Do I have enough bacteria in my tank?

23 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I wouldn't put anything with added fertiliser into your tank. This fert is for terrestrial plants, not aquariums.

If you don't have live plants it can't be that much trouble to remove all your decor and vacuum all the gravel. I actually would remove all the decor and with my hand I'd stir up the gravel till the water is really nasty looking, and then do a 50% water change. Sometimes I stir up the gravel and make the water nasty, turn off all pumps and aeration, and when the gunk settles I vacuum it off the top. Turn the pumps/filter back on when you're done, and it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes total.

As for me, I thought you were a woman mainly because of the girlyish avatar you use. It's beautiful, but not something most guys would use. It reminds me of my girlfriend with all the flowers she has all over the dash of her car. I keep telling her she's gona get strangled by her flower rope someday. All in jest though! I drive her car sometimes and people give me looks, but oh well!

If you have one tank that is cycling correctly it should be quite easy to get the other tank going by simply putting a pad used in the established tank into the new tank. I'd be surprised if you had any spikes of nitrite or ammonia as long as you add fish slowely. I thought you were using "spring water" and it was working for you. I'd do the same with the new tank.

I've done some speaking with someone who does use R/O water, and that person adds a product called R/O Right to make R/O water perfect for aquariums.

It's just something to considder.

I'd put 1 or 2 fish in right away, and then if parameters are good add a fish every couple days.

I never seem to have problems with ammonia, or nitrites. Actually I've never had a positive reading of either with any of my tanks. I always have live plants though, so this may be why. I don't do water changes very often either. My main reason for water changes is to dilute the minerals and other substances that remain when the water evaporates over time.

I top off my tanks every week or so, and I do a 30% or something water change every month thereabouts. I don't worry about nitrates because the plants use it up as fertiliser.

I add some fertiliser to my high light, co2 pumped, planted tank, but it contains no nitrogen (a main ingredient in houseplant fertiliser).

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Augh! "Girlyish"? Holy crap, I'm changing that avatar...I ain't girlyish!

Zambize (And that's an alternate name for my favorite shark, the Bull Shark)

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

lol zambize go back to your betta avatar, it's sweet and not many people take as much pride in their bettas as you do.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I'll take that under advisement. ;) In the meantime this girly person is expending excessive energy to save this Betta...sheesh.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

the lengths we go to, to save that which we love!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'm sorry! I liked the Betta avatar.

Those are artaficial plants??? Wow! They look real to me. I can see why it may be hard to clean around them now.

I'm sending betta good thoughts. Hope it makes it.

I bought 16 Cardinal Tetras yesterday and there's only 10 or 11 left. I believe the shrimp are eating them. Boo hoo! I hope the rest wise up soon as they were supposed to be the showcase fish for this tank.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

I liked the betta pic too...

zambize, the first time i cleaned my tank as thoroughly as these guys suggested, it took me awhile... but it was well worth it. Every time it gets easier, and i have an undergravel filter, so believe me it seemed like a daunting task, but now i have it under ten minutes... its too the point where when i vacuum i really dont see any gunk move up the siphon... but my numbers prove otherwise, cuz after a cleaning my numbers are at zero again. So don't be fooled by what you can't see... its there.

Good luck.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

It depends on the kind of gravel you have, but personally I don't get as much crap out with the siphon unless I get in there with my hand and stir up the gravel as much as possible. The water may get so filthy when you do this that you can't even see the fish anymore, but if you do that, and have the pumps off so the crap can settle on the surface, within 10 minutes or so you can then vacuum up what's settled on the surface of the gravel.

I also have a couple Dojos and I like the way they can stir up what's on the bottom so the main filters can grab it.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I do enjoy cleaning the tank, oddly enough, and I get great satisfaction out of seeing my incredibly clean tank so I'll be doing my new cleaning routine right away. My fish are cleaner than my dogs already.

I was contemplating replacing the Betta pic anyway because my focus here is my tank. I kept him up because he made it to #2 in the freshwater fish pic ratings. But still, girlyish, ick! Ok, I guess it was, but really, you'd just have to know the fish. LOL

Ms. Zambize

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Holy cow...I did a water change and cleaned beneath my plants and driftwood. It was foul. My squeaky clean tank was disgusting. The filters are churning away on the rest of it now...

Zambize

Do I have enough bacteria in my tank?

23 posts • Page 2 of 3