of the redtail shark, no other troublesome incompatibility, no cloudy water, no algae bloom, fish are eating robustly, no fish at the surface gasping for air, no extremes in temperature - stop me if I'm losing you?....no brown water, no tannins, no fish scraping off objects, no swim bladder issues, no fins nipped, no overcrowding, no yellowing of plant leaves, no algae outbreaks even though I grow cladophora (and prune it), no fish jumping out of the tank, no diseases, no parasites, no bacterium...should I go on? (let me know, because I will)

but still I am doing something wrong?

let me read your counter-argument(s) to the above-stated, we'll go from there

No Water Change In Six Months

65 posts • Page 4 of 7